Fiat G50 Series I Finlandia

Thread: Fiat G50 Series I Finlandia

Fiat G50 Series I Finlandia

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - Other

Description: Fiat G.50 Series I Finland

Unit: 1/LeLv26 Kilpasilta, Finland Mar 1943 (this aircraft had 5 victories with various pilots)
    Pilot: L. Kalkkinen

The FIAT G.50 Freccia (Freccia means Arrow in English) was first flown in February 1937. The G.50 was Italy's first single-seat, all-metal monoplane with an enclosed cockpit and retractable landing gear to go into production. Italian pilots disliked the sliding cockpit canopy, which was not easy to open quickly. So, in later production series, an open cockpit was adopted.

Fourteen G.50 were drawn from the first Series I production batch and shipped to Finland in January of 1940. They were assigned to LeLV 26, then stationed at Utti, but the unit was still in training when the so called Winter War with Russia ended with a peace treaty in March 1940. The enclosed cockpit canopies perspex began yellowing and fogging leading to the removal of the sliding canopies and painting over the fixed rear canopies.

Twenty one more G.50s were delivered during 1940 (two lost in transit), this time from the Series II version. Finland declared war on the Soviet Union on June 25, 1941 after the Russians bombed several Finland cities. With LeLv26, The G.50 saw its longest and most successful service in the two Finnish wars against the Soviet Union, the Winter War of 1939 1940 and the Continuation War of 1941 1944. Overall, LeLv 26 achieved 52 kills against only 2 losses in combat.

Credits

Captain Kurt: Aircraft model, VC, paint textures, aircraft flight files, and .dp
    Kelticheart: Prop blurred texture
    Gauges, as far as I know, credit goes to kelticheart, mvg3d, Chalachew, Beepee, and Gius for their WWII Italian gauges.
    The panel, much modified, is based on an IL-2 panel.

Thank you to all of them for their hard work and attention to detail.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Fiat G50 Series I Finlandia
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

CK,
    thank you very much for going the extra mile with this version - really appreciated,
    Ro

Thank You, Kiitos!!
    Ken

Kurt, thank you, nicely done once again

It's surprising to me how popular Finnish AF subjects are with the CFS2 flyers ...

Thank you Captain!!!

Any chance for a version with skis?

Thanks, Kurt! Really nice, again!

You're welcome - to the few who commented.

Roxane, Sorry no skis. As near as I can tell from my references, skis were only tested in the interim between the Winter War and the Continuation War. I have seen only one plane, FA-33, even documented.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Thank you again Captain for this plane. Damn, open cockpit in a country with freezing temps? Maybe this plane wasn't suitable for a cockpit heater?

Library Staff
    Thanks very much Kurt for this and the SCW model - great work!

Members who have read this thread: 56