F-86 Gunsite hints?

Thread: F-86 Gunsite hints?

F-86 Gunsite hints?

I feel like the gunsite is trying to tell me something but I don't understand it. I am consistently shooting too far behind and then too far ahead. Any one have any tips on how to read it? I doubt that there is a replacement for it...

I'm not sure what the default reticle is supposed to represent. I've replaced it with the K14 dynamic reticle using AnKor's Shaders to simulate the K-18 used in Korea.

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="US_aaf_k14_gunsight" PosX="0.0125" PosZ="1.70" PosY="1.050" Pitch="90.25" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>

Some interesting reading on the subject https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/518186897
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thank you so much. Although not what I asked for, this is exactly what I need. I have the AnKor's shader mod applied so I should be able to change the reticle.

I was able to install the dynamic reticle. Is the "dynamic" aspect the ability to change its size, or should it also respond to g-force? I can change its size but it doesn't respond to g's.

It moves with your head position so that it stays aligned with the boresight.

Very useful with TrackIR.

It does also respond to G-force if it's turned on in d3d8.ini. You can adjust the amount of motion to match your expectations. Here are my current defaults.

; Enables or disables (if set to 0) head movement due to G-forces in cockpit view (offset and rotation)
    HeadShake=1
    ; Controls the magnitude of head movement. Default value is 100. Rotation is unaffected by this setting.
    OffsetScale=100
    ; Controls XYZ offset speed. Low values have high inertia so the response will lag more. Typically 4 to 100 with higher restoring the head position faster. Default 12
    OffsetSpring=9
    ; Controls rotation speed. Low values have high inertia so the response will lag more. Default 24
    RotationSpring=9
    ; Offset Damping with low values being more damped, Default 6
    OffsetResponse=9

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I do not have TrackIR so can the reticle respond to g-force only? The documentation explains how you can set up ranges for the Gunsight Wingspan and the Gunsight Range and that there are commands for each. I see that Shift+{ and Shift+} takes care of one dimension, what are the keyboard commands for the other?

Shift+[ or ] rotates through the entire sight range so the "*" in the range just extends the range and is not a second dimension. Someone said that CTRL+ [ or ] changes the brightness of the reticle but I did not find that to happen, at least for the k14.

I've been playing with the headshake, offset, and rotation parameters and the reticle is dynamic now. I don't really like the head shake but looks like I have to have it to get the dynamic reticle. I'm surprised how the parameters are functioning. I was thinking that I was trying to move the reticle to where the bullets are going due to g's, but it looks like the parameters actually change where the bullets are going along with the reticle. That seems a little like cheating! I am working on a getting a set of values that allow the aimpoint to move about the sight glass but not go completely off it...

I don't to bore any one with my experiments but my current setup is:

OffsetSpring=14
    RotationSprint=18
    OffsetResponse=2

And I set the gunsight ranges to 0.25|0.50|0.75

Question: do the range values just represent the size of the reticle or do they represent the convergence point of the bullets? Smaller reticle means farther out?

Thank you so much for your guidance.

It sets the size of the reticle to match differing target sizes at the convergence range. (e.g. a heavy bomber appears much larger than a fighter at 300m so the circle is bigger)

Convergence distance is set in the xdp file in the GunStations section.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Is the convergence distance in meters? I've read that the F-86 was often harmonized to 1200 feet which is about 365 meters.

Yes, I set most of the default reticle calibrations so the lead ring is close to 300m for the typical target sizes.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

When I added the reticle effect to the Mig-Mad-Marine xdp file, the original static reticle disappeared. When I added the reticle effect to the GunVal version, the original reticle is still there with the dynamic reticle as well. How do I hide the original static reticle? Why did it work for one aircraft and not the other?

The static reticle name must be listed in the [ReticleStatic] section of the TextureMagic.ini in the Shaders30 folder.

Look for f-86_gunsight.dds to support GunVal and the SAAF versions.

Most of the other F-86 use f86_gunsight.dds, and that's probably already listed in TextureMagic.ini.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thank you! I entered f-86_gunsight.dds into the reticle list and it all works now.

Members who have read this thread: 30