162 SkyCatcher crashes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 162 SkyCatcher crashes

Aren't they making that one in China?

Lionus
    if it's made in china, I won't be surprised that it crashed. afetr all, their cars blow up if you fart hard enough inside..:gossip:

6297J
    Yeah, not like those Finnish cars and aircraft eh?
    What were they again?

Lionus
    Porsches? yeah, Caymans and Boxsters are built here.. as for the aircrafts, I'm not sure.

6297J
    Then there is Nokia of course, the only global company ever to come out of Finland. Ah, hold on, it says my Nokia was made in China :caked:

Didn't they have one of these crash in tests a few years ago... and that parachute they have in the wing failed to deploy as well...pilot bailed out successfully if memory serves me correctly...
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Dang..

Im glad no one got hurt..

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

tigisfat
    If the aircraft parachuted down, and noone was hurt, is it really a crash? If a pilot puts his cessna 172 down in a field because the engine lost power, they don't call that a crash.

SOH-CM-2023
    From what I read, they were doing spin testing. That is the most dangerous part of flight test. I imagine that something happened that caused the pilot to deploy the aircraft recovery chute.

Also the NTSB is involved because the aircraft was undergoing flight test and the damage incurred to the airframe when the chute is pulled.

A forced landing is not a crash. A whole airframe parachute deployment is. It's designed to save the occupants life, not ensure the aircraft can fly again. Also the Skycatcher was dragged by the wind for a distance, causing more damage. A cirrus, a few years ago landed under it's chute but the people inside were killed as high winds dragged the airplane across rough terrain.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Also the Skycatcher was dragged by the wind for a distance, causing more damage. A cirrus, a few years ago landed under it's chute but the people inside were killed as high winds dragged the airplane across rough terrain.
    why wouldn't they have some kind of release mechanism to help avoid this?

If the C-162 crashed again when testing out spins, then I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the model....

As Brian said, a C-162 prototype was lost when the Test Pilot was performing cross-control stalls.

Cessna reportedly fitted a larger rudder on to a new SkyCatch to add to rudder control.
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

tigisfat
    How could they overlook the importance of OBVIOUS stability measures if the aircraft was to revitalize flight training? I'm not a aeronautical engineer, but from what I do know about aircraft stability, I don't understand how this could happen. It sounds like they've dropped the ball.

Little early to judge Gentlemen (and ladies), little early to judge.

Some of our best models of aircraft had development and testing issues early on.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

tigisfat
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    Little early to judge Gentlemen (and ladies), little early to judge.

Some of our best models of aircraft had development and testing issues early on.
    I have to disagree. It may be to early to judge the production aircraft as a whole---but it most positively and surely brings attention to the design team. After all, they're designing a trainer.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    After all, they're designing a trainer.
    Do you know the story of the failed T-3A "Firefly" trainer that the USAF had :ques:

SOH-CM-2014
    We've lost alot of prototypes that were early in production through the years.. The F16 was basically unflyable on its first flight. The F117 was lost twice early in the testing days.. Rudder changes were needed. Flew great after that..

No one lost a Bellanca though to spins.. Huge tail(s)....

I do worry though about companies that are so afraid to spend money to have a quality product that they would even go to China to have it manufactured.. BMW builds cars here in America. They have never been in the red. Should private jets be built in China also?

Paranoia I guess.... arrghh.. I shouldnt talk. Apples are made in America but assembled in China.

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    How could they overlook the importance of OBVIOUS stability measures if the aircraft was to revitalize flight training? I'm not a aeronautical engineer, but from what I do know about aircraft stability, I don't understand how this could happen. It sounds like they've dropped the ball.
    And thus, we have prototypes...to discover what needs to be done before it becomes a production airplane...

a little web searching shows it's not really unheardof:

http://www.sahilonline.org/english/n...=4831&viewed=0

http://www.c4isrjournal.com/story.php?F=1865776

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

The old Piper Tomahawk got a reputation from spin testing troubles. I never had a problem with any that I flew, but people were scared of it. Same with the little Grumman Yankee. It had a tiny tail on it and a HUGE warning not to do spins was placarded in the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

I do worry though about companies that are so afraid to spend money to have a quality product that they would even go to China to have it manufactured.. BMW builds cars here in America. They have never been in the red. Should private jets be built in China also?

GM and Chrysler build cars in the US, and they're doing a fine job of bankrupting themselves, so I don't think where something is made has as much of an impact as the original design of the product and the QA that goes into checking it over.

Building something in China isn't inherently a bad thing, as long as the core engineering is sound and someone checks the quality control of the final product.

The FAA has very specific standards for certifying aircraft, and Cessna is going to pay very close attention to the quality of components manufactured over there, since an airworthiness directive can easily doom an aircraft design, not to mention a company.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by azflyboy View Post
    Building something in China isn't inherently a bad thing,
    Impossible to reply without turning this thread political

:focus::focus::focus::focus:

SOH-CM-2014
    My oops.. sorry..

<-- smacks self

tigisfat
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Do you know the story of the failed T-3A "Firefly" trainer that the USAF had :ques:
    yup. I'd love to get my hands on one.

since an airworthiness directive can easily doom an aircraft design
    The Cirrus, a newer aircraft, already has a handful of AD's, and a not so good safety record. And I have to work on them....:faint:
    All must remember, when one flys any aircraft, they are taking a certain risk inheirent in the nature of aviation. Can't accept that, then stay on the ground, and get killed by something else.
    As for the T-3 Firefly, that was made in England, not China, so anyone can make a dud.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

FWIW I head that on at least one of the 162 crashes they were testing with a significant aft Center of Gravity, to determine a safe aft limit, that explains the flattened spin but it seems now that they've had two aircraft parachute failures resulting in the test pilots taking to their own 'chutes, not such a good result. It has to be remembered I suppose that test pilots are paid to find the limits of a design so that any issues can be resolved and safe limitations can be set.

But that is all speculation until a report is published lol!
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

Members who have read this thread: 1