Adding ww1 planes to cfs2

Thread: Adding ww1 planes to cfs2

Adding ww1 planes to cfs2

I recently revived my old flight sims on a home network tcp/ip.. I remember back in the day I had a fokker dr1 on Microsoft cfs 2. So I started digging and found simouthouse..where I downloaded Stewart Smith fokker dr1.. but I have no idea how to get it from my phone into my old windows xp computer. If anyone can help me with that would be greatly appreciated.. thanks...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
    I recently revived my old flight sims on a home network tcp/ip.. I remember back in the day I had a fokker dr1 on Microsoft cfs 2. So I started digging and found simouthouse..where I downloaded Stewart Smith fokker dr1.. but I have no idea how to get it from my phone into my old windows xp computer. If anyone can help me with that would be greatly appreciated.. thanks...Mike
    If that PC is connected to your home network, Is that network connected to the internet?

Priller
    Last edited by Priller; February 23rd, 2024 at 01:28. Reason: Trying to make sense of it all
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Import ww1 planes

It's not connected to the internet.. it's just 2 win xp computers connected to each other with a cat5 cable. Tcp/ip. Last night I downloaded a couple ww1 planes to my phone.. today I used a usb card reader to transfer the plane files from my phones microbsd card to the win xp computer.. and then I unzipped them.
    So now all I need to know is how do I get them into the cfs2 a planes folder.? Tomorrow is Saturday and I'll have some time to try and figure it out.. but it woukd be nice to know ahead of time what steps I'll need to take to get the planes into cfs2. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.. thx

Please help me figure out how to add planes to cfs1 ir cfs2

Please help ..How do I add ww1 planes to cfs1 or cfs2.?
    I remember back in the day I somehow added a foker dr1 red barron plane to either cfs1 or cfs2.? And recently I bought a couple old windows xp computers and connected them together with a cat5 cable.. we have been doing lan tcp/ip quick combat dogfights.. 2 player without the internet.. it's working great but I woukd really like to get a few ww1 planes in the mix but I can't remember how to go about it.. if anyone could point me to a step by step tutorial for adding planes to cfs1 and or cfs2 would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

If you send me a PM with your email-adress (do hope you have one), I'll do my best to help you with instructions.

Regards,

hertzie.

Most are a simple drag & dro[ into your CFS2/AIRCRAFT folder, so long as they are a complete aircraft. The readme with the zip usually lets you know if you need anything else.

For example, my "std" readme instruction is:

"To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install."

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys.. I was able to get 5 ww1 planes into cfs2.. there were a few others that didn't work for some reason.? Idk.? What I did was move the zip files from a usb flash drive on to the desktop of these old win xp computers..then I found the cfs2 aircraft folder.. opened the aircraft folder... dragged them from the desktop in to the aircraft folder and then extract all... it worked for 5 of them.. but there was a few that didn't work for some reason.? Now I just need to find the old Red Barron foker. Dr1 plane I had back in y2k.. or maybe you guys. Could recommend a good red barron download.?? Again thanks so much guys.. once you mentioned putting them into the aircraft folder it jogged my memory.. even though I think I only ever added that 1 particular plane all those years ago..

So I've added some planes to cfs2 . Some downloads work and some dont.. idk why.? The way I have been doing it is to use my phone to download them. And then taking the SD card out of the phone and putting it in my office computer and transferring the files from SD card to usb flash drive. And then from the flash drive into the windows xp computers desktop. Then I open cfs2 aircraft folder.. drag them in to the aircraft folder and unzip/ extract all there..... is that the best way to do it.? Or am I missing certain things by doing it that way.? Is there a better way to go about it..? Also I have been looking for a red barron dr1 to add.. but I think all I found was a repaint for red barron.. im not sure how to do a repaint yet.? Still have not been able to get a full red barron dr1 into cfs2..? Ideally I woukd like to find a full working plane..? If anyone knows where I could find 1.? Thanks again guys.. the kids and I are really enjoying the old games in head to head lan mode..

Where would I put a repaint.? Just unzip it in the aircraft folder.? Or do I need to go further .? I tried to open the aircraft configuration files.. but windows asks me how to open.? Or says it can't open it or something like that.?. Sorry for all the questions.. I've been a long time flight sim nut.. but never did any add on or modifications.. I'm just now realizing how customizable cfs2 really is.. pretty cool

The aircraft.cfg and .dp files can be opened with Notepad. Until you know your way around more, you may only want to explore copies of these files and not the originals, in case you change something you don't want to do.

In the aircraft's folder there have to be at least these 4 folders and 3 flight files. There can also be some other files like Notes but these aren't necessary

Model: contains the 3d models
    Panel: contains the 2d panel (if there is no 2d panel files then the folder and a dummy still need to be in there)
    Sound: contains the sound files or at least a sound.cfg file that references a set of sounds such as the A6m2_Zero/sound.
    Texture: contains all of the paint files- any repaints go here replacing the originals.

The aircraft.cfg file: contains aircraft physical attributes and some flight performance - mainly affects the player's aircraft
    The aircraft.air file: contains aircraft performance -
    The aircraft.dp file: contains the damage profile and weapons performance

BTW - I would recommend unzipping the add on aircraft into a desktop folder before putting it into the CFS2/AIRCRAFT so you can make sure you have the above in the airplane's folder. Sometimes a contributor will leave out something, will reference a sound file that you don't have or even have the plane folder inside another folder that would need to be removed from before putting it into the CFS2/AIRCRAFT folder. We're all amateurs after all so sometimes things aren't quite as organized as needed.

There are 2 whole libraries of WWI aircraft here for you choose from

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu....php?catid=124
    https://www.sim-outhouse.com/freeflight/WW1_CFS2.html

Lots to explore and add on
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

That Is an awesome explanation.. that clears up a lot of confusion with all the abrevations for what's what...thanks so much.. really does clear things up...
    Especially for an old guy who is not and never really was all that computer savvy.. honestly untill recently I haven't even turned the desktop computer on in over 10 years.! Ever since smart phones have been able to go on the internet and search things.. send emails and what not.. I just haven't seen a need to use the desktop at all.. until recently when I came across al my old pc game cds and I bought a few old windows xp computers just to flight sim again.. 25 bucks a piece..! And they all work and run cfs 1...2...3. Just fine...these machines are probably 10 years newer then the games themselves. So the run the games really well.. there is 1 question that remains.. if I wanted to install a red barron repaint for my dr1 that I already have.. woukd I need to delete and replace the existing texture file.? Or just add the new paint file alongside the original...? I woukd guess delet and replace..?and how about add on effects.? Same thing.? Delete and replace.? Or just add them alongside the existing files.? We are really enjoying the old games.. and enjoying the tinkering as well.. I mean if I messed something up I coukd always just delet the whole game and start over.. not that big a deal really.. live n learn.. thanks again guys... very much appreciate your time / info..

Regarding the textures, yes it's a delete and replace. The texture file names and the arrangement of the textures is coded into the model when it is made so t needs to be an exact replacement file.

Effects are called out in the .dp file, but the effects themselves are small .fx files located in the CFS2/EFFECTS folder.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Members who have read this thread: 61