CFS3 Terrian Creation _part II

Thread: CFS3 Terrian Creation _part II

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon4 CFS3 Terrian Creation _part II

May not look like much but flying in Northern Spain by Vigo - don't believe me look at the lat/long!!! Thanks to Steve for his friendly ear. Now to shorelines and then textures. Long way to go but dam!! 3arc SRMT files....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wow.jpg  

That's great news!
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Thanks

Just need to learn how to place the correct scenery texture files. I have a vector tutorial (maybe yours) but placing textures and trees etc. will be the most time consuming and unknown....

So you going South rather than North?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Theaters

I want to model two areas of interest. First being the Battle for the Bay of Biscay. This necessitates moving west a fair amount. I also chose this since I can use (hopefully) the global layer just eliminating all entries further east than what the theater requires. There will be a lot of water so this makes it a bit easier too (maybe). I can use some of the landclass data from the original CFS3 models and learn the way all this works. Once that is done then we go north to the North Sea northwest of Norway. But I am still wanting to complete TOW first and foremost...just waiting for the paint to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    I want to model two areas of interest. First being the Battle for the Bay of Biscay. This necessitates moving west a fair amount. I also chose this since I can use (hopefully) the global layer just eliminating all entries further east than what the theater requires. There will be a lot of water so this makes it a bit easier too (maybe). I can use some of the landclass data from the original CFS3 models and learn the way all this works. Once that is done then we go north to the North Sea northwest of Norway. But I am still wanting to complete TOW first and foremost...just waiting for the paint to dry.
    Alles ist klar!

Thought this might be helpful in your theater creations. You will find topos, road maps, and city maps created by US Army, and British War office. Have fun.

Perry-Castañeda Library
    Map Collection

Europe Maps

https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/europe.html#N

Perry-Castañeda Library
    Map Collection

Spain Maps

https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/spain.html

Perry-Castañeda Library
    Map Collection

Norway Maps

https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/norway.html

Perry-Castañeda Library
    Map Collection

Sweden Maps

https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/sweden.html
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Those maps and resources!

Geez, thanks a bunch these are too cool. Will be put to good use I hope!

rbp71854-Making a tif

The maps that are from the USGS have many colors on them. CFS3 seems to use about 16, do you remember how you converted the USGA maps to CFS3 friendly ones to make the theater tif?

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    The maps that are from the USGS have many colors on them. CFS3 seems to use about 16, do you remember how you converted the USGA maps to CFS3 friendly ones to make the theater tif?
    I did not get to the point of generating a new landclass for the theaters. I did start creating a lanndclass tiff for the island of Hawaii, but my wrist gave out and had to quit all development work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawaii-Landclass.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	93271

I used the topos mostly to create the railroads, roads, harbors, airfields. With GlobalMapper I was able to overlay them on my theaters and generate the vectors and airfields.

ok

Thanks for the ideas. They will help.

Ideas...

The map here uses about 8 different colors, and representations similar to CFS3 (forest, hills, cities etc. ) Just need to keep on searching.... Also found a type called land cover....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ph7s4u31fm511.jpg  

Some of these might present possibilities for the in sim maps. i have always wished these to have more detail. The other maps in the earlier post are interesting historically as well.

Members who have read this thread: 39