Abacus Carrier Strike Force (another one for zswobbie)

Thread: Abacus Carrier Strike Force (another one for zswobbie)

Abacus Carrier Strike Force (another one for zswobbie)

So, every six months or so, I like to check around for old FS9 payware that might still be for sale.
    Last week I found Carrier Strike Force from Abacus for sale on EBay and I snagged it for $26 (US) plus some pocket change.
    This wasn't a direct download but was the good old boxed set on a single CD.
    Reviews for CSF were really thin, like this was an Abacus "stealth" title, but I cover that part of it in the "Getting FS9 Nearly Perfect" thread.
    Note that I'm only covering an FS9 install, although there are also many files for FSX (you're on your own with FSX).
    This add on package dates from 2006, roughly in between Flight Deck 5 and 6.

My CD showed up in the mail today and I want to give a "first look" review of what's included (including scenery locations).

The scenery (AKA "Location, location, location!") -

You get three different carriers, USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6), HMS Illustrious, and Charles de Gaulle (R91).
    While all three carriers are also available as freeware, Abacus usually did a good job in where they located their stuff. In this case, you get-

Charles de Gaulle (R91):

ASF1- in the Med near LFTH, N 42 04, E 06 00. This location pairs nicely with MAIW's French Rafale package.
    ASF2- Persian Gulf south of Khark, Iran (IOBQ), N 28 04, E 51 00.

HMS Illustrious:

ASF3- East of Boston (KBOS) N 42 37, W69 60.
    ASF4- Persian Gulf again, near Kuwait (OKBK) N 09 37, E 46 29.

USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6):

ASF5- English Channel near Manston (EGMH) N 61 40, E 01 36.
    ASF6- Off the coast of El Salvador Int'l (MSLP) N 12 38, W 90 29.

The "ASFX" locations are the Airport IDs you would select in the Go To Airport menu.

The scenery models all look good and include a wake, deck lights, and limited night lighting plus VORs, NDBs, and an ILS. Trap and catapult zones are only included for R 90 (this is accurate). Limited AI aircraft are also included. They taxi around and fly a pattern near each carrier. I'm kind of on the fence with carrier AI, mostly they get in my way, but its a nice feature most of the time. Frame rates are good (I'm locked at 60 FPS) but I'm going to let DXT Fixer take a pass at these textures (call it a hunch). Again, these scenery models are also available as freeware (and are mostly the same) but Abacus always did a good job (IMO) in where they placed them. As far as other carrier scenery, I have a BUNCH of carriers and ships installed and I haven't noticed ANY issues with over-lap or fighting with other scenery.

The aircraft-

With Abacus, this is where it ALWAYS gets interesting.

You get two modern Harriers, USMC and Royal Navy. Abacus had covered the Harrier several times and, to be honest, I haven't loaded them yet.

You also get two separate models of the F-35 Lighning II (AKA Fat Amy), the F-35B (Marines/VTOL) and the F-35C (US Navy, carrier deck equipped). The F-35B bears some striking similarities to the IRIS F-35B/JSF although the Abacus version is more of a STOL version where its tough to take off in hover mode. Bear in mind these files were released in 2006, really early in the F-35's career when there were a lot of unknowns. Panel and VC details look good, by Abacus standards. The Flat Panel LCD displays are a uniform shade of green, so it might be worth swapping in some full color gauges? So, is the Abby F-35B better than the IRIS F-35B? That's your call. They both fly "OK" and its up to you which one feels more accurate, although I haven't played around with trying to get the Abby version to hover (I think its too under-powered and uses a more traditional flight model).

The F-35C was one of the main reasons I bought this package. You get one basic set of textures for an un-named East Coast squadron. In reality, all of the Navy F-35's are based out of NAS Le Moore:

VFA-125 Rough Raiders. This is the replenishment/training squadron where you start your F-35 tour. The call sign I use is "RAIDER".
    VFA-86 Sidewinders. Call sign is "WINDER" although you can use anything that sounds like a snake.
    VFA-97 Warhawks. Call sign "WARHAWK".
    VFA-147 Argonauts. The VRS Super Hornet install lists their call sign as "JASON".

So, get ready to repaint some textures.
    I'm writing this review about two hours after I installed the whole package, so take my observations with a grain of salt, but the F-35C just feels slow. Like, it does just fine in the pattern and on final at 110-120 knots. Top speed? I haven't found it yet. But, it DOES have a tail hook and some clunky bombs on the pylons, so it should be a good basis for some CFG edits. It also flies differently than the B model, which is a good thing. I want to try some carrier landings on some of my CVN's.

Meanwhile, is their anything askew with either F-35? Well, yeah. Both of them have two piece canopies that open to the side. Textures for both models are "about" on par with the IRIS JSF with slightly better dirt and shadows.

Last up is the Rafale M, and you just knew it was coming, this plane has a horrible case of The Yips when its on the ground.
    Start the engines, start to taxi, touch the brakes and then HOLD ON. You're going for a ride. Just switch to the Tower View and enjoy the show because there's NOTHING you can do to stop it.
    To be fair, I think this is an easy fix. The brakes are set WAY too high and a quick buff of the [contact points] won't hurt.
    There's also something fishy going on with the pilot. Either the 3DO for the pilot needs to be scaled up or France has some REALLY young Rafale pilots.

Members +
    Now this looks like great fun, including the challenges of the Rafale.
    Tweaking can do a lot of good as well.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Sbob,

I always wondered if Abacus AV8B was worth the money. Any chance you could get us some screenshots ?
    It's the only one AV8B with a VC available for fs9, apart IRIS GR7/9.

Cheers
    L'iguane

https://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/

Alpha_Harrier_Set_FS9.zip

Really, they all fly about the same and Alpha's VC is sparse but that's a good thing.

Just my preference, but I think Alpha's AV-8B looks the best. With Abby, both the AV- and the GR- share the same MDL file.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbob View Post
    https://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/

Alpha_Harrier_Set_FS9.zip

Really, they all fly about the same and Alpha's VC is sparse but that's a good thing.

Just my preference, but I think Alpha's AV-8B looks the best. With Abby, both the AV- and the GR- share the same MDL file.

I just had a look at ALPHA AV8B, although basic it's not that bad. Could do a "nice to play with" subject with a custom VC layout and full retexture. I think about migrating IRIS airfile & aircraft cfg to this one, with bob barendregt gauges.

Cheers
    L'iguane

Yeah, I took another look at the Abacus Harrier and it really isn't that bad.
    MDL details are kind of scarce but the 2D and VC panels are fairly crowded.

With Alpha's Harrier, the MDL is pretty good but all you really get with the VC is the HUD.

Meanwhile, I spent several hours last night on the F-35C and it's cleaning up nicely.
    I added the afterburner flame from the VRS Super Hornet and it's almost an exact fit.
    I re-used the sound set from the IRIS F-35 and added the Lago cockpit sound files ("Pull up" "bingo" "stall!", etc.) and it sounds about right.
    Also added some wingtip and main wing smoke along with a brown tinted canopy and a green cockpit light to provide some "night vision".
    My carrier landings in the C are still a bit hair raising due to the "digital flight dynamics" but I haven't missed the wires yet.
    This plane is the "keeper" in this set. All it really needs is some light switches and some tweaked FX controller gauges.
    I'm also planning to add a kind of a HUD that mimics the 2D "invisible panel" in the IRIS Mig-29. My idea is that the real HUD is inside the Pilot's visor
    so this should work in the VC. When you pan around, the cockpit moves but the HUD display doesn't. It should look nasty in the 2D view but I only plan to turn it on in the VC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbob View Post
    Yeah, I took another look at the Abacus Harrier and it really isn't that bad.
    MDL details are kind of scarce but the 2D and VC panels are fairly crowded.

With Alpha's Harrier, the MDL is pretty good but all you really get with the VC is the HUD.

Meanwhile, I spent several hours last night on the F-35C and it's cleaning up nicely.
    I added the afterburner flame from the VRS Super Hornet and it's almost an exact fit.
    I re-used the sound set from the IRIS F-35 and added the Lago cockpit sound files ("Pull up" "bingo" "stall!", etc.) and it sounds about right.
    Also added some wingtip and main wing smoke along with a brown tinted canopy and a green cockpit light to provide some "night vision".
    My carrier landings in the C are still a bit hair raising due to the "digital flight dynamics" but I haven't missed the wires yet.
    This plane is the "keeper" in this set. All it really needs is some light switches and some tweaked FX controller gauges.
    I'm also planning to add a kind of a HUD that mimics the 2D "invisible panel" in the IRIS Mig-29. My idea is that the real HUD is inside the Pilot's visor
    so this should work in the VC. When you pan around, the cockpit moves but the HUD display doesn't. It should look nasty in the 2D view but I only plan to turn it on in the VC.

I tried that with the IRIS X-35. it's acceptable in VC mode, although velocity vector and horizon reference gets wrong as soon as you pan up/down or left/right. Hud gauge from IRIS F-15C

Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 67