You are never too old. 102yr old WWII Vet flies Spitfire

Thread: You are never too old. 102yr old WWII Vet flies Spitfire

Blog Entries
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

MilViz HU-1C repaint P3D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Navy TH-1L Huey HT-18.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	93174

This is an advanced rotary wing trainer used by the Navy for many years. Externally it is essentially a UH-1C.

The freeware MilViz Huey downloads include the -1C and -1H. Unfortunately there is no paint kit for the -1C, there is one for the -1H but there is little comparison that is useable in that paint kit.

Only a few pictures are available of TH-1Ls, showing two slightly differen schemes; I chose one I was familiar with, having gone through a helo transition course in Pensacola prior to attending Navy Test Pilot School in the mid 1970s. Although having fleet experience in the A-4 and A-6, I really enjoyed my six week transition training and the fine instructors I worked with.

Repainting this was rather difficult with no paint kit; numorous small but important pieces had to be discovered in the basic white scheme, then painted the proper colors, but in the end, seems to be wirth it.

MVAMS allows using the aft doors open or closed; also how many seats are occupied. These trainers were never used to carry ordnance or external items in the training syllabus that I am aware of.

T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Navy TH-1L Huey HT-18.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Navy TH-1L Huey HT-18.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	93174

This is an advanced rotary wing trainer used by the Navy for many years. Externally it is essentially a UH-1C.

The freeware MilViz Huey downloads include the -1C and -1H. Unfortunately there is no paint kit for the -1C, there is one for the -1H but there is little comparison that is useable in that paint kit.

Only a few pictures are available of TH-1Ls, showing two slightly differen schemes; I chose one I was familiar with, having gone through a helo transition course in Pensacola prior to attending Navy Test Pilot School in the mid 1970s. Although having fleet experience in the A-4 and A-6, I really enjoyed my six week transition training and the fine instructors I worked with.

Repainting this was rather difficult with no paint kit; numorous small but important pieces had to be discovered in the basic white scheme, then painted the proper colors, but in the end, seems to be wirth it.

MVAMS allows using the aft doors open or closed; also how many seats are occupied. These trainers were never used to carry ordnance or external items in the training syllabus that I am aware of.

T
    YO, Mike Nice repaint but what does it have to do with a 102 year old flyin' a Spitfire?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    YO, Mike Nice repaint but what does it have to do with a 102 year old flyin' a Spitfire?
    Sorry - my error; How do I delete this and get it in the right place??

Blog Entries
    No problems, my friend. It is aviation news..of sorts. Going to helos after fast movers must have been a transition. I flew in Huey’s as a pax several times while in Thailand. I also got to fly in a Huey when I was a “downed pilot” for the Special Forces to smuggle out of enemy country (Hurbert Field, FL).

That was a trip. My flight was to the middle of nowhere. I was dropped off with another pilot, shown where we were and told to be here by morning to activate a signal for the “good guys” to know we were to be picked up.

BTW: I have a nephew who flies the Navy’s version of the Blackhawk. He is suffering at a Navy Base near San Diego. Did I mention that he is single. He did do one ship deployment, however, on the USS America.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I sent a Report into either the mods or admin to move your topic into the P3d forum!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I sent a Report into either the mods or admin to move your topic into the P3d forum!
    Thanks much - I still have some trouble starting new stuff

Members who have read this thread: 54