NVidia GTX 285 or 295?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVidia GTX 285 or 295?

NVidia GTX 285 or 295?

I currently have dual 8800GTX 768 mb, and wonder if there would big gains in FSX by changing to either the 285 or 295?

My systems specs are:-

Dell 720 H2C
    Intel QX 6850 clocked to 3.33Ghz
    Vista Ulitmate 32 Bit
    4GB of Ram - 800Mhz DDR2

harleyman
    Hey Noddy.. You have a fantastic card for FSX now in the 8800GTX..

The only real advantage would be a little more memory in the 285 - 295..But I don't think it would be worth the expensive ..

I'm not sure that a newer card would fit the Dell case ...

There's definately a performance difference between an 8800GTX and GTX285.

If you run very high resolutions (1920*1650 and more) with high AA/AF settings, the GTX295 might be worth to take a look at.

If not, go for the GTX285. The smaller GPU (55nm instead of 65nm) alone is worth the money, since it runs cooler and consumes less energy than its predecessor.

Harleyman, if he can fit a 8800 into his case, he won't have problems with a GTX280.

Thanks guys, will have a think on what do.

Next thing I guess will be Windows 7 or to stick with Vista. How easy would it be to bump up to 64bit Vista and increase the RAM to 8GB (Max for the 720) and again are there any major benefits in doing this?

Sorry for the dumb questions but just thinking on the best options without forking huge amounts of cash for a new PC.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    There's definately a performance difference between an 8800GTX and GTX285.

If you run very high resolutions (1920*1650 and more) with high AA/AF settings, the GTX295 might be worth to take a look at.

If not, go for the GTX285. The smaller GPU (55nm instead of 65nm) alone is worth the money, since it runs cooler and consumes less energy than its predecessor.

Harleyman, if he can fit a 8800 into his case, he won't have problems with a GTX280.

Hes not refering to a 280...His question was a 285 - 295 (not sure about size difference in them)

Even if it fits I disagree on it as to actual performance gains vs dollar...

FSX will not benefit from a duel card anyways....

FSx cares more about your CPU than GPU for sure...

Going to Vista 64 is easy..If you use the purchase program that can be a pain, but not to big a deal..Adding more ram is as easy as installing it..You will need the same type and speed though...

Keep in mind that some motherboards struggle with all their ram dimms full, as it stresses the controller some....

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    Next thing I guess will be Windows 7 or to stick with Vista. How easy would it be to bump up to 64bit Vista and increase the RAM to 8GB (Max for the 720) and again are there any major benefits in doing this?
    You'd be better off with 3*2GB Ram, since it enables the I7 to use triple channel mode for memory, which gives a small performance boost.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    Hes not refering to a 280...His question was a 285 - 295 (not sure about size difference in them)
    My bad, that "0" should have actually been a "5".

Even if it fits I disagree on it as to actual performance gains vs dollar...
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127124

If he has the money...why not?

FSX will not benefit from a duel card anyways....
    No one will benefit from duel cards anyways. All that "You, me out front!", "En garde" and "Tomorrow at dawn in front of the CPU cooler" blaffing from the case as well as the sword and pistol sounds...no, thanks!

:d

FSx cares more about your CPU than GPU for sure...
    Well, I doubt this 285 will be for FSX only.

harleyman
    Reviews and charts are all well enough...

But I still debate a need for a card as the 285 or 295 for FSX....

FSX still wants your CPU for breakfast....

Even have a guy here with a single 6600 card with fine graphice on 2 gigs ram... But hes got the CPU horsepower...

He has great cards..Just don't see much gains in the graphice department for dollars spent..Thats my only point.....

For that money go to X58 and the i7 020 ....IMO (costs more ..I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    You'd be better off with 3*2GB Ram, since it enables the I7 to use triple channel mode for memory, which gives a small performance boost.
    He doesn't have a Core i7.
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

.....increase the RAM to 8GB (Max for the 720) and again are there any major benefits in doing this?
    Major benefits? No. I went from 4GB to 8GB of RAM on my Vista 64 bit computer and I couldn't tell that it made any difference. Maybe I'm just not perceptive enough to notice tiny differences.......
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    Major benefits? No. I went from 4GB to 8GB of RAM on my Vista 64 bit computer and I couldn't tell that it made any difference. Maybe I'm just not perceptive enough to notice tiny differences.......

No you are correct David_L6...it will show YOU as the user not any noticable difference i believe.. It will just flow thru its processes easier..IMO

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    He doesn't have a Core i7.
    Whoops, had my head in another thread.

But I still debate a need for a card as the 285 or 295 for FSX....
    I agree when it comes to FSX *only*, but just about every other current game out there (except GTA4) needs power in the GFX department.

The 8800 series reminds me a bit of the F-4...a brick with enough power to break Mach 2.

In terms of efficiency, a 285 would really be money well spent. If the numbers are right, it's a difference of maybe 50W between a 8800GTX and a GTX285 at full power...

harleyman
    Well from what I've read everything but FSX will rock with a 285 or 295...You are correct on that for sure....:ernae:

FSX just can't use the two GPU's in those cards well.. Hell.. Not until FSX SP 1 did we get multicore help..LOL

My card is a multi GPU and it has oddities for sure..Expecially with FS9...wow...

I think the 285 will be fine for any title out there.
    The 295 i think is more of a bragging rights card or if you want ultra insane antialiasing.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
    I think the 285 will be fine for any title out there.
    The 295 i think is more of a bragging rights card or if you want ultra insane antialiasing.

I totally agree.... But its overkill for FSX... But still a great card no doubt about....

But hes intrested in knowing if a purchase as that card will give him big performance increase over his 8800GTX card...

But if ya got it..Spend it..it sure won't hurt a thing...LOL

BananaBob
    I went from an 8800GTS 640mb to the 285 1GB and have noticed a big improvement in other games, especially Crysis Warhead, COD WAW, and Fallout 3 but on the other hand, moving from the Duo Core to the i7 was the big one for FSX, because like said above, FSX loves the clocks.

Charter Member 2015
    I currently have dual 8800GTX 768 mb, and wonder if there would big gains in FSX by changing to either the 285 or 295?

My systems specs are:-

Dell 720 H2C
    Intel QX 6850 clocked to 3.33Ghz
    Vista Ulitmate 32 Bit
    4GB of Ram - 800Mhz DDR2

Put simply....no.
    What you could do,though, is push the QX6850 chip up to ~3.8ghz which will give you a fps increase. It should be a simple matter of increasing the multi in the bios (you may need to increase the cpu voltage slightly). The 720 H2C has pretty adequate cooling so temps should be fine.
    Another option would be to change the memory for faster modules (~1200mhz)
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

You won't see a benefit from the 295.

FSX just can't use the two GPU's in those cards well.. Hell.. Not until FSX SP 1 did we get multicore help..LOL
    The GTX285 is a pure single GPU card.

Flight sims are CPU intensive, you are likely to see a bigger benefit with a faster CPU.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Flight sims are CPU intensive, you are likely to see a bigger benefit with a faster CPU.
    Not needed...just overclock the original chip a little more. I had my qx6850 at 4ghz, only reason I went with the 45nm quad QX chips was for the lower temps.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I have tried it at 3.66ghz, the temps are up a bit but is does seem stable.

When I got the PC it was at 3.46ghz, but had to do a factory fresh install went down to 3.00ghz, so in th BIOS it goes 3.33, 3.66 then 4.00 ghz. might stick with 3.66ghz and see what happens

I have NTuner and tried to change the settings in there but the systems freezes on me.

Charter Member 2015
    Dump Ntune.....software overclocking is dire,much better to o/c in the bios. 3.66ghz would be perfect for fsx....i'd my 4ghz overclock using a Coolit Freezone liquid cooling kit.

Retired SOH Administrator
    I brought that Evga GeForce GTX295 1792 MB DDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics for a tad over 500.00 and the DangerDen 295 water block for another 200.00. I wish I would have tried it out before I installed the water block cause it never worked...lol. Had to go back and install the BFI 260. My 8800 GTX bit the dust.This pooter up date is killing me. The new MB bit the dust after two weeks/ got that got that RMA and this weekend replaced the MB,PS,Memory and was really looking forward to trying FSX out to see if there was a difference. I have been reading a lot of the 295 GTX and from what I have been reading they run hot. BTW, Evga offers a lifetime warranty on that card. I also have been having a problem with BSOD on this other 260 card. I don't know if the 260 card is causing this or not. That is why I ordered a new one to see if the other one is bad.I am already at a little over 2600.00 and still have not be able to play....BOOOOO- WHO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

harleyman
    Dang HeyMoe....Sounds like you really got the problems..Sorry to hear that...

I went thru much of the same for FSX that took a time span of like 6 months so I know just how you feel..It bites..

Thats odd about the 260 and BSOD.... Haed to think a card would do that being new...

Those big cards do run hot, but use EVGA Percission to manually run its fan up and they stay real cool..The nice thing about them is they blow their heat out the back of the case. Not into the computer...

Charter Member 2015
    Nice upgrade, Hey_Moe :ernae:.........I know what you're going through with your 'puter issues. I went through 5 mobo's , 2x cpu's, 2 set's of SSD's, 2 set's of 9800GX2's, a few sets of memory etc with my main pc (cost me €7k+ at time of build:faint. I've used EVGA cards's and mobo's in all of my main builds....in fact i've still got 4 new 790i ultras and a new 680i sitting on a shelf here beside me (note to self: build more pc's)
    Once you have fsx up and running it'll all have been worth it,though. Let us know how that GTX295 performs.........i'm well overdue an upgrade!

Members who have read this thread: 0