ADF navigation

Thread: ADF navigation

ADF navigation

Trying to add ADF function to my Pacific install and can't find a program called "RAF662ADF/NDB Navigational program V2". Would anyone know where I might find it?
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Stoney: I've never seen a V2 version. The one I have archived is:RAFadfhelper-for-CFS2-FULL.exe with additional stuff. Does this help?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Stoney
    I have never used the radio with the adf dial, compass, etc. to find my way back to home base. I was wondering how to use that with the Non Direction Beacon frequencies provided with runway entres.
    I alway return to home base (mostily in Pacific) by reversing compass reading from heading out to combat. Any help appreciated.

Hey thanks Shadow Wolf, I thought I had that but couldn't find it. I've been using the "GPS100A", available here, to program the PNG and Australia airfields and it works pretty good for finding my way to another base in F/F. But I didn't know (and still don't) how to use the NDBs.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Library Staff
    Hi Stoney,

If the aircraft you are flying is ADF equipped - you may have to open a separate panel window - it's just a matter of dialling in the frequency. You can listen to the Morse ident to verify you are tuned into the correct NDB.

The NDBs are given a set range, just like the real things, by the author of the scenery BGL file. Therefore, if you're a long way from base, you may not get reception. In that case, there might be an enroute NDB which you can utilise.

When you have reception, it's a matter of flying towards the needle of the ADF. As you pass over the station you will see the needle swing 180 degrees.

Thanks KD, yes that is how I am doing it now. I use the 2d panel for navigation, never really done it in CFS2 so I'm learning. I didn't even know you could do it. Having flew VOR in real life I think the procedure is pretty cool.

Hi again Stoney, happy to be of assistance.

Kdriiver is correct; NDB beacons are of limited range 100 or 85 miles range. As for using the d/l I posted above, it installs the RAF662 ADF gauge into the panel.cfg of whatever aircraft you choose.

When you open it (the gauge), you can dial up the 3-digit "frequency"of the desired NDB. It is nice to have a chart that lists theater NDBs that you can create on a Text document and post as the Notes file in all your aircraft folders. That gives you the list at just a couple of key strokes
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Thanks to GPS, nearly all of the VORs here in Australia have been decommissioned, while the humble NDB lives on as an instrument approach aid and as an enroute navigation backup.

Good idea SW, I'm going to do that as well.

Ah ha. I think I remember the NDB being useful a few times while riding in the right seat of civilan a/c ( Cessna, Beech, etc) in the mid 50's delivering Sunday Oklahoman newpaper to surrounding cities.

Yep, I did most of my flying in the 1960s. Got married and couldn't afford it any more and it was $12.00 an hour for a J-3.

Stoney
    Yep, I was working on the line service at a small airport and going to college so couldn't afford both, so I am flying here!

Members who have read this thread: 5