COWS DA42 Twin First Look

Thread: COWS DA42 Twin First Look

COWS DA42 Twin First Look

Never heard of the developer, but this looks nice!

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...preview/626616

Edit Feb 4: Release date of Feb 10 announced per this article:
    https://www.thresholdx.net/news/co42rd

The article also states that initial availability will be through Orbx.
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; February 4th, 2024 at 13:12. Reason: Yes, it's "COWS"
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

In all likelihood, on day one...

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Looks nice but these ultra detailed aircraft with the 8K textures have been playing havoc with my rig. I wonder how many peeps are going to be looking at the brake rotors while flying the thing. I appreciate the looks as much as the next guy, but I wish these ultra detailed aircraft could be optimized better. I don't know why, but as soon as I look at an aircraft with 8K textures, I need to shut down and restart everything to get back to normal.

LouP

The developer actually has a history with MSFS, since it's the same person (or people) who did the excellent DA-62 and DA-42 realism mods for the default Diamonds.

It's not just "MrTommymxr" on this one. When I first saw this announced, I started looking for more info on the web and found an article from early last year. It lists the first names of the four that have been working on it for some time now.

https://msfsaddons.com/2023/02/08/cr...da42-for-msfs/

I also found an article in the X-Plane forums that introduces the group and talks about the origin of their name.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php...g-da42-vi-tdi/
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

As I understand it, the developers of the visual model, became aware of the MOD to the stock DA62 and DA40 and contacted MRTOMMY if he would entertain the idea of working together on a DA42 with all the bells and whistles possible in MSFS.
    And since we were at one point considering trading up from the Saratoga to a DA42, I will certainly buy the virtual one.

I'm hoping the launch goes well when they get there so they can finish bringing it to its original intended destination, X-Plane 12. That reminds me though, I need to see if FS2020 has gotten closer to fully baked yet.
    Derry Hoggatt
    2014-2017, 2019+ Around the World Race Team Outhouse

Quote Originally Posted by P51FAN View Post
    I'm hoping the launch goes well when they get there so they can finish bringing it to its original intended destination, X-Plane 12. That reminds me though, I need to see if FS2020 has gotten closer to fully baked yet.
    If you've postponed joy for 3 years as is, you may as well wait for FS2024 which comes out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LostPilot View Post
    If you've postponed joy for 3 years as is, you may as well wait for FS2024 which comes out this year.
    Heck, why rush things… I would recommend waiting for FS2030. Because that will be much better yet. Who knows it may even be better than X-Plane 19 which should be out by then as well.
    People just crack me up at times😃

Quote Originally Posted by LostPilot View Post
    I have many words for my flight around the traffic pattern at KTRK this evening in FS2020 in a 172, but joy would not be the first one that comes to mind. To use a quote from Alex Stone's book Hauling Checks "If I blink for a second, we're gonna eat the dirt!". I'll continue tinkering with it though.
    Derry Hoggatt

I have many words for my flight around the traffic pattern at KTRK this evening in FS2020 in a 172, but joy would not be the first one that comes to mind. To use a quote from Alex Stone's book Hauling Checks "If I blink for a second, we're gonna eat the dirt!". I'll continue tinkering with it though.
    What problems are you having? Eating dirt in the pattern doesn't sound like a simulator problem

I am not going to recommend this or that, since I do not know what you are complaining about. And it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
    But seeing as how there are literally thousands of folks getting great joy out of FS2020, it must be you or your rig that is the problem.
    IF it can run X-Plane 12 half decently it should be able to do so with FS2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny9850 View Post
    seeing as how there are literally thousands of folks getting great joy out of FS2020
    And at no point did I say otherwise. It was in reaction to a session that I think most of us have experienced at one point or another, regardless of your choice of simulator (not even necessarily a flight sim) that you walk away and find something else to do before your tempted to throw your computer out a window. But seeing as I've been able to solve at least a couple of the biggest frustrations I've had with FS2020 and that isn't really relevant to the topic I'll leave it at that.

Anyhow according to the COWS discord they will be including both the VI and TDI versions of the DA-42 in one package, although the VI will be released first with the TDI following as an update. And not that it's a specific timeline but "Coming soon(er) to your hangar in the coming weeks..."

We'll see how long that turns out to be, but I'm still looking forward to it either way.
    Derry Hoggatt

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

"Soon" now has a definition - Feb 10! See I've added info to the top post with a link to the announcement. No price yet though...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 66