MaskRider Australia 2024

Thread: MaskRider Australia 2024

Library Staff

MaskRider Australia 2024

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 - MaskRider Legacy

Description: MaskRider Australia GSL Airfields

This was another project Chris had on his list to do, now completed by Aussie, kdriver & Rami.

The airfields have been updated to GSL destructible objects by Aussie with the exception of Darwin which was converted by Rami.

AFD entries consolidated into a single BGL file by Kevin Driver.

The airfields are now compatible with stock watermasks, Rhumba's 2009 mesh and his 2002 water and Pacific coastal flatten files.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit MaskRider Australia 2024
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22 Reply...

Kevin,

Cheers, mate...and thanks for the acknowledgement! It's another nice surprise...the first was knowing at 5am that there's no school. Snow day!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thank you to the Westfront Team for this gsl conversion. Particularly appreciate the time taken to improve the fit with Rhumbas mesh.

Thank you for this wonderful pack! I am running in to a small issue. I can't seem to find the objects for aus_fuel-drum and aus_pump. They don't appear to be a part of the MR_Library_Objects pack. I saw the alerts when I loaded in to Livingstone.

This is soooo cool. Thanks Aussie and Rami. I luv it.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Thank you all for making this updated version. Sadly, I must say that the text files about installation could do with some revision – some of them refer to a “MaskRider Australia ( folder )” which may well have been a part of Chris’ original work but which does not appear in this revision. Simply copying Chris’ original text as the basis of a
    new text file is not much help to new users.

And I think that you need to be much more specific about these files – “Rhumba's 2002 water and Pacific coastal flatten files”. Experienced users may well understand which files apply here and where to find them, but I doubt whether many new users would find this easy.

Thanks again for a great update.

Well done guys.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
    Thank you for this wonderful pack! I am running in to a small issue. I can't seem to find the objects for aus_fuel-drum and aus_pump. They don't appear to be a part of the MR_Library_Objects pack. I saw the alerts when I loaded in to Livingstone.
    The links to the object downloads are in the MaskRider Australia 2024.txt file.

Library Staff
    Rohan,

The "MaskRider Australia" scenery folder does appear in the revision. It's located in the SCENEDB folder which shows you where to place it. You can place it in the ADDON folder if you prefer.

The original MaskRider Australia package is still in the library. The original readme files, repeated in this package, are still relevant regarding installation and activation of the scenery.

The GSL airfields will still work with a stock CFS2 install. The mesh and water files are in the CFS2 Scenery - Mesh section. I'll revise the MaskRider Australia 2024.txt file to show where those downloads are located.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Thanks a lot for this, Kevin! Very nice to have gsl versions of these great airfields!

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    The links to the object downloads are in the MaskRider Australia 2024.txt file.
    Thank you Sir! I completely missed that in my blurried eyed state last night.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for making this updated version
    Beepee

Library Staff
    I just noticed the elevation for Livingstone had not been amended. The download has now been updated and here are the two relevant files to save you downloading the package again.

I hope everything else is OK.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Kevin
    Thanks for your work with these.

Cheers
    Stuart

PS
    The Broome flying boat anchorage has a sad story associated with it.

Library Staff
    Hi Stuart,

Yes, the Zero strafing attack on the flying boats holding the Dutch evacuees was devastating. The remains of the wrecks can be seen at low tide. The local museum has a number of artefacts from the attack, including a Zero drop tank.

Cheers,
    Kevin

BTW-Darwin Harbor was done by Talon over 10 years ago from maps of the area and is GSL.It also includes towns,Barracks and hospitals in the area.He never released it.There are also layout files for the AA guns,gun emplacements and ships.This all worked with the MR scenery.

He did a lot of GSL work for harbors and installations in the Pacific that were never released.

Just thought you should know about it.

Take care

Library Staff
    Thanks Hiede, Kurt did a layout for the town and port of Darwin which I expanded to include the Catalina bases at Doctor's Gully and East Arm as well as the civil aerodrome at Parap. That scenery was done for Rami's missions on the Darwin air raids.

Aussie has created a number of fine renditions of more northern Australian airfields while I'm slowly working on a few others. Our airfields to the south of Darwin include McDonald, Strauss, Hughes, Fenton and Katherine.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Thanks Hiede, Kurt did a layout for the town and port of Darwin which I expanded to include the Catalina bases at Doctor's Gully and East Arm as well as the civil aerodrome at Parap. That scenery was done for Rami's missions on the Darwin air raids.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Kevin

The Catalina bases and towns are also in the GSL and layouts.Only Parap wasn't done.The coastal gun emplacements are also in the layout files.The map Talon used was dated 1942-1943.He did this for the Japanese Carrier strike on Darwin.From what I can see these files were made in 2012.One of your team members was excited to hear about them because he had a great deal of respect for Talon's overall work.Because of Talon's knowledge he asked him to help with some of his own projects.We still keep in contact to this day.

I just wanted to share what was already done so it might help,but you don't want that.So be it.

Heide....

..I for one thank you for offering the info previously done by Talon (RIP) to help the project. This sim lost a great contributor when Talon passed on. Again, THANK YOU !

Library Staff
    Hiede,

if you don't mind, by all means please send Talon's work. We will be including the updated Darwin scenery in the new northern Australia airfield package. I'm sure Talon's layouts can be incorporated.

Talon also sent me his rendition of the port of Manila, which I've expanded by including the city with Robert John's landmarks as well as the fuel depot upstream to the east. I've added the flying boat base and radio station at Sangley Point and I'm still working on the US naval yard on Cavite. If you have any other work by Talon on the Philippines, it will be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Hiede,

if you don't mind, by all means please send Talon's work. We will be including the updated Darwin scenery in the new northern Australia airfield package. I'm sure Talon's layouts can be incorporated.

Talon also sent me his rendition of the port of Manila, which I've expanded by including the city with Robert John's landmarks as well as the fuel depot upstream to the east. I've added the flying boat base and radio station at Sangley Point and I'm still working on the US naval yard on Cavite. If you have any other work by Talon on the Philippines, it will be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Kevin:

I have a particular interest in the Philippine scenery both in the Manila and Leyte/Ormoc Bay areas for my future update of my USS Essex campaign. Quite a few if those missions take place in the Philippines.

Cheers:

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Hi Greg,

I'll send you the Manila scenery which should be finished soon. RWills has been working on Corregidor and the other island fortresses at the entrance of the bay.

If you need any extra airfields let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Such a quick response! Thanks mate, I'll look forward to them. I still have to finish up the project I have on hand before I tackle the USS Essex job.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

To clear up things.

Talking with Kdriver it seems he was working with Talon's layouts and GSL for Darwin and didn't know.All Talon's Darwin work was sent to him but didn't tell him who originally made it.Someone sent it to him and didn't tell him who did it, so he didn't know either.I sent the Darwin GSL and layouts to Aussie because I saw he was part of the team and he wanted it. He respected Talon's work and he and I still keep in contact.He sent it to Kdriver and he saw that it was the same as what had already been sent to him.Everything has been straighten out now and Talon will get credit for his work.

Three of the people working on this project I have a great deal of respect for and they know who they are.

Hiede

So.... basically, what I'm taking from hiedi is ... in part is Talon work... just a new coat paint added?

Members who have read this thread: 91