Have I reached the edge?

Thread: Have I reached the edge?

Hybrid View

Have I reached the edge?

So I installed Mask Rider's 2022 Philippines airfields, and filled in the gaps of the missing objects. Now when ever I start from any airfield, and aircraft are "breaking". The aircraft 9any aircraft) appear to be disassembled and junked together when using the VC. Please refer to the attached screenshot. Thank you for the help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whats The.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	92750

Edit: OK. I "think" I fixed it. I replaced the objects found in the 2022 version of MR_library_Objects, with the older versions found in lw_library_objects, and that seems to have resolved the issue that I was encountering before.

Looks strange, & the scenery in the background looks OK.

Are you running some "newer" graphics hardware, I seem to recall CFS2 using some old ddraw 6 codes

Some of the most recent cards/ Operating System combos just don't have full "backwards compatibility" anymore

If you deactivate the "new" scenery, do you get your stock aircraft to display correctly once more?

Hi Uncle,

So here are my system specs:

CPU: AMD 5800X3D
    RAM: GSkill DDR4 32GB 3200mhz CL14
    GPU: nVidia RTX 3070TI running 537.42 drivers
    MoBo: MSI Tomahawk B550 WiFi

So the problem I encountered is repeatable and I think I have narrowed it down to one bgl file. I originally had Leroy10's lw_library_objects from 2004 installed. This version was lacking buildings that the most recent airfield packs from MaskRider required. KDriver pointed me to a 2022 version called MR_Library_Objects that contained the missing INF files. Both files contain a bgl file titled LW_Buildings.bgl. When I have the LW_Buildings.bgl file from the 2022 library object file installed, and I am starting at SI Ondonga I see this:

Name:	Whats The 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	92759

If I revert to the 2004 LW_Buildings.bgl, I see this at SI Ondonga:

Name:	Whats The 3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	92760

The 2022 version shows all of the buildings perfectly, but breaks every aircraft if I am on the ground or in the vicinity of ground objects. The 2004 version causes some buildings (I'm guessing the ones that are in the 2022) to become ghost like outlines and not completely loaded, but this doesn't break the game like the 2022 version does. The only difference in either screenshot is which LW_Buildings.bgl I am using, because in both I am flying out of MR Solomon's Ondonga, and using Dbolt's F4u_1A, "Big Hog".

Now I have a "middle" version, lw_library_objects_wfixed_buildingsbgl. The LW_Buildings.bgl in this one is dated from 2006. When I load this version, it doesn't "ghost" the buildings, or cause CFS2 replace the missing textures with grass (which really adds to the 80+ year old feel to them!), which must be why this was a "fix" when it was released.
    Last edited by Browncoat; December 26th, 2023 at 18:07.

Good detective work!

The GFX card is new, but I think Wolfi uses the same or similar, & he didn't report any issues.

Ondonga was one of my (many)Solomons scenery bases redone after Capt Kurt revamped 87 Days early in 2022. I have LW_buildings.bgl in all my installs, but it's dated 2006, & I got it from Maskriders site.

Like you, I downloaded the 2022 Philippines scenery revamp, but haven't found time to install it yet.

If the 2022 bgl is the problem, it must be some of the "new" objects added for the Philippines package? I guess the quick I guess the quick workaround is to do without the missing building in the PI, or someone recompile the PHI gsl file with replacement objects?

Hello UncleTgt,

So, looking at the file size all three versions of the bgl, the 2003/2004 version clocks in at 63937 bytes, the 2006 version is 64022 bytes, and the 2022 version is 64214 bytes. The 2006 version was released to fix issues with the building (for example the Ghosting/and "grass" textures that I saw). I do not know what the 2022 contains for certain to differentiate it. I installed it to resolve missing objects in Mask Rider's 2022 Philippines airfields. From what I can tell, reverting to the 2006 version hasn't caused these previously missing objects to go "missing" again. My hunch for that is that I have the DP files for these missing objects installed from the 2022 file, and therefore CFS2 "sees" them. Honestly I think I'd be hard pressed to identify missing objects without CFS2 flashing a warning modal at me to let me know.

For the past two months I have been working on a specific PTO/CBI theater install. Back when I intensely kept up with CFS2 (circa 2008-2009?), I would create single monolithic installs and have it support everything (PTO, ETO, CBI, MTO and OST). CFS2 can (somewhat) support this, if the additions are done slowly, but inevitably this approach leaves CFS2 in a very unstable state, where a single scenery file out of whack can cause everything to lock up. Not to mention it would take forever to load, and trying to juggle the scenery priority list just would become a chore.

So far I have installed AF scenery for Hawaii and Port Morseby, and all of MR's scenery. What I found is that I have data-pack-ratted away so many of the MR airfield updates that I had to take time to go through all of the old ones to see what I should keep and what to possibly remove from my library. Achim's ETO scenery has been much of the same as well. Next I'll be processing through all of your scenery. After that, I'll move on to a dedicated ETO/MTO install, and then a Ost-front install.

Library Staff
    Sorry Browncoat, Aussie and I discovered the same problem but I forgot to upload the corrected BGL. Try this one - I hope it's the right one.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Members who have read this thread: 3