Seamaster (virtavia) anyone?

Thread: Seamaster (virtavia) anyone?

Thanks for the heads up, getting it now. I love that they modeled what would have been the production version as opposed to the prototype. One of my all time favorites.

I could not resist. A classic 50's museum piece. Shown here at Key West.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    I could not resist. A classic 50's museum piece. Shown here at Key West.
    That's the real thing, right ??..... (just asking, you can't be sure these days, can you...)

That's in the sim! Note the F/A-18s in the background.

Off to go buy this after work!

Can someone post screens of the office of this thing please?

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Can someone post screens of the office of this thing please?

Priller
    From their website. I have not bought it yet, but am not that impressed from this screenshot from their webpage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seamaster_VC02.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	92763

Some shots. Higher-resolution versions here.

It's the quality you'd expect from Virtavia -- looks like one of the better FSX/P3D planes. Not the super level-of-detail you'll get from the best MSFS planes, but c'mon, who else is going to do planes like the Seamaster, Stirling, F4D Skyray, etc?

I feel like it's worth $20, but I love this era of aviation.

dd
    Real cockpit for comparison:

What Denny said. These aren't supposed to be study level aircraft and nobody else is going to model them. I'm quite happy someone is willing to model aircraft like this.

I picked it up, I really like it! Actually been hoping got a Seamaster model for some time. It looks and flies good to me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Some shots. Higher-resolution versions here.

It's the quality you'd expect from Virtavia -- looks like one of the better FSX/P3D planes. Not the super level-of-detail you'll get from the best MSFS planes, but c'mon, who else is going to do planes like the Seamaster, Stirling, F4D Skyray, etc?

I feel like it's worth $20, but I love this era of aviation.

dd
    Real cockpit for comparison:

What Virtavia did was a pretty good representation of the actual cockpit as pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    That's in the sim! Note the F/A-18s in the background.
    OK ! Thanks !

Remarkable, these puddles of water look so real and that hangar too, i guess this must be the famous Miramar scenery ? The total lack of any kind of weathering and further detailing of the Seamaster model made me think it's the sim, then again not used to see something like that 'drivable dock' addition on a Virtavia model. Still, overall, at first and even second glance, that picture sure had me fooled.

Off to go buy this after work!
    I might have a look at it as well, just because it's such an iconic plane. (didn't Phil/Alphasim do a Mariner too for FS9 or something ?.. He should be looking into texture baking and PBR, that'll give that cockpit a bit of realism boost too)

Are you gonna depth charge that poor Godzilla ?...

Thanks Denny,

Picked it up as soon as I heard about it. Only issues I have are that Asobo's water handling simulation sucks, and it really drains a lot of the fun out of what is otherwise an excellent sim.

Hope we get that fixed in a future SU.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    What Virtavia did was a pretty good representation of the actual cockpit as pictured.
    Yep! That's the thing... Virtavia's stuff might not pack the visual "wow" of the best MSFS planes, but they're pretty accurate as far as visuals and systems go, and the flight models are generally what you'd expect from what's being modeled. Plus the prices are now half what they were in the P3D days.

I love that Phil's doing these historic planes.

AvAngel's review - beat me to it!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

x

[im

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    AvAngel's review - beat me to it!
    Sorry, mate

Thanks for the info. Just got the new sim (and new computer) . Haven't tried seaplanes yet, anyone want to describe their experiences in water handling as yet? Skis are much better, I landed the carbon Cub on top of Mt Rainier in a spot that someone actually did many years ago and it was much better, not modeled as a sheet of ice!

Cheers: Tom

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just got the new sim (and new computer) . Haven't tried seaplanes yet, anyone want to describe their experiences in water handling as yet? Skis are much better, I landed the carbon Cub on top of Mt Rainier in a spot that someone actually did many years ago and it was much better, not modeled as a sheet of ice!

Cheers: Tom
    Asobo's water physics is not very good. Seaplanes tend to bounce along the surface and do not cut through waves with any realism. Sad, because Asobo introduced several seaplane legends. Maybe FS 2024 will be better.

Members who have read this thread: 0