CFS3 Terrain Creation - is anyone still around? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CFS3 Terrain Creation - is anyone still around?

I have a small victory in that I can use Microdem to create the .bil that ers2tiff will recognize. I have only tried with srtm30 data. I dont have photoshop so I cannot create
    a landclass tiff that the tools will recognize. Not sure if there is another way.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    I have a small victory in that I can use Microdem to create the .bil that ers2tiff will recognize. I have only tried with srtm30 data. I dont have photoshop so I cannot create
    a landclass tiff that the tools will recognize. Not sure if there is another way.
    Doesn't Gimp achieve the same effects?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

I dont have photoshop so I cannot create
    I may have used Corel PaintShop Photo Pro for Tiff creations.
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Having not gotten far enough to have a tiff to work with, I was assuming other programs could do the job too?

Paint.NET works with and saves as .tiff files. It's also free. I'm a Photoshop user myself (very old version), but sometimes Paint.NET gets me out of a hole.

https://www.getpaint.net/
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

thanks for the tiff export suggestions guys. Ive tried with a few programs but tiff2lcf.exe wont load them. Back in the day Martin Wright found it would only work with tiff created by photoshop. Not sure if it has changed since then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tiff2lcf.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Doesn't it need to be a 32bit tiff? I seem to remember that from somewhere.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Yes, 32 bit is 8 bit for each channel of RGB and Alpha.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

heres the test map if anybody can covert to 32bit tiff that fits needed description. Needs to be 768x768 and colors must stay pure green and pure blue with no transition
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails azoremap.jpg  

Looks like conversion to jpg caused some artifacts and it isn't pure green and blue. What was the original file?

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Where did you get Mircodem

Link to download Mircodem?

Try this one.

Test_Map.zip
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Thanks

Spoke to the developer and he sent me the link, thanks!!!

Thank you Andy, that worked! Only small problem was a few extra colors (blue-green and black) got added to the texture. Most likely its because I shared original as a jpeg. I am able to work around the few extra colors by adding a few more terrain types for now. Thank you again.

Spoke to the developer and he sent me the link, thanks!!!
    You can use Microdem but if you already have a copy of Global Mapper I would probably stick with that. GM seems easier to use and more robust. Microdem seems to crash easier and can be fussy about the data it uses. My issues with Microdem may be due to my inexperience and I am certainly thankful to the developers for this program.

We also have a tutorial on using GM to create mesh which makes things easier.

no water yet but there is some mesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails azoremesh.jpg  

just testing the water tools by making a big pool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails poolwater.jpg  

Blog Entries
    I'm very impressed with the progress!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Well done, you are well on your way to creating a new theater of operations.
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

islands in the test theater. One small error in the theater desciptor caused me days of confusion. Still plenty of problem areas.

One cool thing I notice is that the only DEM tool you need these days is QGIS which is free and has a good amount of support tutorials. Microdem and Global Mapper are nice tools but not neccesary.

Still not sure if there is a freeware program that can create the 32bit landclass TIFF that tiff2lcf will recognize ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails azore3.jpg  

I really have no idea how to do this but I am impressed anyway!!

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

thanks Joost, I feel like anyone can do with the updated tools and info. I have no clue how pioneers like Martin, Ed and Bob managed it years ago .

Hope to test with srtm3 data next week

first run with srtm3 mesh and it's certainly an improvement. I will play with the numbers and see if get even more detail but I am happy thus far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails azore4.jpg  

Wow Steve, you've really made some progress! And without global mapper too! I've had less time than I thought but I'm hoping to pick it up again.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding progress ! Thanks for all the work !

Members who have read this thread: 82