CFS3 Terrain Creation - is anyone still around?
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CFS3 Terrain Creation - is anyone still around?

CFS3 Terrain Creation - is anyone still around?

This is a shot in the dark kind of, but has anyone here ever secretly dabbled in terrain creation, or are any of the legends from the past who have done it still lurking around here on occasion?

I've had Global Mapper for a while and thought I'd finally use some down time around the holidays to see if I could understand something of it. I've downloaded the tutorials on it I could find, but I have yet to successfully use the ers2tiff.exe tool. I always get the error message: Failed to load any input file. It might be something with the way I'm exporting data, or or something with the command line parameters I'm using. This is with the SRTM 30 arc second data for now, though I'd really like to use SRTM 3 arc second data. I've seen that it has been done, but no idea how. But for now I can't even get off the ground with the basics. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon4 Make you a deal

If we can make two maritime focused terrains. One off the coast of France and southern England and the other Norway to do some anti shipping convoy stuff. The first should not be too tough and a good place to start. There were some old websites that had info. This would motivate me to make some ju88 a4s, a17 etc...

Do you have any info on how to make it work? I can't make any deals until I can at least get he tools to work! I have two areas at the top of my list. I think you will like the second one. The first also has room for anti-shipping Ju 88s in significant roles, though in my planned project, they would probably be AI only, at least at first.

Iam so sorry that I can't help. Iam afraid that all my data and bat tools seem to be long gone from the hard drives. My knowledge base and memory on developing new theaters is lost, especially the details on the use of the bat files.
    My age and a mild case of COVID last year has decreased my retention of old memories and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    This is a shot in the dark kind of, but has anyone here ever secretly dabbled in terrain creation, or are any of the legends from the past who have done it still lurking around here on occasion?

I've had Global Mapper for a while and thought I'd finally use some down time around the holidays to see if I could understand something of it. I've downloaded the tutorials on it I could find, but I have yet to successfully use the ers2tiff.exe tool. I always get the error message: Failed to load any input file. It might be something with the way I'm exporting data, or or something with the command line parameters I'm using. This is with the SRTM 30 arc second data for now, though I'd really like to use SRTM 3 arc second data. I've seen that it has been done, but no idea how. But for now I can't even get off the ground with the basics. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Blog Entries
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Tools and such

I have a win xp machine that has all the tools loaded plus a few tutorials. I never went further than gathering the necessary files to start. But that being said, with the planes waiting skins I do have some time the next few weeks once I return from a short trip. I will let you know what progress I make in the next week or so.

@Bob, that's too bad, but I understand. Does exporting a .bil file but finding that everything at sea level elevation or below has been turned white instead of blue ring a bell? I'm assuming this may be my problem and why the tools aren't working, but I don't know.

@Clive, yep, I've got them and followed them religiously without any luck generating a mesh.

@Ted, thanks! Two heads are better than one in this stuff!

@Bob, that's too bad, but I understand. Does exporting a .bil file but finding that everything at sea level elevation or below has been turned white instead of blue ring a bell? I'm assuming this may be my problem and why the tools aren't working, but I don't know.
    i am sure you know you can't have negative elevations per tutorial

Yes, I have been saving without negative elevations per tutorial. What I meant was all sea level and formerly below sea level areas.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Sorry doesn't ring a bell. I can't even recall the process of exporting a .bil file. I did find this string of texts that I had with Global Mapper, which may be useful for you in the future. I also found a file folder with how to generate ai pathing for roads, railroads, and waterways. It also includes a revised MS sdk on Vector Data Processing dated 9/4/2011. Let me know if you want this file folder.
    Attachment 92781
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Do you have this

Found this while i was setting up the theater generation tools.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

not going through whole process but ers2tiff seems to work using the tutorial area (Azores) and Gtopo30 dem info. Obviously thats not the desired level of detail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ers2tiff.jpg  

@Bob, thanks! I am interested in literally every bit of useful material for any stage of the process.

@Ted, no, I don't have that one. I'll take a look soon.

@Steve, where is your dem data from? There seem to be a lot of versions of even the same resolution data out there, I wonder if what I have used is not compatible for some reason. If I can successfully replicate what you have done, that would be a big step forward from where I am.

Question

What is the maximum theater size? I measured the default map in mission builder and found a figure of about 1260 nm square. From USGS you can get very detailed data. I have an account and the url is EarthExplorer (usgs.gov)
    They have several levels of detail down to like 3 arc. Seems very easy to get the files you need.

@Steve, where is your dem data from? There seem to be a lot of versions of even the same resolution data out there, I wonder if what I have used is not compatible for some reason. If I can successfully replicate what you have done, that would be a big step forward from where I am.
    http://www.webgis.com/terr_world.html

for some reason I cant d/l the srtm30 or srtm3 data . Getting a 404 error.

maximum sixe

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    What is the maximum theater size? I measured the default map in mission builder and found a figure of about 1260 nm square. From USGS you can get very detailed data. I have an account and the url is EarthExplorer (usgs.gov)
    They have several levels of detail down to like 3 arc. Seems very easy to get the files you need.
    1835 km square

same here

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    http://www.webgis.com/terr_world.html

for some reason I cant d/l the srtm30 or srtm3 data . Getting a 404 error.
    same here - but if you go to what I found it works.....

thanks Ted that may be useful.

Ever check out the GM link to 1 arc second data? May be a little rich for cfs3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails azores1arc.jpg  

Yeah, I downloaded some 1 arc sec data too. I agree it is probably too much to actually look good in CFS3. I think 3 arc sec is the sweet spot if it can be made to work.

yeah 3 arc seconds data looks great

unfortunately I have reached the max # of .bil exports I'm allowed on the trial version of GM . Wasn't aware of that hard cap.

Bummer!

Were you able to successfully convert anything other than Gtopo30?

Global Mapper

I have an older copy of GM from 2008, I think. Will see if I can get it to work again. I use Google Earth to map out two areas. I now need to be sure the areas are square for CFS3, 1835 km per side. Once that is done and I can fire up GM...well see. If you have suggestions as to placement or area to be covered let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails terrain.jpg  

Vector Data Files

Daniel and others interested. The following is a zip with files on creating vector pathing that I did for the Hawaii portion of Rising Sun.how-to-make_hawaii_vector-data_files.zip

Were you able to successfully convert anything other than Gtopo30?
    no, I was starting to look at that when I hit the GM max export limit which happen to be only 4 times

Members who have read this thread: 82