Iris Phantom for FS9

Thread: Iris Phantom for FS9

Iris Phantom for FS9

A post over on the FSX forum about Iris freeware has got me wondering if anyone knows if the FS9 version of their Phantom was ever released as freeware. I actually had them ( Phantom FG.1 and FGR.2 models ) saved on disk, along with the Cloud9 Phantom and repaint packs, but it went missing a long time ago, my memory's a bit hazy but i think i snapped the disk. Have they been lost forever?

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    A post over on the FSX forum about Iris freeware has got me wondering if anyone knows if the FS9 version of their Phantom was ever released as freeware. I actually had them ( Phantom FG.1 and FGR.2 models ) saved on disk, along with the Cloud9 Phantom and repaint packs, but it went missing a long time ago, my memory's a bit hazy but i think i snapped the disk. Have they been lost forever?
    Think they were, very briefly free along with the Harrier, Corsair, and the first iteration of their T6 II PC-9 package
    during the time all the developers were dropping fs9 like a hot potato.
    Try looking at Simviation.com, if you don't do Dropbox
    looks like they are all there on Dropbox via the iris website

Ttfn

Pete

The updated FSX pack is up there, well i say pack, its just one clean FGR2 model, it was going to be a pack but i think they gave up. No 9 model sadly

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    The updated FSX pack is up there, well i say pack, its just one clean FGR2 model, it was going to be a pack but i think they gave up. No 9 model sadly
    Where you looking, Iris site or Simviation.com, this shows up on IRIS site

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20231215_191808_Dropbox.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	92634

Thats the FSX version on the Iris site, this is the read-me-

IRIS Classics Series - Phantom Superpack
    ----------------------------------------

Version 0.60

The IRIS Classics Series - Phantom Superpack is a freeware rework of the old IRIS Phantom FG.1 and FGR.2 models. This will bring them up to FSX standards rather than being portovers from FS9. This means an addition of Specular Maps, Bump Maps and other items.

We're also adding new sounds, higher resolution external artwork and more.

As such, this is a work in progress product and only shows a fraction of the final product, but as it is freeware, it'll be done around existing commercial commitments.

To install it, simply drop it into your Simobjects/Airplanes folder located in your chosen simulation, Microsoft Flight Simulator X, Prepar3D or Prepar3D V2.

We welcome your feedback and thoughts as we continue to develop this product for your enjoyment.

Ian, the Alpha/Virtavia Phantom pack has several UK Phantoms in Pack 3 (RAF and RAN).

They are freebies, as well. http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/

Plus, someone covered some add-on MDL files for the UK Phantoms in this forum.

There were also some "wide screen" 2D panel updates for FSX which you can convert to FS9 without much of a hassle.

Thanks Sbob, but ive known about the Virt F4 for many many years, and in many ways i think is the superior model, i just wanted to do a compare and contrast. Ironically, ive just been reading a post of yours from a while back about solving an irritating and long standing blurring issue with the Virt F4, so thanks for that too

Here you go ian, ill leave the link up for a couple of days
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/fdowe...antom.zip/file
    Alex

Brisbane, Australia

So, I started playing around with the IRIS F-4, just to check it out.
    The FD is fun, its like an unloaded Alphasim F-4 and the FX files are better (mostly).

Here's a quick edit for the Alpha F-4 if you also installed the IRIS FX files.

I wanted to use the "burner bucket" engine afterburner FX but keep the original Alphasim afterburner flame (IMO, the IRIS flames are just too long).

This edit is for the Navy (Pack 1) folder. You may need to do some tweaking for the other two packs but they'll be close to this.
    You'll need to have the IRIS fx_phantom_aniburner file installed in your main EFFECTS folder, then make the following changes to the Pack 1 aircraft.cfg file:

[lights]

//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing

light.0 = 3, -6.8, -19.37, -0.58, fx_navred ,
    light.1 = 3, -6.8, 19.37, -0.58, fx_navgre ,
    light.2 = 3, -11.02, -19.30, -0.72, fx_navredc ,
    light.3 = 3, -11.02, 19.30, -0.72, fx_navgrec ,
    light.4 = 3, -26.77, 0, 10.05, fx_navwhi ,
    light.5 = 4, 19.684, -0.723, 2.606, fx_vclight,
    light.6 = 4, 14.72, 0, 2.606, fx_vclight,
    light.7 = 1, 9.55, 0, 4.88, fx_beacon,
    light.8 = 1, -15.94, 0, 7.31, fx_beaconb,
    light.9 = 2,-11.04, -19.30, -0.58, fx_recog
    light.10 = 2, -11.04, 19.30, -0.58, fx_recog
    light.11 = 7, -11.5,-19.2, -0.68, fx_contrail_Virtavia Phantom ,
    light.12 = 7, -11.5, 19.2, -0.68, fx_contrail_Virtavia Phantom ,
    light.13 = 9, -12.35, -2.20, -0.64, fx_phantom_aniburner ,
    light.14 = 9, -12.50, -2.20, -0.74, fx_reheat_Virtavia Phantom ,
    light.15 = 9, -12.35, 2.20, -0.64, fx_phantom_aniburner ,
    light.16 = 9, -12.50, 2.20, -0.74, fx_reheat_Virtavia Phantom ,

Like I said, this looks great for the Pack 1 models. Its a close fit for the Pack 2 models, but it will look like the afterburners have lit up the entire engine bay (you'll only notice this at night).
    I haven't finished tweaking the Pack 2 cfg file yet, but those two -12.35's will wind up closer to -12.20 to -12.30.

For Pack 3, you're on your own. Keep in mind the RN Phantoms in Pack 3 simulate the "nose high" stance of the launch bridle when your parking breaks are set so your afterburner effects may look a little goofy.

I can put a photo up tomorrow from my RAF days, the IRIS reheat flame is not too long , remember we had a much different engine in the RR Spey to the J79

Ttfn

Pete

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reheat_1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	93618

Here you go... this is (IIRC) XV408 or XV412,ready for the paint shop, running on the detuner tubes @ 1987-88;

ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 39