DCS - Phantom..?

Thread: DCS - Phantom..?

DCS - Phantom..?

I know the DCS Phantom has yet to be released for DCS itself, but have their been any rumors about it being brought over to MSFS in the future..?

The DCS trailer is amazing...

Now that would be brilliant!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    I know the DCS Phantom has yet to be released for DCS itself, but have their been any rumors about it being brought over to MSFS in the future..?

The DCS trailer is amazing...

Yes there is a rumor it's coming to MSFS, but probably not until well after the DCS launch. If it is anything like the Cat, it wil be spectacular.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Speaking of Phantoms, I watched this again last night. I never saw the Blues flying Phantoms, way back then, but thank God for videos!

https://youtu.be/GCWBDwkhGN0?feature=shared

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Speaking of Phantoms, I watched this again last night. I never saw the Blues flying Phantoms, way back then, but thank God for videos!

I worked in the bomb dump at George AFB, Victorville, Ca. during the F-4E/F-4J period for both the Thunderbirds and the Blues. We were lucky enough to host one of the very few dual shows, when both teams performed at the same airshow. One of the best shows I have ever seen! They even performed a combined delta flyby, all going to full AB at midfield for climbout! Talk about "ROLLING THUNDER!!!"
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I worked in the bomb dump at George AFB, Victorville, Ca. during the F-4E/F-4J period for both the Thunderbirds and the Blues. We were lucky enough to host one of the very few dual shows, when both teams performed at the same airshow. One of the best shows I have ever seen! They even performed a combined delta flyby, all going to full AB at midfield for climbout! Talk about "ROLLING THUNDER!!!"
    That had to be a sight to see. I too saw both teams in the Phantoms. Unlike you, however, I saw each at different times.

What I loved about the Phantom flying teams was the noise. The thundering sound was a major part of the show. I can remember when the Thunderbirds went to the T-38. It just wasn't the same. The " I am the meanest SOB in the valley" engine sounds were missing. Thus the show, while visually appealing, lacked the military punch.

Thank goodness they later moved to the F-16.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

When I started out in Royal Military School, I went to a meeting in Kleine Brogel AB and one of the displays was the F-4F Phantom from JG-71.

I found that display more impressive than that of the F-16. I mean, the smoke, the fire, the howl and roar of those engines! And a lightly loaded Phantom does have impressive performance too. Especially the slatted version.

The good old days!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    That had to be a sight to see. I too saw both teams in the Phantoms. Unlike you, however, I saw each at different times.

What I loved about the Phantom flying teams was the noise. The thundering sound was a major part of the show. I can remember when the Thunderbirds went to the T-38. It just wasn't the same. The " I am the meanest SOB in the valley" engine sounds were missing. Thus the show, while visually appealing, lacked the military punch.

Thank goodness they later moved to the F-16.
    Agreed. The changover occurred just before I got out. The last show I attended at George they were flying the T-38. Just not the same, especially as they went up shortly after the solo F-4E demo. No comparison.

The next time I was able to go to an airshow was in the early 80's, featuring the F-14/15/16s. I had kept following about the new aircraft, but did not get to see them live. The 1st time seing those 3 was awesome. Then, when the Tomcat received the GE-101 engine, replacing the TF-30. WOW!

The F-4 Phantom will always be my favorite, since it was the aircraft I was around during my 4 years in.

The F-4C I'm holding in my avatar pic is a high performance 90mm electrc ducted fan model done in the scheme of Lt.Col. (Ret) Joe Latham, who lives here in Marshalltown, Iowa. He shot down the first MiG-21 in the Vietnam conflict, on Nov.11th, 1966. His wingman shot down the 2nd during the same engagement.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    When I started out in Royal Military School, I went to a meeting in Kleine Brogel AB and one of the displays was the F-4F Phantom from JG-71.

I found that display more impressive than that of the F-16. I mean, the smoke, the fire, the howl and roar of those engines! And a lightly loaded Phantom does have impressive performance too. Especially the slatted version.

The good old days!

Priller
    I was never lucky enough to see a demo of a slatted Phantom. I'm sure the difference was noticeable.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

I remember them well at NAS Moffett Field in the mid 70s before they went to Scooters. Most impressive.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I was never lucky enough to see a demo of a slatted Phantom. I'm sure the difference was noticeable.
    I can't judge that, because I've only seen slatted phantoms fly. But that guy did his "low level display" because of the overcast (this is Europe after all) and it was damned impressive!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

I do go back to the days when the Blues were flying the F-4's and watched one of their shows at then NAS Miramar. As soon as one of them got airborne, it immediately went into an inverted climb and
    soon it got very quiet as both engines stalled. I remember hearing the gasps of ooohhhs from the crowds when that happened. A few nano seconds later the pilot managed to relight both engines and
    it was able to recover from the inverted climb. I told this story to a few Navy F-4 engine Mechs and they said that the engine fuel pumps were not designed to work in the inverted position. Eventually,
    the blues realized this and cut the flying inverted out of their routine. When I heard those engines quit, I thought for sure there was gonna be a aircraft smash incident.

Last edited by gray eagle; December 13th, 2023 at 11:20.

I know this is DCS but you really have to watch this:

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...38#post1325038

Thanks Dimus, that video is amazing. Can't believe it is simulation. This video sold me on the upcoming MSFS HeatBlur F-4E. I need to get back into DCS.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I do go back to the days when the Blues were flying the F-4's and watched one of their shows at then NAS Miramar. As soon as one of them got airborne, it immediately went into an inverted climb and
    soon it got very quiet as both engines stalled. I remember hearing the gasps of ooohhhs from the crowds when that happened. A few nano seconds later the pilot managed to relight both engines and
    it was able to recover from the inverted climb. I told this story to a few Navy F-4 engine Mechs and they said that the engine fuel pumps were not designed to work in the inverted position. Eventually,
    the blues realized this and cut the flying inverted out of their routine. When I heard those engines quit, I thought for sure there was gonna be a aircraft smash incident.
    If I am not confusing my jets, the F-4 had about 8 seconds of non-positive inverted flight before flame-out.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I know this is DCS but you really have to watch this:

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...38#post1325038
    Yeah, right !!

One wonders what we're still doing here messing about with MSFS.... Sjéééssshh!! What the hell kind of external camera is THAT !!?? Ultimately finally pilot figures that make realistic natural movements ! (still very much not OK in our F-14....) And no glimpse of the cockpit just yet. That must be freakin awesome too ! Have to say i'm not sure what's going on with the lighting. The big benefit we have over the real world is that we have control over the sun and weather. The lighting on the F-4 as she passes by should and possibly could be much better.

Anyway, the whole thing falls apart when the background comes into view...... And we here DO love the background, don't we. So that's why we're still messing about here in MSFS.

I do have DCS alright, the aircraft are truly amazing indeed but i haven't touched it for over a year... And i'm most probabely not going to buy DCS F-4 neither..

Dimus, thanks very much, that video is totally awesome !!

It seems we do have numerous Phantom fans here. I wonder if we can allow this thread to become a general Phantom enthusiast one, not specific to one sim platform? What do you think moderators? What would be the policy for such an idea? And yes, I was always a Phantom fan since about age 14 - Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Have to say i'm not sure what's going on with the lighting. The big benefit we have over the real world is that we have control over the sun and weather. The lighting on the F-4 as she passes by should and possibly could be much better.
    I agree, they could have the sun lower and behind camera so that the F-4 would be lit better during the flybys. Still…

Also agree about the ground in DCS. I believe this is the Nevada map. More recent maps like Syria, the Channel and South Atlantic are quite good. Carrier ops however are next to none.

Enough on DCS though, back to the Phab Phantom.

Quote Originally Posted by vipgroup View Post
    It seems we do have numerous Phantom fans here. I wonder if we can allow this thread to become a general Phantom enthusiast one, not specific to one sim platform? What do you think moderators? What would be the policy for such an idea? And yes, I was always a Phantom fan since about age 14 - Kenneth
    Hey Ken,

Well, if this gets through maybe this is a good start. Professional real world Air to Air camera footage of 2 Hellenic AF F-4E's of possibly never seen before quality. Meticulously filmed from very close by out of the open cargo bay of a Shorts Skyvan. Watch the Hstabs continues work (auto trim ?..). It belongs to a 20 minutes repo of Highlights of the 2023 Athens Flying Week featuring a.o. F-4, T-2, Mirage 2000, Rafale, Tornado, F-35, PC-7 and MB339 of the UAE AF Fursan AI Emarat Demo Team. Aircraft photography par excellence !

https://youtu.be/YoJ24_owROE?si=KzBhtbyFsHSpQU82

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Also agree about the ground in DCS. I believe this is the Nevada map. More recent maps like Syria, the Channel and South Atlantic are quite good. Carrier ops however are next to none.
    I specifically went to the trouble to learn DCS (more or less..) for its Carrier ops. I guess when it comes to flying F-14's off of the deck of an aircraft carrier 'at home' there is nothing better ! An absolute thrill to learn ! Still, like always after getting the grips on a, for me, new flightsimulator, i don't know how fast i long to return to what will probabely be my all time ever favourite flightsim that is MSFS (and all of its ancient predecessors, naturally.. )

No doubt DCS outclasses MSFS by a couple of seamiles when it comes to simulating aircraft in all of its envelopes but the same is true for scenery but then in reversed order. Very nice to see the IFE/Heatblur F-14 bringing atleast some of that DCS class to MSFS. Who knows how far that'll go with the Heatblur F-4 !

Quote Originally Posted by vipgroup View Post
    I wonder if we can allow this thread to become a general Phantom enthusiast one, not specific to one sim platform?
    For real world and multi-platform sim all in one thread, I think the Historical Wings Society section would be better suited. It's best to keep threads here (mostly) focused on MSFS.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Hey Ken,

Well, if this gets through maybe this is a good start. Professional real world Air to Air camera footage of 2 Hellenic AF F-4E's of possibly never seen before quality. Meticulously filmed from very close by out of the open cargo bay of a Shorts Skyvan. Watch the Hstabs continues work (auto trim ?..). It belongs to a 20 minutes repo of Highlights of the 2023 Athens Flying Week featuring a.o. F-4, T-2, Mirage 2000, Rafale, Tornado, F-35, PC-7 and MB339 of the UAE AF Fursan AI Emarat Demo Team. Aircraft photography par excellence !

https://youtu.be/YoJ24_owROE?si=KzBhtbyFsHSpQU82
    Jan

I'll honour the moderator's suggestion and make this my last non-MSFS comment in this thread. But, those shots of the Phantom were superb. I got to see the same view in real life on a USAF KC-135 flight in 1983. My shots of the Luftwaffe Phantoms our aircraft refueled were not very good however. The exposures were all over the place! But I did get some that were good. - Kenneth

Members who have read this thread: 2