City Textures rework - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: City Textures rework

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Excellent Work ! Fantastic to see the progress ! Thank you Sir ! Regards, Scott

The last time I saw Chichester Cathedral was 30 years ago, and it was being repaired.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by rince33 View Post
    Yes, I used it to get those two models into position, but it took me about 2 hrs yesterday morning.

With your advise about using the 'z' key it will now be a lot quicker. Thank you.
    Probably still have to pay attention to altitude. Personally I use Google Earth for that, as well as for some position placement for things like the Cathedral.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Blog Entries
    Work on Chichester cathedral model. I created this model in blender a while ago for an il2 channel map . It's a low poly version of the Bob2wov model, which I used as a guide. I'm busy skinning it in gmax. There are a few more pieces to add add and then it will be ready for placement.

That's very nice Glen! 👍It wouldn't take much to create other Cathedrals too, they're all pretty similar.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Thanks Clive!

The Cathedrals and churches break the monotony of similar buildings in the cities, so I will, create a lot more on both sides of the channel.

My next models will be a low poly version of Cantebury cathedral which is a bit more complex, and st George the martyr church for Ramsgate. I love historic old buildings, so the opportunity to recreate these for the sim is a real pleasure.

I also did some 'lcf' work in the Sussex area today, trimming some cities and adding forests according to google earth, though detailed work is limited by the resolution of the lcf viewer map .
    Last edited by rince33; December 21st, 2023 at 10:28.

My first airfield mos file, went surprisingly smoothly into the sim. I was expecting a bit of a struggle with this, a bit disappointed in a way.

I still want to add some other buildings and trees.

P.S. I'm glad that I viewed this in the morning mode while compiling this post, otherwise I would have missed the altitude trough created by the model. I adjusted the altitude in the csv file as can be seen in the last pic.

Last edited by rince33; December 23rd, 2023 at 17:24.

Blog Entries
    Superb progess Glen! That will be a handy little airfield, I always seem to end up trying a forced landing somewhere in Southern Kent!

BTW, have you got this?

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...facilities-zip

I downloaded that tut recently. It came in handy this last week. I think that I have downloaded every page that is of any use when using the facilities and global layer.
    It would have been better if it was all in one place like the very handy Projected knowledge base thread. Trawling the threads for bits and pieces is interesting, but time consuming. There are some important bits of info that I picked up in the posts and Pm's last week that made life a lot easier.

That Ramsgate civilian terminal building was so unique in that it was designed to resemble a wing. It was demolished in 1968 I think, but it should have been declared a heritage site purely for the architecture. The texture and model needs to be updated as I have recently discovered more close up images.

Blog Entries
    I downloaded that tut recently. It came in handy this last week. I think that I have downloaded every page that is of any use when using the facilities and global layer.
    It would have been better if it was all in one place like the very handy Projected knowledge base thread. Trawling the threads for bits and pieces is interesting, but time consuming. There are some important bits of info that I picked up in the posts and Pm's last week that made life a lot easier.

That Ramsgate civilian terminal building was so unique in that it was designed to resemble a wing. It was demolished in 1968 I think, but it should have been declared a heritage site purely for the architecture. The texture and model needs to be updated as I have recently discovered more close up images.
    It certainly was a striking building and should have been saved, alas our town councils and planners make a lot of money by covering everything in housing and developments.

If you don't have it already here's another tutorial I made:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/w2wbf...xrllw2hsb&dl=0

Thanks Clive, now this is exactly what I was searching for last week. I'll definitely read through it later.
    Enjoy your Christmas Clive, and all the members who have popped in to help, and provide encouragement, as well as the silent majority who lurk in the background.

Not exactly cheesy Christmas music but something inspiring that I listened to this morning while messing around with gmax.

https://youtu.be/jzUJWDU_1Rg?t=3

This is Chichester cathedral with bell tower, and a terrace block mos/facility item that I created using Clive's terrace housing model.

The terrace building facility model when in position removes the trees and buildings in its way, but unfortunately also removes some surrounding buildings which I replaced with terrace housing, attaching them to the cathedral facility.

I had to do this because the cathedral is placed on a fault line between two city iso textures ,causing a mish mash of buildings that I displaced by adding the terrace building facility file. I'm sure the terrace block will come in handy elsewhere as well, like central London for instance.

I still need to add trees to the cathedral model.

The ongoing work is quite impressive. I love seeing new landmarks being added!

I love the new terrace buildings.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Outstanding work. A vast improvement ! Regards, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    I love the new terrace buildings.
    Yes the terraced buildings are sorely needed. It would be interesting to see what the buildings in Hamburg, Berlin, Cologne, etc., were like' msybe i should dig up some pics on those.

Do the stand alone house roofs default to red? IMHO, everything needs to be a bit darker tough.

Red roofs are a personal preference, and they make buildings easier to spot while I work on this mod, though I will release both red and dark slate scenery sheets as options. The terraced buildings will be darkened, especially the roofs.

Blog Entries
    That's great Glen and the terrace models match the sm ones pretty well. Yes I should have made the roofs a bit darker grey, but some red-tiled versions would be quite correct too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs3-2023-12-25-21-33-13.jpg  

Hi Clive.

I darkened the roofs and terrace buildings. I deactivated my reshade for this screenshot. It added contrast and made things look a bit darker.

I've created a village mos as well, and I'm going to use your medium house model to populate it. I spent this morning re-texturing it, but still have to check it in the sim.

Yeah that looks much better!

Blends in a bit better.

I noticed that my replacement house texture had aluminium windows, so I decided to change it before somebody picked it up.

Blog Entries
    That House_m texture wasn't an ACC one, I think that a chap called Lewis did it. Either way the Anglicised version looks good, could you make a rendered version as well?

Is that a French house model?

I just noticed that the front windows and door on the 3d model are recessed, so I'll have to place new textured windows and front door exactly where they appear on the old texture, rats. I thought it was just a box with a roof on it.

Back to my Canterbury cathedral build.

Wondering if the cathedrals need damage textures. Do you think the folk here would have the bad taste to try and bomb one of them?

Blog Entries
    I would hope not !

I'm of the opinion that everything should have a damage model. Sadly, there was no shortage of Cathedrals and other non-military buildings across Europe being damaged and destroyed by bombs. It's a bit of an emersion killer when things get hit by bombs and come through unscathed. I wish there was a way to add damage models to the autogen scenery too. I have found that a big enough bomb can make them disappear though.

Is that a French house model?

I just noticed that the front windows and door on the 3d model are recessed, so I'll have to place new textured windows and front door exactly where they appear on the old texture, rats. I thought it was just a box with a roof on it.

Back to my Canterbury cathedral build.

Wondering if the cathedrals need damage textures. Do you think the folk here would have the bad taste to try and bomb one of them?
    Not all cathedrals were suffered any serious damage, so probably don't need a damage mode. Even St. Pauls IIRC. Coventry and Cologne if you do them, for sure.

Members who have read this thread: 43