Standalone Dover Harbour

Thread: Standalone Dover Harbour

Standalone Dover Harbour

Firstly, apologies to Pat Pattle for abusing his hard work.
    His Dover model with it's harbour and castle is a great piece of work, unfortunately spoiled by large shimmering black areas caused by z-fighting, when 2 surfaces are identical distances from the viewer.

My goal here was to extract the harbour from the town and castle mount and produce a stand alone model to be used without the graphical issues.

I initially intended to separate the sections in blender and export the result to gmax for conversion. Instead I decided that an easier and quicker way was to create blank textures for the areas that I didn't want rendered and erase some of the areas in other textures, so the whole mesh still exists but you cant see it.

There is still some shimmering and minor graphical issues where the harbour texture overlaps the shoreline, but it should not be too distracting. I need to test it in missions to check for further issues.

If Pat approves I will provide a mediafire link.

There is also shimmering on the eastern cliffs texture which possibly might be reduced by decreasing the height of the cliff mesh.

Blog Entries
    Nice work! Some of the issues will be card related but yes, it was an absolute pain to try and get it looking ok. I have all of the source files if you'd like them.
    Feel free to do what you like with any of my stuff. 👍

By the way, if you're feeling particularly masochistic, I also have a model of the Seven Sisters Cliffs with the Belle Tout and Beachy Head Lighthouses on. It had worse issues than Dover so gave up on it.

Cheers,
    Clive
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Thanks Pat, I would like the source files. I'm reasonably familiar with blender , not so much with gmax, though I did some stuff on 32bit 3dmax many years ago.
    My biggest issue is exporting from blender to gmax with textures and uvw coordinates and mesh scale preserved, which is why I decided to go the blank texture route, that and I am pretty lazy.

This is work done for now if anybody wants to give it a try. ACC-Dover goes to the buildings folder and the XML to the facilities folder. **PLEASE BACK UP THE ORIGINALS**.

Get it here:https://www.mediafire.com/file/445bf...ARBOUR.7z/file

I edited this for my Bob install though if the Eto terrain mesh and coastline is the same it might work there as well after removing the existing harbour in the facilities folder.

A while back I accidentally deleted my Cfs3 folder on my external hard drive which contained my backed up ETO installs and other stuff .

It works in my BoB install, but I didn't realize that it was going to shift the harbor inland so far. I ended up with the Barrage Balloons coming up in the middle of the water.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    It works in my BoB install, but I didn't realize that it was going to shift the harbor inland so far. I ended up with the Barrage Balloons coming up in the middle of the water.
    Hi Andy, there are some balloons attached to ships, it may possibly be those?

Rince33 - pm me your email address please and I'll send some files your way.

The harbour model has always looked bare, at the time I couldn't find much info on if it was still being used, even if just by fishermen and small traders. It certainly wouldn't have been a healthy place to be in 1940!
    The RN sank some boats in the entrance I believe so certainly no craft of size would have been in there.

Any info welcome!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

The Barrage Balloons that were originally attached to the Castle buildings, and the ones now appear to be out in the water. The balloons didn't move, the harbor did.
    Last edited by MajorMagee; November 21st, 2023 at 10:46.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I'll move them over the mobile harbour in the facilities folder . Sorry about that.

PM sent Pat.

This is the position fix for the barrage balloons. I have moved them by the same x and y distance as the harbour model, so they should be in the right place now. Thanks MajorMagee for bringing it to my attention. I cant find the Dover guns position though, its not in the sea. I'll soon find it when I fly a Dover mission and I'll update the xml file again if needs be.

Get your fix here:https://www.mediafire.com/file/ef7qr...arbour.7z/file

Members who have read this thread: 2