MSFS/AH DC-3 Autopilots Not Usable Anymore???

Thread: MSFS/AH DC-3 Autopilots Not Usable Anymore???

MSFS/AH DC-3 Autopilots Not Usable Anymore???

Just tried using the DC-3 for flight today and couldn't get the classic or retro-fit autopilots systems to function. Tested on several flight attempts including restarting MSFS and uninstall & re-install of the DC-3 and DC-3 enhanced packages.

Retrofit:
    VS digits flicker and dance between different numerical values. "AP" light comes on, but Hdg & Nav functions do not light up or engage. Altitude setting impossible because of the VS/Alt numbers spazing out.

Classic:
    Ap engages, but as soon as it does, the Elevator adjust rotates all the way to the stop and won't move back. Aircraft goes into a decent that can only be canceled by shutting off the AP. Aircraft doesn't lock on to any heading and keeps circling.

I just used the DC-3 without issues a little while back. I think the only thing that has changed on my end since then is the Nordic update. Has anyone flown the DC-3 lately with the same issues?

Forest

If you're using the Duckworks mod, check the hydraulics levers in the cockpit doorway. If I remember correctly, they are both set to hydraulics while on the ground, then one of them is set to gyro once airborne.

Move the light blue hydraulics flow handle forward after takeoff. It is located between the seats on the right

That was one of the first things I tried when using the classic AP, but it didn't change this odd behavior. This seems to be more of a logic malfunction that is affecting both AP versions. One obvious thing both have in common is going into a decent as soon as either AP is engaged.

Whatever this is, hasn't always been this way. Something changed since mid-September. That was the last DC-3 flight I made, and everything worked as it always had.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Forest

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I've been flying the DC-3 a lot lately, but only the RETRO (GPS) version. My GPS functions appear to behave normally. I do not use the HDG mode, only the GPS NAV mode. I hand fly her on approach down to the runway.

I do not use any DC-3 that relies on the old Sperry autopilot because I cannot get it to work.

I agree that something has gone wrong in the coding of the DC-3 autopilot functions.

I posted over at the MSFS main forum regarding "bug" reporting back in October, I'm the # 3 poster: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...working/611407

Sorry I cannot be of any help to you.

- Don

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    I've been flying the DC-3 a lot lately, but only the RETRO (GPS) version. My GPS functions appear to behave normally. I do not use the HDG mode, only the GPS NAV mode. I hand fly her on approach down to the runway.

I do not use any DC-3 that relies on the old Sperry autopilot because I cannot get it to work.

I agree that something has gone wrong in the coding of the DC-3 autopilot functions.

I posted over at the MSFS main forum regarding "bug" reporting back in October, I'm the # 3 poster: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...working/611407

Sorry I cannot be of any help to you.

- Don
    I just tested the DC3 with the duckworks DC3 enhancement. The sperry works fine holding attitude (NOT holding altitude!) and heading. Nothing wrong there. I always start from cold and dark and use the hydraulics as decribed in the manual. Maybe the duckworks does correct the default code.

SOH-CM-2023
    Classic AP does not work for me either. Power light comes on and is identified when hovering over it. Duckworks does not even allow to power on the AP or be identified.

Symptoms reported here vary except AP not working.

From memory, at one stage there was the Asobo/AH DC-3, Duckworks tweaks, & also Got-Friends put out an enhancement package for several aircraft including the DC-3.
    I think I had all 3 holding hands ok at some stage, but updates over time may have thrown that off.
    T43

I was using Duckworks with the DC-3 until one of the MSFS updates did some work to it. I didn't want a confused aircraft. :-)

The odd thing is that I've had no issues with either AP version up until this last session, which is the first time I've tried to fly the DC-3 since the last MSFS Update.

I'll stick Duckworks back in for this next flight and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies again, guys.
    Forest

First thing I would try would be to disable all DC-3 enhancements (Got Friends, Duckworks) and liveries (which shouldn't mess with panel functions but sometimes do) and see if the AP works there.

If it does, then it's a matter of updating/re-enabling the enhancements until you find the culprit.

[Edit: Your post about trying Duckworks on/off went up while I was typing that!]

Denny,

When all of this started happening, the only extra DC-3 anything I had installed was one repaint. Thinking the same as you of there being the possibility of repaint conflict, I took that out. But no change in the weird AP behavior.

I just tried again using Duckworks on the retrofit DC-3 and still no luck. It did change the way AP works a little. The digits no longer flash spastically between random numbers when the AP is turned. But when trying to turn on the AP, the "AP" appears for a millisecond then goes out and the VS defaults to -500fpm. Nothing functions and VS reverts back to -500 if you can get that number to change at all.

Forest

Quote Originally Posted by FAC257 View Post
    Denny,

When all of this started happening, the only extra DC-3 anything I had installed was one repaint. Thinking the same as you of there being the possibility of repaint conflict, I took that out. But no change in the weird AP behavior.

I just tried again using Duckworks on the retrofit DC-3 and still no luck. It did change the way AP works a little. The digits no longer flash spastically between random numbers when the AP is turned. But when trying to turn on the AP, the "AP" appears for a millisecond then goes out and the VS defaults to -500fpm. Nothing functions and VS reverts back to -500 if you can get that number to change at all.

Forest
    I put in a Retro fit, [AP equipped], flight last night & VS, NAV & HDG all worked ok, although I did notice when it was on HDG & I changed the HDG on the dash, it was 'loose' as regards grabbing the HDG. ie, it would snake overfly the HDG then swing back. Couple of cycles before it settled down.
    I'll try a non Retro later today.
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by FAC257 View Post
    When all of this started happening, the only extra DC-3 anything I had installed was one repaint.
    The B78XH mod for the default 787 is known to interfere with the avionics of other aircraft.
    It's no longer supported and is now 10 months out of date so anyone who still has it should bin it!

I flew the duckworks DC-3 last night using the classic version with the sperry auto pilot which is of course heading mode only. The only trouble I have is on my part when I adjust the gyro course instead of the heading bug and don't notice it. I have also noticed it is easy to accidentally spin the heading knob in the opposite direction than intended when using the mouse wheel. Again my fault for not paying attention. I agree it may be some conflict with another addon if you are having unusual behavior. It continues to work as advertised for me.

Guys,

I think your answers are telling me what I was wanting to hear, that the aircraft is okay except for a gremlin on my end.

What I'm working with is a new clean install of MSFS. Right after the last MSFS Nordic Update came out, I decided to start fresh and downsize the install. I needed to do that, pending a couple of larger drives. I uninstalled everything in reverse order with MSFS out last. So, this is pretty much a vanilla MSFS with Marketplace purchases. About the only non-MSFS MP items in this current load are the Rex weather programs and FSTL.
    A much cleaner install than the last time I had the DC-3 working without issues, so zeroing in on the conflict should be pretty easy???

Thanks again,
    Forest

After a lot of trouble shooting with the Community folder and various add-ons, I finally figured out it's not just the DC-3 with this issue. Every aircraft that has the same AP components as the DC-3, all suffer from the same affliction.

One suggestion was to load a default aircraft with the same set up and then cycle through all of its AP buttons to see if there was some sort of binding going on that locked up all these aircraft. Tried that using the default Cessna 172 non-glass. No luck. It's broken also.

I'll sit on this for a bit, but I think it may be looking like a full MSFS uninstall-reinstall. It's something i don't mind doing, but boy does that take forever. :-)

Forest

SOH-CM-2023
    After removing everything from the Community folder, the DC3 AP failed to work just as it did with the Community folder
    containg all my addons.

The C172 skyhawk worked successfully with a glideslope landing, so it does not appear the DC3 problem affected the C172.

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    I flew the duckworks DC-3 last night using the classic version with the sperry auto pilot which is of course heading mode only. The only trouble I have is on my part when I adjust the gyro course instead of the heading bug and don't notice it. I have also noticed it is easy to accidentally spin the heading knob in the opposite direction than intended when using the mouse wheel. Again my fault for not paying attention. I agree it may be some conflict with another addon if you are having unusual behavior. It continues to work as advertised for me.
    I flew the Classic yesterday using the basic keyboard AP {Z AP on, Z AP off, Ctrl A for ALT HLD, Ctrl H for HDG HLD.}
    Worked ok.
    With HDG HLD it follows the HDG you were pointed at when you hit Ctrl H. It doesn't respond to changing the heading on the dashboard.
    T43

I finally decided a clean-house uninstall and re-install of MSFS was less of a headache than continuing to chase ghosts. I pretty much eliminated the issue having to do with anything in the Community folder. I also ruled out anything I have from the MSMP, as I hadn't purchase anything between the good and bad DC-3 flights. As I mentioned before the only new MSMP/MSFS installed between the two DC-3 states, was this last Nordic update. That pretty much left all my MSMP airport sceneries, non-MSMP payware aircraft and airport sceneries to be installed. But all of those are pre-bad DC-3 era. I use the term "DC-3" only because that was the first aircraft where I noticed the AP trouble. As it turned out, all aircraft with the same AP setup were also broken.

I started the MSFS clean-house in & out, two afternoons ago, and let it run the install and updates in two overnight DL sessions. After each batch of update categories, I did a quick take-off and check to make sure the DC-3 AP was normal. I have my doubts about anything I have left to install having caused the issue, as all of those were already installed pre-trouble.

Right now, I'm on a 4-hour DC-3 flight in the Nordic Update territory, with everything installed except my payware collection and all my MSMP airport add-ons. Not a single AP issue at all so far.

This may have been a corruption glitch or a key binding with another aircraft, but I can't complain about MSFS at all. This was the first forced re-install I've had to make since buying this version of MSFS. With FSX it was several times a year trying clear an issue where there were no answers that worked. P3D was better, but still nowhere as stable as MSFS has been.

They all need a good cleaning out and fresh re-install once in a while for good measure and peace of mind anyway. :-)

Forest

Well, that didn't last long. About 3/4 thru the flight, I noticed the AP wasn't tracking anymore. It has reverted back to the exact behavior as before in mid-flight. How bizarre.

At least I know now I can load all my other stuff back in. At this point I'm back to it's something to do with flying in the Nordic update area or something I'll never figure out. Not worth screwing around with anymore, at least for now.

Added: Just for the heck of it, I started up another flight in an airport as far away from Finland as I could and guess what? The DC-3s AP is all normal again. It's Finland I tell ya! That's where I was flying when all this started. LOL

Seriously though, I'm going to try a 4-hour flight with the DC-3 tomorrow away from the Nordic area and see what gives.

Forest
    Last edited by FAC257; November 24th, 2023 at 13:49.

I think I've taken figuring this out as far as is useful.

I've stayed with the Retrofit DC-3 during the last many flights only to minimize any inconstancies between aircraft. I've already had other aircraft with the same autopilot suite behave the same way. I don't think I can blame this on a single aircraft, unless I figure out later there's some sort of caching/data bleedover when switching between aircraft during the same flying session.

-Where it's at now is that sometimes the DC-3 will load up with a correctly working AP with all the button selections and actions doing what they are supposed to do. A whole multi-hour flight goes perfectly.

-On a few flights, the correctly working AP system will suddenly stop working for no apparent reason a few hours into the flight, with no way to make it work correctly for the duration of the flight.

-If the aircraft loads up with a brain-dead AP, sometimes using the in-sim restart will bring it back to correctly working status. Sometimes the restart doesn't.

-If the in-sim restart using the same flight doesn't reactivate the AP, occasionally I can get the AP to kick back in by loading up the DC-3 at a completely different airport. With luck, I can then back out of that medicinal flight and then reload the flight I wanted to make, and the AP will be back to normal. That doesn't always work either,
    and the AP will fail again as soon as I reload the intended aircraft and flight plan.

Just a very odd thing. :-)

Forest

Have the same erratic AP problem with the DC-3. Also no luck to far i pinpointing were the problem is coming from.

Marcel

Yesterday flew for a couple of hours in South America with a Retro DC-3
    Forgot to do the 'move the hydraulic lever behind the Co-Pilot' procedure & the AP wouldn't take.
    Paused the flight, moved the lever [2 step process] & then unpaused.
    AP took & held for the rest of the flight. (NAV, & VS to ALT)
    T43

I used the DC-3 on one of my Africa tour legs this weekend. The AP seemed fine except it would only follow Hdg. NAV follow was a no go. Flew it like that the whole flight. Not paying attention it over flew the destination by a few miles. Wanted to use Hdg to fly back, but the AP must have completely died once the aircraft passed the arrival Pont. The odd thing is that with it being on Hdg Hold, that shouldn't have mattered. Makes me think there's something going on between the default planner and the AP that causes this.

Members who have read this thread: 71