Great Modeling Resource

Thread: Great Modeling Resource

Great Modeling Resource

I posted this in the FS9 forum but I'm cross-posting because so many folks I've gotten to know over the years hang out in different fora.

Recently my modeling partner David stumbled onto a great resource: Free Ginter books (Naval Fighters and Air Force Legends series) in your choice of digital formats.

It's a page on the Internet Archive, which seems to be a legitimate site, with twenty-three books listed. The subjects are American military aircraft of the late 1940s through around the 1970s or 80s. There are prototypes and in-service aircraft ranging from the very obscure to the very well known, mainly Navy and Marine types but a couple Air Force or multi-service types, the C-124 Globemaster and the Convair twins.

Most modelers will be familiar with the Ginter books, but if you're not, they are heavily illustrated in fine detail, but also include extensive history of the planes, excellent references for modeling and very interesting as reading material for airplane buffs.

The list seems to be getting a little shorter. The XB-51 book was on it when we started that project but now it's gone, and there may have been a couple others that disappeared, so grab what you want now.

Here's the link:

https://archive.org/search?query=sub...raft%22+Ginter

Fantastico ! Thank you, Mick !

Of course i have a nice collection of Steve Ginter booklets already for countless years but it's just wonderful to have some in digital form now too. Especially great to see one of my all time fav aircraft amongst them too, the Lockheed T2V Seastar. I was about 25% into the digital modeling process for FSX/P3D of it ( did a plastic model twice) when MSFS came about so that's where it ended... I'm about 100% sure we'll never going to see a T2V in MSFS but certainly a T-33 will do fine as well.

Thanks again, Mick, downloading a bunch as i type ;-)

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Fantastico ! Thank you, Mick !

Of course i have a nice collection of Steve Ginter booklets already for countless years but it's just wonderful to have some in digital form now too. Especially great to see one of my all time fav aircraft amongst them too, the Lockheed T2V Seastar. I was about 25% into the digital modeling process for FSX/P3D of it ( did a plastic model twice) when MSFS came about so that's where it ended... I'm about 100% sure we'll never going to see a T2V in MSFS but certainly a T-33 will do fine as well.

Thanks again, Mick, downloading a bunch as i type ;-)

Cheers,
    Jan
    I also have a selection of Ginter books in hard copy. That's great for relaxing reading in my recliner, but I found it very handy to also have the book for a modeling project in PDF where I can just open it on screen instead of wrangling it into my confined workspace and trying to keep it open to the relevant page.

BTW, Robin tells me in the FS9 forum that there are more Ginter books on that site and if you know what you're looking for you can find them if you search by aircraft type.

Are you using pirated add-ons? I hope not. Unfortunately these "FREE" PDF files are pirated versions of copyrighted publications still on sale at Ginter books.
    Naval Fighters Series (ginterbooks.com)

So do the right thing and buy the book.
    Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by skylineapa View Post
    So do the right thing and buy the book.
    Well, i *did* by the books, Peter. Many of 'em, years ago and even still in this day and age. But if you are right i don't want to have anything to do with piracy. If you say that Internet Archive and Creative Commons (CC Licenses) are pirates and crooks i'll dump the digital Ginter books i downloaded in the trashcan. Easy but i hope not..

Members who have read this thread: 2