Great Modeling Resource

Thread: Great Modeling Resource

Great Modeling Resource

I posted this in my "home" forum (FS9) but I'm cross-posting because I know so many folks I know from years ago hang out in the CFS2 and FSX fora.

Recently my modeling partner David stumbled onto a great resource: Free Ginter books (Naval Fighters and Air Force Legends series) in your choice of digital formats.

It's a page on the Internet Archive, which seems to be a legitimate site, with twenty-three books listed. The subjects are American military aircraft of the late 1940s through around the 1970s or 80s. There are prototypes and in-service aircraft ranging from the very obscure to the very well known, mainly Navy and Marine types but a couple Air Force or multi-service types, the C-124 Globemaster and the Convair twins.

Most modelers will be familiar with the Ginter books, but if you're not, they are heavily illustrated in fine detail, but also include extensive history of the planes, excellent references for modeling and very interesting as reading material for airplane buffs.

The list seems to be getting a little shorter. The XB-51 book was on it when we started that project but now it's gone, and there may have been a couple others that disappeared, so grab what you want now.

Here's the link:

https://archive.org/search?query=sub...raft%22+Ginter

Thanks very much for sharing this resource. Lots of great information - photos, drawings, stats, etc. - there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I posted this in my "home" forum (FS9) but I'm cross-posting because I know so many folks I know from years ago hang out in the CFS2 and FSX fora.

Recently my modeling partner David stumbled onto a great resource: Free Ginter books (Naval Fighters and Air Force Legends series) in your choice of digital formats.

It's a page on the Internet Archive, which seems to be a legitimate site, with twenty-three books listed. The subjects are American military aircraft of the late 1940s through around the 1970s or 80s. There are prototypes and in-service aircraft ranging from the very obscure to the very well known, mainly Navy and Marine types but a couple Air Force or multi-service types, the C-124 Globemaster and the Convair twins.

Most modelers will be familiar with the Ginter books, but if you're not, they are heavily illustrated in fine detail, but also include extensive history of the planes, excellent references for modeling and very interesting as reading material for airplane buffs.

The list seems to be getting a little shorter. The XB-51 book was on it when we started that project but now it's gone, and there may have been a couple others that disappeared, so grab what you want now.

Here's the link:

https://archive.org/search?query=sub...raft%22+Ginter
    Thanks very muck for the link Mick, great resource.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Thanks for the link Mick!

Cheers

Paul

Robin tells me in the FS9 forum that there are more Ginter books on that site and if you know what you're looking for you can find them if you search by aircraft type.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Robin tells me in the FS9 forum that there are more Ginter books on that site and if you know what you're looking for you can find them if you search by aircraft type.
    Sorry, those are all the Ginter books there, there are plenty of others to find. Not all of the others are downloadable, but, by signing up, are 'readable'.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Sorry, those are all the Ginter books there, there are plenty of others to find. Not all of the others are downloadable, but, by signing up, are 'readable'.
    I looked at the Ginter site and searched for each book except for a few types so obscure and unsuccessful that I couldn't summon up any interest in them. Aside from the XB-51 mentioned earlier, they were the Grumman AF Guardian, McDonnell XF-88 Voodoo and North American F-86H Sabre.

Thank You

I am looking for Steve Ginter's Douglas TBD Devastator but the search came up empty.

Members who have read this thread: 0