Flight Replicas releases Spitfire Mk.1a and Mk.IIa for MSFS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flight Replicas releases Spitfire Mk.1a and Mk.IIa for MSFS

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    This is exactly right.
    Yes! I suffered exactly this effect with the old Plane Design Spitfire XVI in FS2004. Brilliant model that flew to the numbers, no doubt, but with dead-fish rudder pedals, a plastic joystick and no physical cues I found it impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by vipgroup View Post
    Is the aircraft.cfg included in the marketplace offering?
    Not generally. There have been calls on the official forum to allow developers to sell unlocked content, but I haven't seen one yet.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Not generally. There have been calls on the official forum to allow developers to sell unlocked content, but I haven't seen one yet.
    Thanks for the feedback. Just as developers can make a weapons "unlock" available off the marketplace for free, maybe they should also be willing to release only the aircraft.cfg when a customer asks. That file would be useless without the purchase in the first place. The marketplace still has their slice of the profit, and the buyer is happy too. A thought.

- Kenneth

If y'all haven't voted yet, it'd be great to get more votes on this. We were successful in getting the Premium/Deluxe aircraft unencrypted and that's brought some great enhancements. Here we're just asking for config files to be unencrypted, so that the actual planes will still be safe from scurvy pirates.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...k-config-files

If they'd allow this, folks like Mike could still have their planes encypted but allow their config files to be tweaked.

Also submitted as a topic for the next dev q&a, so any votes on the topic would be really helpful right now.

A quick note. I asked Mike on Facebook if the aircraft.cfg was present, and he confirmed it is not. However, I watched a video of the aircraft, and decided the sounds were enough for me. I bought it, and have flown it for about an hour. Initial emotional reaction? I really like it. Yes, I could act like a reviewer again and find faults, but at the sheer gut level of fun and satisfaction, this is a beauty. No regrets getting it. I will pick up his future models too, (the Mk.V and SeaFire). And I will encourage him to give us a bubble cockpit version further down the line too. Mike, if you see this, nice job!

- Kenneth

A quick note. I asked Mike on Facebook if the aircraft.cfg was present, and he confirmed it is not. However, I watched a video of the aircraft, and decided the sounds were enough for me. I bought it, and have flown it for about an hour. Initial emotional reaction? I really like it. Yes, I could act like a reviewer again and find faults, but at the sheer gut level of fun and satisfaction, this is a beauty. No regrets getting it. I will pick up his future models too, (the Mk.V and SeaFire). And I will encourage him to give us a bubble cockpit version further down the line too. Mike, if you see this, nice job!

- Kenneth

EDIT TO THE ABOVE... I think the MSFS marketplace may have this on sale now, I see every Flight Replicas design with a considerable discount, but since I now own the Spit, I cannot see the price. IF there's a big sale, my only regret is buying it at full price just a few hours before the sale appeared out of nowhere! Thanks Marketplace...

Still showing full price £16.24 GBP so I think you're OK...

EDIT TO THE ABOVE... I think the MSFS marketplace may have this on sale now, I see every Flight Replicas design with a considerable discount, but since I now own the Spit, I cannot see the price. IF there's a big sale, my only regret is buying it at full price just a few hours before the sale appeared out of nowhere! Thanks Marketplace...
    Thanks, Kenneth!

Don't worry, the Spitfire is too new a release to qualify for the Sale. It has to have been in the Marketplace for a certain time beforehand.

And yes, the there is a Spitfire low-back/bubble-top in the works, which should be underway once the Seafire III is complete.

Mike

Please tell me that it is a Mk.16! The most beautiful Spit without a shadow of a doubt!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Thanks, Kenneth!

Don't worry, the Spitfire is too new a release to qualify for the Sale. It has to have been in the Marketplace for a certain time beforehand.

And yes, the there is a Spitfire low-back/bubble-top in the works, which should be underway once the Seafire III is complete.

Mike
    Mike, your Spitfire is a thing of beauty, and despite initial misgivings on the sound (I had only watched a YouTube video at that point), now that I fly it, I really like the sound. And thanks for the info regarding the price, If I had temporarily "overpaid", and been refunded, I would have instantly re-purchased the Spit along with the Fox Moth.

Now, an aside, sort of, I have hesitated on your Fox Moth because people say you aliased the C152 sounds, and being a die-hard DeHavilland fan, I love the sound of the Gypsy... If I could alias the sound to the Ants Tiger, or the original FSX AH Chippy, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and thus buy the beast! Might still regardless because I like your choice of aircraft subjects.

But looking ahead, I will anticipate your future Spits, Seafires, etc. You are on a roll sir!!!!

Greetings from Saskatchewan
    - Kenneth

Mike, your Spitfire is a thing of beauty, and despite initial misgivings on the sound (I had only watched a YouTube video at that point), now that I fly it, I really like the sound. And thanks for the info regarding the price, If I had temporarily "overpaid", and been refunded, I would have instantly re-purchased the Spit along with the Fox Moth.

Now, an aside, sort of, I have hesitated on your Fox Moth because people say you aliased the C152 sounds, and being a die-hard DeHavilland fan, I love the sound of the Gypsy... If I could alias the sound to the Ants Tiger, or the original FSX AH Chippy, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and thus buy the beast! Might still regardless because I like your choice of aircraft subjects.

But looking ahead, I will anticipate your future Spits, Seafires, etc. You are on a roll sir!!!!

Greetings from Saskatchewan
    - Kenneth

The C-152 sounds were used because I've flown real Tiger Moths a couple of times (in fact, when I still had a real plane, one was parked in front of mine in the hangar - owned and flown by an ex-Halifax tail gunner), and the sounds in the model sounds pretty much identical to me, inside and out. Plus they (there were two) were out flying at our airfield many, many times. Of course, there's a large amount of subjectivity when it comes to sounds, but I like those. If you can find other sounds you like better, then of course, use them. I'm not sure how to alias sounds outside of using the aircraft.cfg, but another dev has been helping use a different method, via the Community folder, and if that can work (with the Spitfire) then perhaps it'll work with the DH.83. Stand by.

Priller: Likely to be an XIV and XVI (was able to use Michael Potter's XVI for some of the cockpit 'feel' for the Mk.I model), if all goes well.

Mike

PS Apparently my daughter likes them, too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2530.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	376.5 KB 
ID:	92373

The C-152 sounds were used because I've flown real Tiger Moths a couple of times (in fact, when I still had a real plane, one was parked in front of mine in the hangar - owned and flown by an ex-Halifax tail gunner), and the sounds in the model sounds pretty much identical to me, inside and out. Plus they (there were two) were out flying at our airfield many, many times. Of course, there's a large amount of subjectivity when it comes to sounds, but I like those. If you can find other sounds you like better, then of course, use them. I'm not sure how to alias sounds outside of using the aircraft.cfg, but another dev has been helping use a different method, via the Community folder, and if that can work (with the Spitfire) then perhaps it'll work with the DH.83. Stand by.

Priller: Likely to be an XIV and XVI (was able to use Michael Potter's XVI for some of the cockpit 'feel' for the Mk.I model), if all goes well.

Mike

PS Apparently my daughter likes them, too

Name:	DSCN2530.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	376.5 KB 
ID:	92373
    Hi Mike.

Yes, I have edited the aircraft.cfg too at times. Funnily enough, when I bought your L4, since it had the aircraft.cfg, I aliased the C152 sound... But I will be interested to learn of the potential alternate approach as your experimentation unfolds. But, after reflecting on your comments regarding the C152 sound and the real Tigers, maybe I need to pull the trigger on the DH.83 and earn you some more money! (EDIT:- Bought it ten minutes after writing this post, hence the new edit. Talking about Michael Potter, have you thought of issuing a free re-paint of C-FYPM to stir up interest in this model, here and on "other" popular MSFS sites?)

And that bubble canopy Spit, what a superb looking aircraft. I don't think we've ever had a high-quality version of one of those in the MS franchise, and I go back with 35 years experience in this title, both as a user and (in the1990's) a developer. And, I laughed at your daughter standing by it, I have a picture of my daughter (18 years ago) standing in front of Harvard "46" of the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association. She was not showing the same enthusiasm as your lassie, but your picture brought that moment to mind. (By the way, we could do with a genuine Harvard in the sim instead of just the Texan. Then we could fly those former BCATP stations in style - I noticed the hangars in your picture).

Keep up the good work.
    - Kenneth
    Last edited by vipgroup; November 25th, 2023 at 19:37.

Sometimes, in this hobby people can feel a little frustration when multiple developers work on the same aircraft type. However, that's a limiting way to look at it. Different developers bring us a variety of models and variants, more livery choices, alternate design approaches to the subject aircraft, and often a choice of price point too. I welcome the variety when it's an aircraft I am passionate about, and surely the greatest example is the Spitfire. So many possible combinations of mark, variant, livery, etc. So here is evidence of the ongoing expansion of our hobby. A quick formation flight with the Flight Replicas Mk.II and the Flying Irons Mk.IX together in the virtual skies. And I'll add a shot from another flight of the Flight Replicas aircraft breaking out of the clouds just for fun. And now I hear that Aeroplane Heaven is adding the Spitfire prototype to their offerings. I very much look forward to the release of more Spitfires, Seafires, and who knows, maybe a Spiteful some day too? Bring em on, and more power to each developer.

- Kenneth

Name:	20231125182626_1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	92378

Name:	20231125182642_1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	92379

Name:	20231125182947_1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	92377

Name:	20231125183057_1.jpg 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	92380

Name:	20231126001158_1.jpg 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	92381

Sometimes, in this hobby people can feel a little frustration when multiple developers work on the same aircraft type. However, that's a limiting way to look at it. Different developers bring us a variety of models and variants, more livery choices, alternate design approaches to the subject aircraft, and often a choice of price point too. I welcome the variety when it's an aircraft I am passionate about, and surely the greatest example is the Spitfire. So many possible combinations of mark, variant, livery, etc. So here is evidence of the ongoing expansion of our hobby. A quick formation flight with the Flight Replicas Mk.II and the Flying Irons Mk.IX together in the virtual skies. And I'll add a shot from another flight of the Flight Replicas aircraft breaking out of the clouds just for fun. And now I hear that Aeroplane Heaven is adding the Spitfire prototype to their offerings. I very much look forward to the release of more Spitfires, Seafires, and who knows, maybe a Spiteful some day too? Bring em on, and more power to each developer.

- Kennet
    Nice pics! May have to see if the pilot can also be selectable in the air, so that users can switch liveries/models while in flight.

Personally, I build aircraft I like (and when it takes about a six-nine months or more, you really have to like them), and not for the 'market'. No interest in capturing a market or competing with anyone. I think quite a few developers do that. And as such, you can end up with several examples of the same type being available, each with their strengths and weaknesses definable only by the end user.

Should perhaps also mention that there's a new version of the Spitfire Mk.1 Manual available. It now has a page on the use of the "Assistance Options", as these can dramatically alter the Spitfire's performance.

The new Manual can be downloaded here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/Downloads.htm

Mike

Nice pics! May have to see if the pilot can also be selectable in the air, so that users can switch liveries/models while in flight.

Personally, I build aircraft I like (and when it takes about a six-nine months or more, you really have to like them), and not for the 'market'. No interest in capturing a market or competing with anyone. I think quite a few developers do that. And as such, you can end up with several examples of the same type being available, each with their strengths and weaknesses definable only by the end user.
    Hi Mike.

The missing pilot in this case is a function of using Flight Control Replay. I flew your Mk.II first, and that was the flight I recorded for playback, complete with the pilot. Then, during playback of that file, I flew the Mk.IX in formation with it, well, I tried to as it's not as easy as it looks! It seems to me that FCR possibly uses the MSFS slew, hence the pilot can be missing on replay. So this may not necessarily be related to your design approach.

I do however like your approach to picking subjects. If we cannot stay personally and emotionally engaged with our work, it is easy for it to lose the edge. And if that work is also our hobby, we can implicate two important aspects of life in tandem. I started to see that happen with VIP Group all those years ago. My hobby became my work, and sometimes the business side stole some enthusiasm, and that affected my hobbyist activity too. Keep on producing for your passion, and when you hit a home run with the market, take it as a blessing and a bonus. I sometimes really miss being in the FS industry, but have not found the way back in.. So maintain the balance and love every minute.

Someone on a facebook group asked me today what I think about your Spit. I want to give a reasoned opinion that may encourage sales for you while also reflecting on the fact that they cannot compare it with competitors on a feature by feature level. You are correct in saying the end user defines value based on personal preference. If the tablet in the FI is what they count on, they will miss it in yours. If they only want one Spit (sacrilege - LOL), they may not sacrifice their tablet! But often feeling trumps features. And that is what I would convey. There's a warm fuzzy flying your Spitfire. It is as satisfying as a good cold Scottish beer on a hot Saskatchewan day in July. (And I will fly your Spit a lot more than I drink beer!).

One last thought for now. If you have not done so, maybe ask Michael Potter to introduce you to Dave Hadfield. His insights might be wonderful on flying so many of the aircraft you build. Worth an hour's meeting at Timmies methinks!

- Kenneth

One last thought for now. If you have not done so, maybe ask Michael Potter to introduce you to Dave Hadfield. His insights might be wonderful on flying so many of the aircraft you build. Worth an hour's meeting at Timmies methinks!

- Kenneth
    Thanks, Kenneth, for that thoughtful reply. Thanks, too, for the suggestion - I had dinner with Dave Hadfield about ten years ago, at a fund raiser in the Vintage Wings hangar, and we talked about flight simming, etc.. We talked about beta testing the P-40N, and communicated back and forth for quite a while - but in the end, it fell through. Too large a gap, I think, between the real thing and flight simulation to be really be able to bridge the fields. I haven't been able to keep in closer contact with Vintage Wings as their Gatineau hangar is just a little too far for comfort now. Dave has done, and continues to do so, YouTube videos about flying the aircraft he flies - Spitfire, P-40N, Fox Moth, Hurricane - and his comments, from procedures to handling, all very useful when writing the flight dynamics for sim aircraft! Numbers are one thing - the feeling of flight, definitely another.

(Speaking of bridging the fields, that's why I'm happy that it's a member of Spitfire Mk.Vb BM597's flight crew that will be talking with Dave Harvey about Spitfire handling - said flight crew also being an experienced flight sim user, and beta tester on the Spit.)

That's Michael Potter's Spitfire that my daughter is standing next to, in the photo, when VW came down for a visit - since sold, I believe.

Commander Mike Crosley's book "They Gave Me a Seafire" describes how difficult it was to fly Spitfires in formation, due to the sensitive elevators - so no wonder it wasn't easy with the Spitfire formation. Imagine 12! Apparently the RN pilots much preferred Hurricanes for formation work.

No intention to stop making the aircraft - and man, the requests keep coming in - but one's brain certainly starts to zone out after a few months, it does become difficult to 'see' the project and its million details after a while. So a bit of a slog, but good people like the beta testers and users are all experts at bringing dev's back to reality and motivation.

Mike

"Oleg syndrome." Perfect, I love it. That term has just entered my permanent flight sim vocab.

August

Members who have read this thread: 9