RAF Gravesend

Thread: RAF Gravesend

RAF Gravesend

A new airfield for you. using the objects Kdriver adapted from Clive (Pat Pattle) Morley CFS3 objects, both forum member's, thanks guys.

A civil airfield originally, sometimes used by airliners as a diversionary airfield for Croydon. Requisitioned by the RAF in 1939
    and became an 11 sector airfield as a satellite for Biggin Hill. Gravesend developed into an extensive fighter airfield
    with extended runways, blisterhangers and blast pens. and i may revisit in the future, but for now we have Gravesend as it looked in spring 1940
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G3.jpg  

RAF Gravesend FS9

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Scenery

Description: Gravesend, 11 group airfield in kent, 15 miles east of London. see read-me for details

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit RAF Gravesend FS9
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    I'm glad the objects got put to good use - well done Ian!
    Cheers,
    Kevin

Thanks to everybody involved in this lovely scenery. I can use it for my pre-war and early war screenshots and as you can see it blends perfect with my GW3 install.

Huub

psst...you might want to take a look at period photo's here https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69125

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    psst...you might want to take a look at period photo's here https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69125

ttfn

Pete
    WOW!!!

That shows just how much attention those airfield got from the Luftwaffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggers View Post
    WOW!!!

That shows just how much attention those airfield got from the Luftwaffe.
    I was more surprised by the camouflage lengths that were gone to, like painting hedge boundaries back across the all grass landing fields like at Detling ,Croydon and Stapleford for example

Ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; November 6th, 2023 at 14:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    I was more surprised by the camouflage lengths that were gone to, like painting hedge boundaries back across the all grass landing fields like at Detling ,Croydon and Stapleford for example

Ttfn

Pete
    Thanks for the link. When I look at the big hangar at Gravesend I wonder whether it was such a good idea to apply dark camouflage paint at the roof. The dark hangar is very easy to recognise at the light roads...

Cheers,
    Huub

I did occur to me to make these airfields more wartime looking, but i like the look of them in there original state, and camo'ing texture's seem'd to much hard work. And to be fair, the Luftwaffe knew exactly where all these targets were.
    Thanks for the link Pete, i'll revisit Biggin sometime and the photos will be very usefull

Library Staff
    Here are the camouflage textures for Gravesend.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Kevin,

As you can see below I have tried them and they sure look nice. But somehow I prefer the pre-camouflage version, most probably because my gives me a more "vintage feeling". (Whatever that may be .)
    I also have Ian's pre-war Manston and Martelsham installed, which give me the same feeling.

Cheers,
    Huub

Library Staff
    Hi Huub & Ian,

I agree - I've used the pre-war textures for my CFS2 rendition of Gravesend.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 0