tease

Thread: tease

I'm glad the cat's finally out of the bag! I've been looking forward to seeing/reading updates on the Fort.

Obviously will be following this one closely. For those of you keeping score at home, 2024 is going to be a big year for B-17 fans.
    -Masters of the Air comes out
    -New sims from Microprose including the new B-17 Mighty Eighth game, that will revolved around the 100th BG I believe as well as a VR friendly B-17 game.
    -Hopefully this may come out late '24
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

This is the 'heavy' that Flying Iron announced at the end of 2022, but have they definitely confirmed it is a B-17 ? Their Halloween Facebook announcement was a bit ambiguous, and some people were speculating about a B-25 - which was my guess, too.

Yeah, it's quite official on their Discord.

I saw Sally B on the ground at Villaroche Air Legend this year and it was legendary. I have been waiting for 17 in this sim for a while, this will be good. After their 109 I am quite confident that I'll like this one, too.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    This is the 'heavy' that Flying Iron announced at the end of 2022, but have they definitely confirmed it is a B-17 ? Their Halloween Facebook announcement was a bit ambiguous, and some people were speculating about a B-25 - which was my guess, too.
    There's a long thread at Flying Iron's Discord about the B-17, nothing about the B-25 though....

I believe one of the FI crew is also participating so yeah, looks like we can safely assume it's deffinately a B-17G on the Flying Iron drawing board.

If there's one aeroplane i dearly miss in MSFS it's the A2A B-17 so i'll be looking forward to FI's interpretation with bated breath. One thing's for sure IMHO, the A2A B-17 was a true and utter gem in FSX/P3D !

Mr. Mugel, Javis - I'm not a fan of Discord, so thanks very much for the info.

A Flying Iron Fortress, my goodness ! Based on what they've produced so far, it's going to be something very special. I hope Jankees and Bomber 12th have their paint brushes at the ready.

Mr. Mugel, Javis - I'm not a fan of Discord, so thanks very much for the info.
    Believe me i'm not a fan neither, Paul. Probabely just because of the awkward registration process. A couple of moons ago though i was very interested in a modeling issue of a particular new MSFS aircraft model that could only be followed on Discord. That certainly did make the tedious reg process worthwhile. And now i'm happy to read about the Flying Iron B-17 development process. Just about the aircraft model i miss most in MSFS. I'll keep you posted.

A Flying Iron Fortress, my goodness ! Based on what they've produced so far, it's going to be something very special.
    Particularly based on their latest gem, the BF-109G, we could possibly assume that the FI B-17G can stand proudly in the shadow of the A2A Accusim B-17G or, possibly hopefully, move out of it ! I did particularly love the crew anticipation, engine sounds and truly innovative stuff like the 3D propeller anims and vibrating engine nacelles.

I hope Jankees and Bomber 12th have their paint brushes at the ready.
    I bet we certainly don't have to worry about that !

The total lack of discussion of the Hunter by this of all crowds is telling.

Dave Garwood's Hunter collection is amazing and wonderful. And any more detailed systems in a Hunter-era jet would just be annoying.

Odd choice to do payware of a jet that's already represented by some of the very best freeware out there for the sim, when there are so many other jets from that era that haven't been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks, Jan. I can't think of a single person who wouldn't want the Fortress in MSFS.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    The total lack of discussion of the Hunter by this of all crowds is telling.

Dave Garwood's Hunter collection is amazing and wonderful. And any more detailed systems in a Hunter-era jet would just be annoying.

Odd choice to do payware of a jet that's already represented by some of the very best freeware out there for the sim, when there are so many other jets from that era that haven't been done.
    Yes, bit of an odd choice, given the quality and availability of DG's Hunter. All the best to Flying Iron, of course, but I would have preferred maybe the T-33 or Jet Provost.

Thanks, Jan. I can't think of a single person who wouldn't want the Fortress in MSFS.

Yes, bit of an odd choice, given the quality and availability of DG's Hunter. All the best to Flying Iron, of course, but I would have preferred maybe the T-33 or Jet Provost.
    I agree on the B-17. And a very early livery request to FI to include "Sentimental Journey" - I got a press flight in it ten years ago, sitting in the bomb aimer's seat up front... Made up for a broken promise of a Lancaster flight back in the VIP days when the team created the Lanc for FS98.

And... Oh yes, a nice Jet Provost would be sweet sometime, and an RCAF Snowbird's Tutor. But, all of us could give a massive list of personal requests couldn't we?

looking forward to this one as well. The Marketplace version will look pretty bare though, especially if it a G.

- dcc
    - -

Quote Originally Posted by vipgroup View Post
    I agree on the B-17. And a very early livery request to FI to include "Sentimental Journey" - I got a press flight in it ten years ago, sitting in the bomb aimer's seat up front... Made up for a broken promise of a Lancaster flight back in the VIP days when the team created the Lanc for FS98.

And... Oh yes, a nice Jet Provost would be sweet sometime, and an RCAF Snowbird's Tutor. But, all of us could give a massive list of personal requests couldn't we?
    Ow yes , I could imagine a few .

Well... It has been a loooooooooong time coming, but it looks like the wait may have been worth it. Trailer looks amazing.

https://youtu.be/2RWohylGm3c?si=5BeEYKOG6tF4Wu5p

Looking forward to that, too. Hoping it can live up to the hype!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by Wittpilot View Post
    Well... It has been a loooooooooong time coming, but it looks like the wait may have been worth it. Trailer looks amazing.
    Wish you would've said that about the model.... (i know, the coming hasn't been that loooong yet, still.... ;-)

The movie.....hmmm....still remember that god awfull pure Hollywood 'Pearl Harbor' dreadful eyesore. I hesitate to say that 'Memphis Belle' is the ultimate movie about the B-17 (check out 'The War Lover' with Steve Mcqueen, based on the novel by John Hersey) but it is getting very close. Even by only watching this trailer (and 'Pearl Harbor' in mind) i'd say it will be a fat chance for this new 'Masters of the Air' movie to stand in the shadow of 'Memphis Belle' and hold out. Lots and lots of CGI no doubt (blèhh... ) (mind you i love computers..;-) like that so called 'Pearl Harbor' (if you like to see a good movie about Pearl Harbor check out "Tora, Tora, Tora").

Please, once you have seen "Masters of the Air" go ahead and correct me if i'm wrong.

Well Javis, I have some good news, and I have some bad news.

The bad news, expect "some" CGI. The fact is there were no REAL B-17's used in the filming. However, they made 2 full scale mockups that would fool 99.9% of warbird fans out there. In addition to that, they built several fully equipped interior hulls for interior filming.

The good news....

The good news is is that for the most part, this will probably be the most accurate portrayal we will have seen since Twelve O'Clock High. The detail that went into the sets, design, wardrobe is unbelievable. Everything from the tiny stuff written on the walls in the backgrounds of the shots. Wherever possible, special effects were replaced with practical. For instance, they wanted actual 50 caliber machine guns firing blanks, so that's what they did. I know a few people that were involved in the technical side of things and even they were blown away at the lengths they went to to get stuff "right".

Also, fortunately this will actually be a mini-series, so not a feature-length film.

I have to agree with you on the Pearl Harbor though Javis!!! lol If you want a film that was as close to combat as possible, the original 12 O' Clock High is about as close as you're going to get. My grandfather, who was a 44 mission combat vet in 17's, said that was the closest to what combat was really like.

So in short, put aside your worries and give it a go Javis! Yeah, they will probably through some love story in there, hey, it's Hollywood and they have to pay the bills!!! And we still don't know how they are going to fit the Tuskegee guys in there, but maybe they thought of witty way to do it! I think it is going to be a great show.
    Last edited by Wittpilot; November 9th, 2023 at 15:11. Reason: Spelling

It had better be good, because their memory deserves it. I live in the 8th AF part of Britain - the two bases where James Stewart served are about 11 miles down the road. Down another road lies Thorpe Abbotts, home to the Bloody 100th.

In contrast to the movies 'Pearl Harbor' and more recently 'Midway', we the audience should be credited with some intelligence, and not have our reactions constantly cued for us. I hope it is more documentary, warts and all, than merely maudlin flag-waving - something like a film adaptation of Donald Miller's honest history of the 8th.

Looking at the trailer, the CGI isn't brilliant - I wish western studios would learn from the Japanese. Looking forward to watching it, though.

I already have Netflix, Disney, Max, Prime, and Hulu. Guess I won't be watching this one...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I already have Netflix, Disney, Max, Prime, and Hulu. Guess I won't be watching this one...

Hey Tom. Understandable folks don't want one more streaming service than they already have lol. What I tell folks is just wait till they all air, then do the 7 day free trial, and then cancel it after you've watched them all. You're not out any $$ and even if it takes more than 7 days to get through it, you're out $9 for the month. Anymore, that's about as much as a fancy footlong from Subway!! lol
    -Witt

Well , i did like "band of brothers" and the "pacific" was ok aswell.
    I,m realy looking forward to this one.

Members who have read this thread: 0