Sherpa is out.

Thread: Sherpa is out.

Sherpa is out.

Blackbox Shorts has been released on their website: BlackBox Simulation Software

Comes with the following for 50 Euro:

• Shorts SD3-30 Passenger Aircraft
    • Shorts SD3-30 SHERPA Military/Cargo prototype
    • Shorts SD3-30 UTT Military / Cargo Export model
    • Shorts C23A Military Transport
    • Shorts SD3-30 Cargo variant
    • Shorts SD3-60 Passenger Aircraft
    • Shorts SD3-60 Cargo Variant
    • Shorts C23B Military Transport
    • Shorts C23C Military Transport

It looks really nice, but I'll wait for some reviews.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Killbilly View Post
    Blackbox Shorts has been released on their website: BlackBox Simulation Software

Comes with the following for 50 Euro:

• Shorts SD3-30 Passenger Aircraft
    • Shorts SD3-30 SHERPA Military/Cargo prototype
    • Shorts SD3-30 UTT Military / Cargo Export model
    • Shorts C23A Military Transport
    • Shorts SD3-30 Cargo variant
    • Shorts SD3-60 Passenger Aircraft
    • Shorts SD3-60 Cargo Variant
    • Shorts C23B Military Transport
    • Shorts C23C Military Transport

It looks really nice, but I'll wait for some reviews.
    Wow, I really wanted this aircraft when first announced, but Blackbox pricing is holding me back. +$53 USD
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I bought it for the SD330. Exterior model is good, flight model seems okay...interior is very "meh" compared to the current standard. They brag about all the liveries, and they are right, but bear in mind that number is spread across the variants. $53 was a bit steep, but I always want a new toy. Hopefully there will be a scad of good repaints on flightsim.to...

What can I say? I'm a sucker...but the jury is still out...was hoping BB's quality had improved since the L-19...and it has...a bit.

Kent

I also sprung for this - and the FSR500 - today, and the Pilot's Dash 7 earlier this week, and the MU-2... I'm not addicted, I can stop anytime I like
    I think the interior is appropriate - these planes were never executive transports, they were cattle trucks basically.
    I've flown the 330 and the 360 pax versions and both seem a bit twitchy on the elevator and a bit floaty over the runway on landing, apart from that I'm delighted with them so far.

Had some friends who flew the "Air Pig" for American Buzzard ((cough cough I meant American Eagle). The VC window views are dead on from my memory of being in the cockpit when they flew into town. It's a wide greenhouse for sure. They told me they were dependable and docile but nevertheless UGLY!

Anyhow, nice model which I will get plenty of good use from. I agree with my friend Kent's assessment on the VC. The shapes are good but it could use some heavy re-texturing to better tune it up so the VC fits the rest of the model.

Enjoyed my first flight which was a single circuit but will get back to it later.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like the other BBS offerings, and I've been itching for something to replace my Twotter. I'll be picking this one up while I wait on fixes and a cargo variant for the Quad Otter.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

AvAngel has it, and she's rather complimentary.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    AvAngel has it, and she's rather complimentary.

She's my favorite reviewer -- great information, honesty, and charming humor. I'll probably pick this up. Thanks.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    I also sprung for this - and the FSR500 - today, and the Pilot's Dash 7 earlier this week, and the MU-2... I'm not addicted, I can stop anytime I like
    I think the interior is appropriate - these planes were never executive transports, they were cattle trucks basically.
    I've flown the 330 and the 360 pax versions and both seem a bit twitchy on the elevator and a bit floaty over the runway on landing, apart from that I'm delighted with them so far.
    I was at an out of the way airport in Costa Rica when one of these flew in over my head and landed. We we standing where the overrun would have been if they had one. So, I got a good look of it landing straight on. I noticed how it floated a while before touching down. I had never seen one before and had to ask the pilot what it was.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Can't help but notice they got the Reg wrong on the Manx 3-30, was G-BGNA

Ttfn

Pete

It looks like the Blackbox site has been updated to now show you can order just the model you want at lower cost vs. the entire collection. I'd be interested in just the Sherpa.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Im in holding pattern for the Shorts 360.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    It looks like the Blackbox site has been updated to now show you can order just the model you want at lower cost vs. the entire collection. I'd be interested in just the Sherpa.
    With the small price difference, I figured I might as well get the full pack now. At only 40% off of the full price, the Sherpa pack removes well over half of what's in the full pack.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    With the small price difference, I figured I might as well get the full pack now. At only 40% off of the full price, the Sherpa pack removes well over half of what's in the full pack.
    I would never fly all that is in the full pack, that's the value to me. Sherpa seems just right.

That's a fair point. I never fly the passenger variants, but they don't split the packages that way.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Killbilly View Post
    She's my favorite reviewer -- great information, honesty, and charming humor. I'll probably pick this up. Thanks.

Though charming she drives me bonkers with her lets muck around and figure out how to start it style. It tends to kill any illusion that a product is realistic.
    Would it kill you to give the manual a 10 minute once over. To each his own though.

Into the blue simulations is the best reviewer going in my opinion. He follows a checklist no matter how simple the aircraft and I come away with a much better understanding of the aircraft.
    I have never been surprised purchasing an aircraft he has reviewed

Updated...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Changelog - V1.1 8/Nov/23

* Added - Yoke visibility switching CAP/FO
    * Fixed - Hangar Livery image for Air Cargo Carriers 330
    * Added - VR Collision mesh - ALL variants
    * Fixed - duplicated switches - 330/360 Cargo
    * Fixed - PAX Seat Materials - PAX models
    * Fixed - 360 Pax Internal flags - Caused unlit multi LED indicators
    * Fixed - AutoPilot Disengaged Tooltip - was showing AP Master status
    * Fixed - Bendix King WX radar not booting up if mode knob moved too fast
    * Added - 833Hz com tuning option available in Panel.xml files

To enabled change the entry
    <COM833>0</COM833> to <COM833>1</COM833>

(Note 3rd digit represented by a trailing (Period) '.'
    eg: '124.825' will display '124.82.')

* Improved - Narrowed Yokes and adjusted position

* Improved - Several Tooltips More Descriptive
    - Wipers speed switch relabled
    - WindShield OHeat Tests added
    - Low Pressure / Fire Warning PTT Lamps
    * Improved - DME mode selector switch Interactions
    * Fixed - Starter Switches No TT Or Icons in Legacy Input Mode
    * Improved - Lighting Knob Input Handling and Sync
    * Fixed - Several Switches had reversed inputs using Legacy Input Mode
    - Engine Fire Warning Test L/R
    - Smoke Detectors Test L/R
    - Landing Gear Horn Test
    - AC Main Fan
    - AC Gasper Fans
    - AC Flight Comp Manual H/C
    - AC Pax Comp Manual H/C
    - Battery Master
    - Light filament Test
    - Deice Boot Timer
    - Prop DeIce L/R
    - WindShield OHeat Tests L/R
    - Circuit Breaker Lights L/R
    - Cabin Lights
    - Emergency Light L/C/R
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Icon26

[QUOTE=Tom Clayton;1323259]------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Changelog - V1.1 8/Nov/23

* Added - Yoke visibility switching CAP/FO
    * Fixed - Hangar Livery image for Air Cargo Carriers 330
    * Added - VR Collision mesh - ALL variants
    * Fixed - duplicated switches - 330/360 Cargo
    * Fixed - PAX Seat Materials - PAX models
    * Fixed - 360 Pax Internal flags - Caused unlit multi LED indicators
    * Fixed - AutoPilot Disengaged Tooltip - was showing AP Master status
    * Fixed - Bendix King WX radar not booting up if mode knob moved too fast
    * Added - 833Hz com tuning option available in Panel.xml files

Always wonder when these extensive 1st update lists come out whether there was any Beta testing or the Company decided to let the early adopters do that.
    T43

Extensive beta testing took place. I had a friend who's been testing it since late 2022.

I guess they need to enlist those guys who hang out on the official forum to post 20 things that are wrong with a new plane that gets 10,327 things right within hour of a plane shipping.

Though with those guys on the beta team, no plane will ever ship.

Question for those with the full package - is the cockpit and panel, systems and navigation etc on the Sherpa exactly the same as the 330 or has their been any militarisation?

I'm another for whom the Sherpa pack looks to have everything I need...

They look a little different, but function pretty much the same. If you read the tutorial document, you should be able to fly all the versions.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The paintkit is out on DropBox. Don't know of Graham will be adding it to the main site or not.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/iyo5r...duch2ece7&dl=0
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The Sherpa looks really fine for me. Turboprop systems are exciting. Flight and ground handling is working like a charme. The graphics could be better, but it is a Blackbox thing. I bought the whole package, because I like all the Shorts 360, 330 stuff, passenger, cargo, C-23 etc. Carenado did two versions, each 40 bucks. They are looking great, but with not the systems compared with Blackbox today.

Anyway, I am working on a 10th MAS Sherpa 84-0461. Based with the 10th MAS at Zweibrücken AB, Germany.

40461_7 by TiAr, auf Flickr

40461_3 by TiAr, auf Flickr

40461_5 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Thomas

I just want to put in an experienced perspective on the beta testing of BlackBox.

I was a beta tester for the Bulldog, Islander, and Trislander. I know I put in many many hundreds of hours on each of those aircraft. I probably flew a thousand or more hours in all just being critical of them and giving feedback that in one case caused Graham to re-design the entire nose of the Bulldog. I also spent more time doing screenshots for his marketing than I care to remember.

Well, some of you remember when both Graham and I were among the first third party developers for the FS series. We never worked together those decades ago, but when I volunteered to beta test for the above mentioned aircraft, I brought the same fastidious eye for critical detail to his work that I once did to the VIP Group projects.

Did I miss things? Yes. Did we create perfection? No. Were there times my lack of real-world knowledge and experience caused blind spots? Sure. But, I know Graham worked his backside off with just about every point that was raised, and if it was something he could not implement, he was honest enough to say so, and explain why. Sometimes his reasons were commercial, and as a former flight sim business owner I fully understood that.

Well, I did not test on the Shorts series, I had too many computer crashes and was away from the sim for a while, I also had other business developments and personal losses to deal with, so MSFS was a small priority. I do not know who all the testers were for the Shorts, but I know Graham, and I know he will have done his best, listened to criticisms, and made the best choices to fit with his rationale and resources.

I admire him for being a pioneer and staying with it. As one who left the industry, there are times I envy his stickability!

- Kenneth

Members who have read this thread: 0