Scenery assist needed. Attn: UT

Thread: Scenery assist needed. Attn: UT

Scenery assist needed. Attn: UT

As most of you know, I've been working on a revamp of my "USS Saratoga CV-3" campaign. I've run into a snag.

At about the mid-way point of the campaign I've come to Nauru Island. All the other bases and scenery used fit nicely into or were created for Rhumbaflappy's mesh and coastlines except for Nauru. (See The screenshot.) The airstrip and half the facilities, as you can see, are under water - very high tides.

UT, If you can, I'd like for you to include this island on your "to do list" of bases and coastlines. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give with this.

If I cannot find a solution to this, I will have to omit 3 (an F6F, an SBD and a TBF) missions from my total of 63. If there is a Rhumba compatible version of Nauru in the library, please point it out.

Shadow Wolf 07
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nauru rhumba.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Additional info

The same scenery characteristics apply to Engebi and Wotje islands, my next in sequence targets. While waiting for or finding solutions, I'll just move on to the raids in the Indian Ocean/DEI with HMS Illustrious.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    The same scenery characteristics apply to Engebi and Wotje islands, my next in sequence targets. While waiting for or finding solutions, I'll just move on to the raids in the Indian Ocean/DEI with HMS Illustrious.
    Shadow Wolf,

My son was doing some missions there also,Early Carrier Raids, and has the mesh also installed.He hasn't had any problems with it.He doesn't use the coastlines though.

Hiede

Here's Wotje

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wotje.jpg  

Here's Engebi

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engebi.jpg  

Nauru & Ocean - was done June 2020

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...id=45&id=26827

from the readme

"Notes: I only provided an airbase for Nauru Island, as I was unable to find any reference to any air facility on Ocean Island (now called Banaba Island) at all. I think MS may have made this one up. I have included an exclude just to get rid of the stock airbase reference.

Banaba Island had to be re-positioned to match the mesh. This moved the GSL into a different gob area, & since Martin Wright didn't provide an easy way of making the original gsl gob completely empty, I had to create a fake gsl for this gob area containing a single object. As this area is entirely ocean, Stuart 277's lifeboat came to the rescue (LOL). Using his GMax files for his upturned 27' Lifeboat as a starting point, I removed the survivors in the water & re-positioned it slightly to look like a long-abandoned, overturned lifeboat. I saved this as a scenery .bgl so it won't impact on your Ships total. Apart from a bit of work I did creating the .bgl, this is all Stuart 277's work."

Marshall Islands - was done June 2020

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...id=45&id=26826

Thank you UncleTgt! I'm getting old and can't find things as easily any more. I will install these asap and see what is what.

I knew, when I created this thread that you would know of or create a solution. Thanks again!

Cheers:

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs2 2023-10-30 14-32-35-72.jpg   cfs2 2023-10-30 14-44-14-14.jpg   cfs2 2023-10-30 14-44-46-29.jpg  
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; October 30th, 2023 at 10:50. Reason: added screenshots
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Here is an AFD BGL so you can get to John's lovely rendition of Ocean/Banaba Island.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I thank you too, Kevin.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Engebi lookin good! Thank you UT!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs2 2023-10-31 00-55-21-50.jpg   cfs2 2023-10-31 00-55-53-60.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Greg, I forgot to include the NDB in case you're flying there. Ocean Island is now in its correct geographical location, so the old NDB had to be moved to dry land.
    Cheers,
    Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks again, Kevin!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I am currently stumped on attacks on Saban (Sumatra) and Surebaya (Java). The problem is my terrain/mesh - land and sea.

For all the missions of the USS Saratoga campaign I have been using Rhumbaflappy's PTO "world" with no problems. I have the above 2 locations - Saban with an airbase - using XavierB's eawwii_full_scenery_2006, but it is based on the stock scenery mesh and looks terrible.

Has anyone done these areas in Rhumba mesh that I don't know of and can't find? Should I try to fit them into MR's DEI scenery? My pain meds are kicking in right now and I am a bit foggy.

I expect to run into the same issues for my last few missions over Japan later, but I don't need to have any airbases for those.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Hi Greg,

Devildog, Rami, UncleTgt and I overhauled Sumatra for Devildog's Operation Meridian missions.

That scenery is in Skylane's Air War over Malaya and the East Indies campaign dated November 2017.

The scenery installation guide is quite detailed. We found the best scenery combination was stock water masks with Rhumba's mesh and earlier water files.

If you have any problems, please email me. I'm glad to hear you're recovering.

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!

I downloaded it and will work with it as soon as I finish lunch. I will keep you posted on my results...

Greg

PS:

It is not a perfect fit but better, much better at Sabang. Taking look at Surebaya, I found most of the port facilities are still on dry land. But then, Surebaya is on Java, not Sumatra.

I'll come back to both of these later and do some "mud moving." I'll go on to other missions first...
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; November 17th, 2023 at 11:56.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Onno Gras did Java and Borneo in 2010 - they're in the CFS2 Scenery section. Surabaya is included. He also did a number of the Sumatra airfields in Skylane's mission package but they weren't uploaded until we overhauled Sumatra.

Smile

Thank you, Kevin. I'll look that up. I don't need anything in Sumatra though, except for Sabang.

Shadow
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Kdriver note:

From somewhere, I already had Surebaya. My previous versions of these missions were rich in infrastructure and a few ships. Unfortunately they were placed on a stock background, whereas this version utilizes Rhumba mesh and coastlines, leaving me with some features on dry land and others at sea.

Like I said above, I have some moving to do and the coastlines lack the beautiful texturing of UT's SI and PNG scenery. I can still make it work though.

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Hi Greg,

Here are shots of Sabang and Surabaya. Stock water masks, Rhumba mesh and his old water files are active, e.g. CFS2 Africa-SAsia Water. The infrastructure is placed correctly.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sabang.jpg   Surabaya.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0