RAF Hornchurch FS9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Hornchurch FS9

RAF Hornchurch FS9

I was'nt intending to do this but Huub kindly gave me a preview of his AH Spit repaints, which put me in the mood for this BoB airfield. its rather quick and dirty and a bit on the simple side, but i enjoyed making it. I use Gary Burns Spit Ai, which is in Hawkinge markings and the fighter pens are the wrong type but those are small details, check read-me for objects although you should have them all by now, hope you enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails h1.jpg   h2.jpg   h3.jpg  

Thanks Ian, I'm happy to see my tactics worked .

It also answers one of the questions I had. "Which Mk.Ia Spitfire will I do next?" Although I'm not sure which one, but it will be a Sptifire from 41 Squadron which was based at RAF Hornchurch during the Battle of Britain as well.

And in the correct period as I will now do two, post 11 August 1940 repaints, with roundels at the bottom of the wings.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    I was'nt intending to do this but Huub kindly gave me a preview of his AH Spit repaints, which put me in the mood for this BoB airfield. its rather quick and dirty and a bit on the simple side, but i enjoyed making it. I use Gary Burns Spit Ai, which is in Hawkinge markings and the fighter pens are the wrong type but those are small details, check read-me for objects although you should have them all by now, hope you enjoy
    Nice one Ian.

You'd have thought that out of all the B of B fighter stations,Hornchurch would have been one that was saved really.

RAF Hornchurch FS9

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Scenery

Description: BoB sector airfield 15 miles east of London, see readme for details

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit RAF Hornchurch FS9
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Thanks Ian, close to home!

M,
    Considering it was also an important WWI airfield (against the Zeppelin and Gotha raids) as Suttons Farms. It went quite early being outer London, building land was needed, it soon became housing, and a school. Several of the roads in the area are named after the airfield, and there is a small country park there with remnants of the airfield dotted about. The best BofB that's left is Hendon, Manston and Biggin Hill Museums.

Thanks also Huub for the beautiful re-paints, and the right sheen on the model, looks very good!

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Thanks Ian, close to home!

M,
    Considering it was also an important WWI airfield (against the Zeppelin and Gotha raids) as Suttons Farms. It went quite early being outer London, building land was needed, it soon became housing, and a school. Several of the roads in the area are named after the airfield, and there is a small country park there with remnants of the airfield dotted about. The best BofB that's left is Hendon, Manston and Biggin Hill Museums.

Thanks also Huub for the beautiful re-paints, and the right sheen on the model, looks very good!

Cheers

Shessi
    Trouble is; since Gordon Brown and Tony Bliar designated airfields as potential development sites to be sold off no-one is interested in preserving them either as active airfields or as social record so people can see how we lived and worked on those bases 40 years ago.
    Just see what they are doing with Scampton.

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Trouble is; since Gordon Brown and Tony Bliar designated airfields as potential development sites to be sold off no-one is interested in preserving them either as active airfields or as social record so people can see how we lived and worked on those bases 40 years ago.
    Just see what they are doing with Scampton.

ttfn

Pete
    Pete,

This is common practice and you see this in the Netherlands as well. The airfields I have served are all gone. Ypenburg airfield has been converted in a brand new village belonging to The Hague. NAS Valkenburg is currently being converted into a an area where people can live and Soesterberg Air base is converted into a preserved nature area, and houses the National Military Museum.

The reason can easily be understood. In the Netherlands we have a population of 17.5 million people and we are short of at least 500,000 houses to provide these people a place to live. Personally I think a place to live is more important than to preserve an airfield. These abandoned airfields were already owned by the state and therefore by selling them to the developers, the state can make the money to invest in the required infrastructure.

Here you see the museums which are there to preserve history all have a hard time to survive. And those who are able to survive are the ones where entertainment is more important than history.....

Sad, but I realise I have arrive at an age, which I use to consider the typical age where men became grumpy

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks guys Quite into BoB airfields at the moment. Ive got a bee in my bonnet (old UK saying) about Croydon, and there's a lot of good quality info online. Needs quite a few custom objects but i think i can handle it, Who no what will appear in a few weeks/months time

If you feel you need more BoB airfields, do a search for Gary Burns(Gary 20) in the library, i use his Hawkinge, although almost 12 years old, works pretty well out of the box, i thought i would need to update it, but i decided i didnt need too.

PS like your screen shot Huub, never been keen on GW, but your screen looks really nice.

Just beautifully done Ian! Love it right down to the NAFI truck. Combined with Hubs new MkI skins it's just great to fly from.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Icon4

What! not keen on GW!!!

I've never been so discombobulated......is there any other period to fly in?!!! (answers on a postcard to....)...

Cheers

Shessi

Ian, thanks for adding this further historical airfield. I always enjoy very much to complete the rather poor FS9 WWII world.
    I really appreciate your constant efforts. And that shouldn't be be said just by a few and everytime same members.
    Sadly we could see the same laxisme on every site.

Bernard

Library Staff
    Thanks guys Quite into BoB airfields at the moment. Ive got a bee in my bonnet (old UK saying) about Croydon, and there's a lot of good quality info online. Needs quite a few custom objects but i think i can handle it, Who no what will appear in a few weeks/months time

If you feel you need more BoB airfields, do a search for Gary Burns(Gary 20) in the library, i use his Hawkinge, although almost 12 years old, works pretty well out of the box, i thought i would need to update it, but i decided i didnt need too.

PS like your screen shot Huub, never been keen on GW, but your screen looks really nice.
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for the beautiful and historically accurate renditions of RAF WW2 airfields, and thanks Huub for your lovely Spitfire liveries to go with Ian's work.

I've been very slowly converting Clive (Pat Pattle) Morley's Airfield Construction Corps objects from CFS3 to CFS2 destructible GSL objects. Clive has made some custom objects for Kenley and Gravesend if you ever decide to do those airfields.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ACC_Hangar_Gravesend_Barn.jpg   ACC_Hangar_Gravesend.jpg   ACC_Control_Tower_Gravesend.jpg   ACC_Hangar_Kenley.jpg  

That's a nice offer Kevin! I hope somebody more skilled than I will pick it up!

I currently have
    Barrie Larke's version of Gravesend installed. Which is quite simple and really shows its age.~But still better than nothing. However a new a bit more sophisticated version of 1930s Gravesend would really be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Huub

Im keen on Gravesend myself, i'll put it in the Q, but i'll check out Barrie's version first, it might just need a bit of surgery. but i'd definitely be interested in the object's when your done Kevin, ive just fired up FSSC to make custom objects for Croydon, if i get anywhere with them, ill swap with you

PS, dont suppose i could have a link to your version of Gravesend Huub, dos'nt seem to be on the new Flightsim any more

Ooh, I might be interested in Kenley's hangars with attached towerTtfnPete

At Avsim.com

Filename: grvsend_273672.zip
    License: Freeware
    Added: 11th May 2010, 01:57:48
    Downloads: 620
    Author: Barrie Larke
    Size: 1295kb

Rohan was a bit faster than me, but here is the link to the Flightsim.com version : https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...esend-airport/

Cheers,
    Huub

The snooker/pool table must have been invented in Gravesend. And you will see that it is most probably better to paint windows than to model them...... But in 2006 it was definitely great scenery!

To be fair, its not that bad, but i try'd to lose the ground poly, but it seems embedded in the the Gravesend scenery bgl, and there's no way to shift it. Then i wonder'd if i could Alpha the texture, but there "r8" and im not sure how they work, and there'd be flashing and ghosting with 2 polys on top of each other. Its a small and easy airfield to do,with plenty of info out there , so i'll wait until Kevin make's his objects available and make it from scratch

Library Staff
    Hi Chaps,

Barrie Larke's buildings look quite accurate. Here is Pen32Win's background bitmap for Gravesend found in the CFS2 Scenery section. I converted it from DXT BMP to JPG so it could be uploaded here. The original is in his 2TAF airfield package. No airfield infrastructure was included in the packages.

If you send me your email addresses via PM I'll send you the BGL and Gmax files for the Kenley hangar/tower and Gravesend buildings. There are camouflage textures as well for Gravesend .

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2TAF_Gravesend_norm.jpg   2TAF_Gravesend_alpha.jpg  

Is anyone interested?

For those who didn't notice it, I did a No. 54 Squadron repaint for the AI Spitfire by Gary Burns to go with Ian's Hornchurch. It is an early livery with "White & Night" under surfaces.

Cheers,
    Huub

I'll defiantly take one i did wonder if you'd fall into my trap

Huub,
    Of course I am interested – it’s a Spitfire. More than that, it’s for an AI model and repaints for those are very few and far between, especially for Gary’s model, although I have just found Gary’s FS9 sceneries with AI for Croydon, Hawkinge and Biggin Hill – all in 1940 – over at Flightsim.com.

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...=getNewComment

Ro

Edit - and of course it is only now that I discover that Gary's 1940 sceneries are also available here . . .

Thanks to Ian for the scenery and Huub for the repaints. Greatly appreciated and fantastic work.

I'll defiantly take one i did wonder if you'd fall into my trap
    No Ian, they are Spitfires not Defiants.

Put me down for an order Huub.
    Andy

Members who have read this thread: 0