Advice needed

Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

I posted the following on Ickie's forum and probably should have posted it here:

Ok, here's the situation. I was planning to buy a new system this Fall. Although my current setup runs ok, my 1080ti GPU and I78700k CPU struggles at times when I am in MSFS.

My question is, if I buy a RTX4070 (current price I found is $599), would I see a dramatic improvement? If the improvement is good enough, then I will hold off buying a whole new setup.

I welcome your thoughts? NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I posted the following on Ickie's forum and probably should have posted it here:

Ok, here's the situation. I was planning to buy a new system this Fall. Although my current setup runs ok, my 1080ti GPU and I78700k CPU struggles at times when I am in MSFS.

My question is, if I buy a RTX4070 (current price I found is $599), would I see a dramatic improvement? If the improvement is good enough, then I will hold off buying a whole new setup.

Hi , i think you will stay with it as an backup , and get a new totally one , it a bit too old to upgrade ~

HB

You would be better off getting a new rig. Check out Newegg for complete systems. A pretty decent rig can be had for under $2000.00 and you'd be ready for FS2024 when it comes out next year.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    You would be better off getting a new rig. Check out Newegg for complete systems. A pretty decent rig can be had for under $2000.00 and you'd be ready for FS2024 when it comes out next year.
    Thanks. My plan has been, and still is, to wait for sales this Fall, and then buy. Already told my wife when she inquires about the cost, that she really does NOT want to know🤣

Overbuild it to handle 2024 now, and aim for the upper end of their requirements or even past it. Build for tomorrow, not today.

Don

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post

If you go with a RTX 4070, you will be CPU limited and be unable to fully use the GPU.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    If you go with a RTX 4070, you will be CPU limited and be unable to fully use the GPU.
    That appears to be the overall consensus, so nope, not getting it! Thx.

Yeah, the sweet spot for smooth-running MSFS is an i7-13700K and 4070Ti, if that doesn't break the budget. That lets you run maxxed out in any scenery area, and with DLSS on it's silky smooth even over Manhattan.

I built a small form factor PC with those specs for about $2k total, with 64GB of RAM and m.2 SSD storage.

I got a 4070 and a 5800X3D in my ITX Simbox. The GPU itself is pretty awesome, the same output as a 3080 with almost half the power consumption (same with the X3D CPUs when using the PC for simming only).
    But MSFS is still CPU limited even with the X3D CPU. GPU wise my machine would run even the Pico 4 pretty smooth if the CPU was up to the task, but I still got some stutters on my 1440p screen and in VR with the Pico 4. Still better than with any non X3D CPU, though.

I'm building a new rig almost identical to Cazzie's new one. (Storage SSD only difference, 4TB Crucial 4.9 NVME M.2.) Just over $2,000 (so far )
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

I am ordering a prebuilt system soon, making sure the CPU will be more than enough to handle a 4090 card. In the meantime, I ordered this last night:

https://www.displayninja.com/msi-meg-342c-review/

Whatever you get, highly recommend an Nvidia 4000 series card. While AMD cards have good performance, DLSS 3.0 is a huge game changer for MSFS with the frame-doubling capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Whatever you get, highly recommend an Nvidia 4000 series card. While AMD cards have good performance, DLSS 3.0 is a huge game changer for MSFS with the frame-doubling capabilities.

It will most definitely be a Nvidia 4090.

Quote Originally Posted by phr34k86 View Post
    I got a 4070 and a 5800X3D in my ITX Simbox. The GPU itself is pretty awesome, the same output as a 3080 with almost half the power consumption (same with the X3D CPUs when using the PC for simming only).
    But MSFS is still CPU limited even with the X3D CPU. GPU wise my machine would run even the Pico 4 pretty smooth if the CPU was up to the task, but I still got some stutters on my 1440p screen and in VR with the Pico 4. Still better than with any non X3D CPU, though.
    I just upgraded my 5800X3D CPU with a 7800X3D still using my 3080 GPU and love it as everything is now much smoother. But even with the 7800X3D, the sim is still CPU limited when using utilities like FSLTL or AIG.

I use 2K (3440x1440) and the 3080 can still handle it well. If not intending to use 4K, I see not much point in spending a fortune for a 4090 card and would go with a 4070 or 4070ti instead as phr34k86 suggested.

Members who have read this thread: 0