Seperate install for every new campaign???

Thread: Seperate install for every new campaign???

Seperate install for every new campaign???

Sorry Dirtman, I'm going to disappoint you. But remember, there's no stupid questions, just stupid answers! Pressures on everyone! .....Anyway, is that right? Since the CFSs Pacific Theatre version only has one campaign (strangely the manual says multiple campaigns) I would like to add more. Some of the RAAF ones, Darwin / Port Moresby / Milne Bay. SIngapore/Malaysia come to mind. ...But reading through the installation for one of those says I need a new complete installation of CFS2. * shock horror emoji * < written since i cant select any emoji's. ...So I've listed 4-5 campaigns, so I need 4-5 new installs??? * whoa that is crazy emoji * * seriously? emoji *

Library Staff
    Hi Ruddman,

The Pacific Theatre does present problems with campaigns and missions because of all the improvements to the scenery over the years.

For a single installation, I suggest first installing all of UncleTgt's scenery followed by Maskrider's scenery in areas which are not covered by UncleTgt's work. After this any other scenery you need not already covered by these two authors.

Similarly, install campaigns chronologically working backwards. The newer campaigns incorporate the newer scenery.

You do have the option of separate installs for the scenery in use, e.g. stock, Rhumbaflappy mesh and water masks, UncleTgt rebuilds.

I have a single install with all the scenery improvements over the years in separate layers which can be activated or deactivated via the Scenery Library after starting the sim to suit the campaign I want to fly - complicated, I know.

Good luck with it but don't hesitate to ask if you find yourself in the jungle instead of on the runway threshold.

Cheers,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Hi Ruddman,The Pacific Theatre does present problems with campaigns and missions because of all the improvements to the scenery over the years.For a single installation, I suggest first installing all of UncleTgt's scenery followed by Maskrider's scenery in areas which are not covered by UncleTgt's work. After this any other scenery you need not already covered by these two authors.Similarly, install campaigns chronologically working backwards. The newer campaigns incorporate the newer scenery.You do have the option of separate installs for the scenery in use, e.g. stock, Rhumbaflappy mesh and water masks, UncleTgt rebuilds.I have a single install with all the scenery improvements over the years in separate layers which can be activated or deactivated via the Scenery Library after starting the sim to suit the campaign I want to fly - complicated, I know.Good luck with it but don't hesitate to ask if you find yourself in the jungle instead of on the runway threshold.Cheers,Kevin
    OMG, what a complicated mess CFS is. * painful emoji * I'm used to the ease of FS2004.

Look at the Campaign downloads section.

For the PTO, start with Capt Kurt's 87 Days campaign it's an autoinstall & will set you up with the basic Solomons area.

Shadow Wolf's recent campaigns are also configured as autoinstalls, so it quickly gets you up & running with objects, scenery, airbases, ships & aircraft to allow you to run the missions.

Lightbulb A man needs to know his limitations...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruddman View Post
    Sorry Dirtman, I'm going to disappoint you. But remember, there's no stupid questions, just stupid answers!
    Good question Jon, I'm not disappointed.

You need to understand WHY we need multiple installs ... it's mainly because CFS2 has some limitations.
    Basically it's 2 main reasons:

First is the 100 plane limit. Don't be fooled ... it always turns out to be less.
    One campaign might have 40 a/c
    For example: Midway would have 3 types of friendly a/c with 3 different skins. Japanese would have 3-4 a/c types with 3-4 different skins.
    3 Wildcats with 3 different skins = 3 different planes
    So 1-2 campaigns could easily reach the a/c limit.

Exceed the limit? CTD 4 U ... which then leads to a rookie question.

Another limit is the OBJECTS DP folder. Being a former FS'er you would not have seen this before.
    DP stands for "Damage Profile". In simple terms it's how CFS2 can make objects BLOW UP REAL GOOD!
    This means there is a limit on objects.

Hopefully this provides you a better perspective.

And YES, working with CFS2 is more difficult than FS because CFS2 is for MEN .... FS is for little girls & tourists.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avatar_5033.gif 
Views:	64 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	91877
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PEBKAC.jpg  
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Icon4 also:

Forgot to mention yesterday: ... I might be getting old?

There is also a limit on ships.

To get around the a/c & ships limitation, you can use a "hangar/dock" to store the extra units for different theatres.

Called the: "CFS2 - Aircraft and Mission Utility V2.0" ( Mk_cfs2_util_v2.zip )

Also has the ability to check the planes & ships in any installed mission and allow easy substitution of missing or incorrect units.

Personally I don't use the "hangar" because it just seems to complicate things.
    BUT the "mission checker" is an essential tool.

BTW: there are TWO stock CFS2 campaigns: US & Japan.
    I guess you have missed the latter.

FYI: I have 11 installs: PTO (x5), ETO (x2), Med, Korea, Vietnam & a "test" sim.
    I keep and run them all on a 4TB external HDD - no problem.

I hope this answers your question.
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

My son has 14 installs.8 of these are installs made by Talon.As for the ship limit they all have over 200 ships.

Hiede

Quote Originally Posted by Hiede View Post
    My son has 14 installs.8 of these are installs made by Talon.As for the ship limit they all have over 200 ships.

Hiede
    I created a backup using the PTO LOD instructions, the same for the ETO and MTO.

There I always install the campaign that I want to play.

Currently I have BOB CFS 2, ETO BOB CFS 2, Battle of France, battle of balkan, 87 days, a test version for the overhaul of Pearl and a normal Pacific campaign created.

Most of my campaigns recommend a clean separate install as a base because I have no way of knowing what else a player might have in their install that would conflict or cause problems with my campaign. I commonly include custom airfields, custom campaign specific aircraft (skins, .dps, flight files) etc., etc. that are both needed and liable to conflict with, or overwrite, other campaign loads, terrain, etc.. That can ruin the previously installed campaign(s) or mine, or both. Separate campaign loads are simple and easy so why invite problems, eh? Especially since the whole things can be put on thumb drives and used only when wanted.

As a PS, I am currently rewriting the "Marine Fighting Squadron VMF-121" campaign with new planes, ships etc. to be compatible with the "87Days" campaign load using UncleTgt's Solomons scenery. But not unfortunately with the addition of Rhumba's mesh because of airbase location conflicts in the Micronesia area.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

I know all the Solomons 43 Campaigns done by Talon have been converted to the new Solomons scenery done by UT,but only 1 has been uploaded.The USMC Aces and USMC Bomber squadron 42 has also been converted to the UT scenery and have been uploaded.

There are 3 installs of Solomons scenery,Cactus,Solomons 43 early and late.

Hiede
    Last edited by Hiede; October 8th, 2023 at 15:16.

I guess I thought it would be a lot easier after looking at the menu. I assumed you could add a campaign, then select it in the pulldown list in the menu. A assumed wrong. I guess Fs2000 wasnt that capable back in the day.

I see MS didn't make it as useable like that as I thought!

Separate campaign loads are simple and easy
    Not sure about that! One campaign I was looking at installing requires the removal of 14 files and then the downloading and installation of 195 files!

That one may need to be put on the backburner.

I did find one with an auto installer. 'Royal Australian Air Force'. Based in PNG. Still required mesh files which I haven't done yet. Works ok. Misplaced take off start location for missions out of Port Moresby but that aside, seems ok despite flying some wonky old aircraft FDE's from that long ago.

Members who have read this thread: 1