Stink Bugs

Thread: Stink Bugs

Stink Bugs

Having issues here with the stink bugs, again.

Last few months have been stink bug free but lately they started to come out and like to hang out on my windows and screens. I try the dawn dish soap with water solution in a spray bottle
    and that sometimes chases them away or they just fall to the ground. Any one else out there have this issue and what do use to get rid of them. Don't step on them cause they stink.
    I live near soybean fields and I suspect that may be what attracts them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_...ated_stink_bug

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Having issues here with the stink bugs, again.

Last few months have been stink bug free but lately they started to come out and like to hang out on my windows and screens. I try the dawn dish soap with water solution in a spray bottle
    and that sometimes chases them away or they just fall to the ground. Any one else out there have this issue and what do use to get rid of them. Don't step on them cause they stink.
    I live near soybean fields and I suspect that may be what attracts them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_...ated_stink_bug
    Never saw any during the time I was stationed at RatCenterMucus (NATTC Millington, Tenn) for electronics trainning! Was there from August '68 through March '69.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

By 2009, this agricultural pest had reached Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, and Oregon] In 2010 it was found in Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, and other states.

The brown marmorated stink bug was accidentally introduced into the United States from China or Japan. It is believed to have hitched a ride as a stowaway in packing crates or on various types of machinery. The first documented specimen was collected in Allentown, Pennsylvania, in September 1998.

I started noticing them ~2009. Before that time I did not see a one and I got here in fall 1981. They love the bean fields here.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Never saw any during the time I was stationed at RatCenterMucus (NATTC Millington, Tenn) for electronics trainning! Was there from August '68 through March '69.

They are an invasive species in parts of Canada too and likely migrated from affected parts of the USA. I saw one the other day on my cedar fence post/gate and made sure to keep our young puppy away from it. She's still at the stage where everything has to go into her mouth to be investigated and I don't need her chewing on a stink bug. She's already tried slugs, earth worms and cicadas and didn't enjoy them very much!
    Larry

Believe it or not, since a few years we have these little critters in Germany, too.

Whenever the temperature is right they emerge and try too enter the place by clinging to the fly screens and sometimes even find a way in. I keep collecting them with a glass from the outside and throw them off my balcony, but they simply return. They are even that clever when they see me coming they escape from the fly screens in a dive and hide in small cracks in the ground watching me rage.

BTW. there´s one sitting on the screen right now, maliciously eyeing on me in front of the rig. Will get the glass now...
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

What you need to do is fill a spray bottle with a little bit of dish washing liquid and some water to make a soapy solution and spray the little bugger and they will usually drop to the ground. Another
    trick is to take a small water bottle, cut the top section a few inches from the top, turn the top section up side down, and place it in the open top of the bottom,
    Look at the video to see how to make a stink bug collector. I don't use any lights or tape, Just secure the top with a couple of paper binder clips.

The soda bottle trap also works on yellow jackets, which are a species of ground dwelling (but they will nest inside of walls) wasp with a nasty attitude. Same bottle technique, but no light, just food bait in the bottle.

Here is in central Virginia, the brown marmorated stink bugs have been a pest for years. I don't seem to have a big problem with them getting into the house, usually find just a few inside every fall and winter. Ladybugs are a different story, usually find plenty of them in the winter, normally they are found on the floors, dead.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0