A couple of monitor questions...

Thread: A couple of monitor questions...

A couple of monitor questions...

First off, I just want to confirm the consensus here of using display port over HDMI for desktop to a computer monitor? Everything I read indicates so. Secondly, is anyone using an OLED monitor yet? I have a 32" Dell S3220DGF (1440p, 1800r curve, 16:9 ratio) that's fine, but I've always felt that it's somewhat underwhelming for MSFS (running on an RTX 3070). Even after tweaking to the best of my ability, the colors are still somewhat muted and the black level is certainly lacking. I was thinking about upgrading to one of the newer and larger 1440p OLED monitors - perhaps as big as the LG Ultragear 45" 21:9 ultrawide (on sale at BestBuy for $1,299). The downside to it is that it's "only" 1440p (vs. 2160p 4k), and the extreme 800r curvature. However, in looking at it at my local BestBuy, you really kind of melt into the screen - it's quite stunning. I've been watching numerous review videos about larger screen OLEDs and the pros/cons of 1440p vs. true 2160p 4k (dpi vs. framerate issues). I've rearranged my desk where I could squeeze in the 45" LG Ultragear - it would be tight but doable. Anyway, any feedback is welcome...
    Cheers,
    Dave

I was in the Best Buy here in Pensacola about two hours ago, looking at monitors as well. I was surprised to find out that they don't even have a Samsung G9 on display (which I am considering), or even a desktop PC that has a Nvidia 4090 gpu. All the above, of course, are online, but I found it odd the store doesn't actually carry them.

I am just now beginning to look at the specs of what I want to get. I am not going to attempt building one. I did that years ago, but I don't have the patience now, and would rather pay for a prebuilt. NC

Forget 21:9.

The sweet spot for MSFS is 32:9 ratio. I have the QLED version of this monitor and with the Tobii eye tracker, it's so immersive I only do VR about 40% of the time.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6544291

And yeah, Displayport gives you the most bandwidth for high-resolution/deep color. Though the newest HDMI standards/cables also do fine.

I am thinking that I will end up buying the Samsung G8. I don't have room for the G9..…. NC

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Forget 21:9.

The sweet spot for MSFS is 32:9 ratio. I have the QLED version of this monitor and with the Tobii eye tracker, it's so immersive I only do VR about 40% of the time.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6544291

And yeah, Displayport gives you the most bandwidth for high-resolution/deep color. Though the newest HDMI standards/cables also do fine.
    WOW - that thing is a beast. How's the dpi clarity at 1440p with it?
    Cheers,
    Dave

Charter Member 2011
    I picked up a curved LG which runs 3840 x 1600 which is a sweet performance spot for my 3080 at MSFS Ultra settings.
    It's a game changer.
    DP is a step along too, you can daisy-chain monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    WOW - that thing is a beast. How's the dpi clarity at 1440p with it?
    I don't have the OLED, mine is a two-year-old QLED version. But the 1440p resolution at that vertical height is great. I have a 32-inch 4K monitor on my work-supplied computer and the text/gaming clarity on both feels comparable.

A quick update for those following. I ended up connecting my system to our 65" Sony OLED, running MSFS2020 at 2160p (4K) - I honesty didn't expect it to run very good. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised. It was running at 60 FPS with the new Bronco, the default C172, and the Robin DR400. I know they're not very demanding on system resources, but I just wanted to see how things would run. I switched back and forth between 1440p and 2160p and the difference is quite incredible. However, I'll admit it's easy to see the difference on a 65" screen. I only did some flying around Kauai, but might try again over more demanding scenery areas with more demanding aircraft later on. I just wanted to see how things would work, and maybe justify my desire to get the LG 45" ultragear 1440p OLED. Well, I think I'll have to wait until a similar OLED monitor is available in full 4K, as I don't want to spend money now only to regret it later. I know my old RTX 3070 won't be able to handle flying over NYC in the latest greatest full glass cockpits, but I typically don't do that type of simming.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Bad weather will tax your system more than most planes, so find yourself some nice stormy weather and spawn there.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Bad weather will tax your system more than most planes, so find yourself some nice stormy weather and spawn there.
    Yes - good idea Tom. I did end up trying the TV out again over the really nice payware Northern Sky Studios PHOG, as well as the nice freeware KSJC scenery using the default glass cockpit Baron with the same results. There just doesn't seem to be a hit switching from 1440p to 2160p, at least on my Sony OLED.
    I'm out of town until Sat morning, so I'll check out the weather issue when I get back.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 1