Why did they call it "The Jug"

Thread: Why did they call it "The Jug"

Why did they call it "The Jug"

If you've ever wondered why the P-47 was nicknamed "the Jug" here's a little something that popped up on my FB to help explain it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jug comparison.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	91779

Icon5

Well is it...as in JUG-gernaut or because standing up on it's engine, it looks like a milk jug??...ha ha

Cheers

Shesi

I heard that pilots used to say "If you want to impress the ladies, fly a Mustang, if you wan to get home alive, fly a Jug".

Everything I've read said it was because it was shaped like the glass jugs that milk was sold in back then.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Cpt. Kurt gets a Cigar,
    Code:
    "As the P-47 Thunderbolt worked up to operational status, it gained a nickname: "Jug" 
    (because its profile was similar to that of a common milk jug of the time)."

'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons.
    - Gen. Douglas MacArthur -

Hey, where's mine?...I did say it first...

S

p.s still think it's because of it's size, that it's a JUG-gernaut of a plane!

That's what I always thought, that it was because of it's size. I guess the milk jug reference could actually be the real reason. Either way, the size comparison chart is quite interesting.

Members who have read this thread: 0