The new rig is up and running. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The new rig is up and running.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm anxiously waiting for the new crop of QD-OLED monitors. I almost purchased the LG UltraGear 45" OLED from BestBuy when it was on sale, but all the reviews of it criticized that it was only 1440p on such a large display and the dpi wasn't very good. We'll see what the new year holds...
    Maybe try the display port cable when you get the new 4090. Everything I read indicates it's the better option vs. HDMI.
    I just purchased a VIZIO 65-Inch P-Series 4K QLED HDR Smart TV. I am running it at 1440 rather than 4K. The image is amazing. I bought it because my old 54" Sony Bravo was slowly "literally" fading.

Since most of my flying is done under the VR hood, I don’t get to see it in action while flying. However, I have been playing Starfield for the past few weeks and it really shines with Starfield.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I seem to be having nothing but trouble with mine. The system itself is working fine, great, in fact. I think my problems are connected to WIN 11, but also to the lack of legacy USB 1.8/2.0 outputs on the new system. None of my Saitek FIP instrument panels work. The switch and radio panels work, just not the instrtuments. They all worked on my old setup. I have 4 different controllers, Saitek X52, X56, Cessna Yoke & Throttle, and the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo Yoke & Throttles. None of them will operate the quick view cameras, nor the smart camera, as well as the zooms. ALL the buttons lite up in the controler options page of the sim, but not in the aircraft. After searching the web, there were many reports of these issues, all suposedly fixed by installing a PCIe USB 2.0 card. I found one on Amazon and installed it. Windows shows it in device manager, but no joy. It lites up the LEDs in the hubs, but nothing else.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I seem to be having nothing but trouble with mine. The system itself is working fine, great, in fact. I think my problems are connected to WIN 11, but also to the lack of legacy USB 1.8/2.0 outputs on the new system. None of my Saitek FIP instrument panels work. The switch and radio panels work, just not the instrtuments. They all worked on my old setup. I have 4 different controllers, Saitek X52, X56, Cessna Yoke & Throttle, and the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo Yoke & Throttles. None of them will operate the quick view cameras, nor the smart camera, as well as the zooms. ALL the buttons lite up in the controler options page of the sim, but not in the aircraft. After searching the web, there were many reports of these issues, all suposedly fixed by installing a PCIe USB 2.0 card. I found one on Amazon and installed it. Windows shows it in device manager, but no joy. It lites up the LEDs in the hubs, but nothing else.
    A few weeks ago, following a Win 11 update, my Saitek controllers simply quit working. I exhausted all efforts, trying to restore functionality, and finally gave up. I but the bullet and bought a Warthog setup. Expensive of course, but I decided I was worth it, along with a new PC which arrives next Monday. One guess as to what I will be doing that day, once it arrives? I will probably sit on our porch, waiting for the UPS truck to arrive🤣

Hope yours works better. The sim stuff, that is. My periferrals are what's making me pull my hair out.

Oh, and if you have American Truck Simulator, I just found out when I transfered it, you will need over 1TB of storage for it, with all the DLCs. I have not plugged in my controls for it, yet. They are all modern Logitek units that use the Logitek G Hub program.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Hope yours works better. The sim stuff, that is. My periferrals are what's making me pull my hair out.

Oh, and if you have American Truck Simulator, I just found out when I transfered it, you will need over 1TB of storage for it, with all the DLCs. I have not plugged in my controls for it, yet. They are all modern Logitek units that use the Logitek G Hub program.
    Of all the things that COULD go wrong, running out of storage won't be one of them. I have 16TB
    Last edited by Navy Chief; November 9th, 2023 at 15:34.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    16 TB of memory..... meaning RAM?

I know that has to be a typo

- Don

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    16 TB of memory..... meaning RAM?

I know that has to be a typo

- Don
    The system will have 64gb of RAM, and comes with one 4TB M. 2. NVME SSD. I have two more 4TB M. 2. NVME SSDs, along with two 2TB NVME SSDs to install in the system. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    The system will have 64gb of RAM, and comes with one 4TB M. 2. NVME SSD. I have two more 4TB M. 2. NVME SSDs, along with two 2TB NVME SSDs to install in the system. NC
    I still have 1 more NVME slot on the mothergoard, plus a 4 slot PCIe card I will remove from my old unit. There are also 4 SSD moumts in the back of the case, which I will be filling with SSDs from my old unit. That does not include the removeable 2bay 3.5inch HDD tray, for which I have the converter trays to install 2each SSD per tray. I have upwards of 30TB total storage when my external drives are included. Not super fast ones, by today's standards, but they are only used for storage. I only noticed the size of ATS because I transfered my files from the old unit to the new one, after creating 2 equal partions on the 4TB NVME, and even though compressed, ATS took up almost 900GB! That's why I am so upset that MS shut off the Home Network program. I even recieved a notice just recently that Western Digital and Samsung are discontinueing their Home Cloud/My Cloud support in order to comply with WIN 11 protocalls! I can't even join my own home cloud system which has over 15TB of storage! I have to use my older notebook or my old tower to download anything from them, save to externals in order to transfer to my wife's new notebook (NOT an HP this time!!!) or this new rig.

As I said, this new one is working great, EXCEPT when trying to use over $1000 worth of periferals that were not built in the last 2 years!
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

I still have 1 more NVME slot on the mothergoard, plus a 4 slot PCIe card I will remove from my old unit. There are also 4 SSD moumts in the back of the case, which I will be filling with SSDs from my old unit. That does not include the removeable 2bay 3.5inch HDD tray, for which I have the converter trays to install 2each SSD per tray. I have upwards of 30TB total storage when my external drives are included. Not super fast ones, by today's standards, but they are only used for storage. I only noticed the size of ATS because I transfered my files from the old unit to the new one, after creating 2 equal partions on the 4TB NVME, and even though compressed, ATS took up almost 900GB! That's why I am so upset that MS shut off the Home Network program. I even recieved a notice just recently that Western Digital and Samsung are discontinueing their Home Cloud/My Cloud support in order to comply with WIN 11 protocalls! I can't even join my own home cloud system which has over 15TB of storage! I have to use my older notebook or my old tower to download anything from them, save to externals in order to transfer to my wife's new notebook (NOT an HP this time!!!) or this new rig.

As I said, this new one is working great, EXCEPT when trying to use over $1000 worth of periferals that were not built in the last 2 years!
    I have a Western Digital MyCloud Ultra and recently updated its firmware to OS5, and according to what I read, the support will still continue, at least in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I have a Western Digital MyCloud Ultra and recently updated its firmware to OS5, and according to what I read, the support will still continue, at least in my case.

I've been pulling what little hair I have left out by the roots. Not with hardware problems, the rig itself works fantastic. It's all software. Finally found the required software to get the Saitek instruments working, but they won't connect consistently. Same goes for my controllers. NONE of them will operate the smart camera, although it works in the profile setup, on all controllers. Nor does the zoom, ,among other camera items, to many to remember. It does not matter what aircraft I load.

Then, there are the WIN 11 updates. The last one took away my mail, my photo viewer, the MS Store, and my .exe for MSFS!!!! I've spent 4 days getting those back! Then, the latest AMD Accelerator update caused my comp to reboot evey 90 seconds!!Took me a few hours to find out why,(a kernel error,) and then get to the delete the software to occur between reboots. I don't have 3 hours of actual flying time since this thing has been up and running. However, when the sim is working, it is beautiful! I really wish I wouls have stayed with WIN 10. But to scare everyone who hasn't heard, I read something this morning, that WIN 12 may be coming early in 2024. But first they have to fix the things I am having trouble with, and more, because everything I am having trouble with is being reported by large numbers of people on the help boards. To be honest, I do NOT look forward to it.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Lightbulb

I've been pulling what little hair I have left out by the roots. Not with hardware problems, the rig itself works fantastic. It's all software. Finally found the required software to get the Saitek instruments working, but they won't connect consistently. Same goes for my controllers. NONE of them will operate the smart camera, although it works in the profile setup, on all controllers. Nor does the zoom, ,among other camera items, to many to remember. It does not matter what aircraft I load.

Then, there are the WIN 11 updates. The last one took away my mail, my photo viewer, the MS Store, and my .exe for MSFS!!!! I've spent 4 days getting those back! Then, the latest AMD Accelerator update caused my comp to reboot evey 90 seconds!!Took me a few hours to find out why,(a kernel error,) and then get to the delete the software to occur between reboots. I don't have 3 hours of actual flying time since this thing has been up and running. However, when the sim is working, it is beautiful! I really wish I wouls have stayed with WIN 10. But to scare everyone who hasn't heard, I read something this morning, that WIN 12 may be coming early in 2024. But first they have to fix the things I am having trouble with, and more, because everything I am having trouble with is being reported by large numbers of people on the help boards. To be honest, I do NOT look forward to it.

Next time you Install/Reinstall MSFS , do it to an own Partition or Disk just for MSFS , it should help against what you experience i think .

( you can do it now , using the MSFS own MOVE function , just make a Partition and move it , first do a folder for it in the new partition and then point to that ....)

HB

Quote Originally Posted by Brytskiva View Post
    Next time you Install/Reinstall MSFS , do it to an own Partition or Disk just for MSFS , it should help against what you experience i think .

( you can do it now , using the MSFS own MOVE function , just make a Partition and move it , first do a folder for it in the new partition and then point to that ....)

HB
    That's how it was done before this last Windows update. I had made a short load of the sim to check out the Top Gun 1980's Miramar scenery. Everything worked fine. I exited the sim normally, did some other stuff, and left the computer on when retiring for the night. In the morning, a notification popped up saying the computer needed to restart to fiunish updating, so I allowed it. That's when all the trouble started. The Win 11update was from Build 23H1 to 23H2. Yhat's when all my programs disapeared, and most of my .exes also disappeared. That's also when Windows update said I had an update for AMD Accelerator, which was just updated from the AMD website 2 days before, and was working fine.
    I installed a new, high speed NVMe 4TB stick, and downloaded the sim to it. Everything working, so far. Have not tested cameras, yet, as my desktop space temporarily littered with another project.

If you haven't used the sim's built in "move" software, watch out. It uses a huge naming system duplicating the original, deep folder system ADDED ON TO the original folder name, making it very close to the 256 character limit, and causing a lot of add-ons not to work, because of the long folder names in the add-on. Also, the original folder remains, and "most" of the files are junction linked to the original file/folders.

Speaking of junction links, has anyone noticed that the "Junction Magic" program, which worked great in Win10, does not work in Win11? You now have to be a coder to use these links, including with the updated "Junction Magic" program! I am not! As I said, there are handfulls of my quickly thinning hair all around my chair.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

That's how it was done before this last Windows update. I had made a short load of the sim to check out the Top Gun 1980's Miramar scenery. Everything worked fine. I exited the sim normally, did some other stuff, and left the computer on when retiring for the night. In the morning, a notification popped up saying the computer needed to restart to fiunish updating, so I allowed it. That's when all the trouble started. The Win 11update was from Build 23H1 to 23H2. Yhat's when all my programs disapeared, and most of my .exes also disappeared. That's also when Windows update said I had an update for AMD Accelerator, which was just updated from the AMD website 2 days before, and was working fine.
    I installed a new, high speed NVMe 4TB stick, and downloaded the sim to it. Everything working, so far. Have not tested cameras, yet, as my desktop space temporarily littered with another project.

If you haven't used the sim's built in "move" software, watch out. It uses a huge naming system duplicating the original, deep folder system ADDED ON TO the original folder name, making it very close to the 256 character limit, and causing a lot of add-ons not to work, because of the long folder names in the add-on. Also, the original folder remains, and "most" of the files are junction linked to the original file/folders.

Speaking of junction links, has anyone noticed that the "Junction Magic" program, which worked great in Win10, does not work in Win11? You now have to be a coder to use these links, including with the updated "Junction Magic" program! I am not! As I said, there are handfulls of my quickly thinning hair all around my chair.

Yes it´s Strange , i have that " too long names and pathways" but i learned to live with it , and fiddle with the files so they fit ~ ( i´m aware of that MOVE technology )

)

I've been watching this thread leading up to me switching out the original pair of 1TB SSDs on my Falcon system, to a couple of new 2TB SSDs. It ended up being a full non-stop 48hrs of a fresh W11 install, W11 updates, non-flightsim software, and finally the MSFS marathon install, MSMP updates & purchases, and finishing up with all the non-MSMP purchases. Finished up about 8PM last night.

It's been at least 3 years since the last time I formatted or performed a clean-house system maintenance, which made for a few moments of anxiety given all that's changed with the OS & hardware since back then.

Happy to be back up and flying today. :-)

Forest

To modelr,
    Why is your ATS so large? I have ATS with all the updates & DLC except a few of the holiday paints and mine is only showing "17.53 GB on disk".

Quote Originally Posted by FAC257 View Post
    I've been watching this thread leading up to me switching out the original pair of 1TB SSDs on my Falcon system, to a couple of new 2TB SSDs. It ended up being a full non-stop 48hrs of a fresh W11 install, W11 updates, non-flightsim software, and finally the MSFS marathon install, MSMP updates & purchases, and finishing up with all the non-MSMP purchases. Finished up about 8PM last night.

It's been at least 3 years since the last time I formatted or performed a clean-house system maintenance, which made for a few moments of anxiety given all that's changed with the OS & hardware since back then.

Happy to be back up and flying today. :-)

Forest

To modelr,
    Why is your ATS so large? I have ATS with all the updates & DLC except a few of the holiday paints and mine is only showing "17.53 GB on disk".
    Forest, I haven't gone in and really looked at the files in my ATS collection to see why solarge. I think it may be because of a change in compression systems during the transfer. It was not nearly so large on the previous disk and computer. Also, I am a compulsive collector, so I have almost all the add-ons from the workshop.

I just went and loaded the ATS sim, for the first time on this new rig, and none of my mods are showing! So, looks like I'm going to be busy reinstalling them, also. Oh well.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

I didn't think about stuff from the Workshop adding up like that. I've looked but haven't used anything from there yet.

Forest

Members who have read this thread: 1