Now in the final development stage

Thread: Now in the final development stage

Coming shortly, the F4F-3 and the F4F-4 Wildcats. Almost done, The cockpit equipment differences are all that's left to model and texture. Hopefully these will have a better reception than the FM-1 had, but we'll see. The FM-1 wasn't that famous.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dash 3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	91732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dash 4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	91733
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

+1, with knobs on ...

The lack of interaction, for a new aircraft model, that got almost 100 downloads in its first week after release, really does speak volumes.

I fear for the future of this CFS 2 Forum

These Wildcats look awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    The lack of interaction, for a new aircraft model, that got almost 100 downloads in its first week after release, really does speak volumes.
    Like it has been stated a few months ago, you need to register to be able to download files at SOH. This gives you a basic "New Member" status, which does not allow you to post messages on the forum. To be able to do so, you need to be granted the "Members +" status by a site admin after you contacted them by private message.

If you look at the member list, you will see there are 50,420 registered members, of which only 2,326 (less than 5%) are "active members" (aka "Members +" or higher). This means you should only get an average 5 comments per 100 downloads, since the other 95 dowloaders are not allowed to post thankful messages on the forum.

Roxane-21

You interpretation seems a little simplistic. Maybe the Afmins can comment?

Of your interpretation is correct, I offer 2 comments:

First, if all it takes is a PM to Admin to get forum posting permission, then 95% of the membership really are lazy, just here to take & not give anything back ...

Second, nobody likes working in a vacuum ...

It seems like anything new will be destined to be commented on by a smaller & smaller group of members+, until there's no-one left to pass comment at all - that's really sad

Captain Kurt

My son is looking forward to them.

He had been working on Talon's old campaigns,Carrier War USN and Coral Sea.Both will have new ships,planes and missions.

Hiede

Well, that is quite a Wildcat festival ^^ With them we can have all the main variants of the Wildcats, really nice, thank you Captain Kurt, they are looking really nice as always.

Roxane-21

You interpretation seems a little simplistic. Maybe the Afmins can comment?

Of your interpretation is correct, I offer 2 comments:

First, if all it takes is a PM to Admin to get forum posting permission, then 95% of the membership really are lazy, just here to take & not give anything back ...

Second, nobody likes working in a vacuum ...

It seems like anything new will be destined to be commented on by a smaller & smaller group of members+, until there's no-one left to pass comment at all - that's really sad
    I agree with you UT,I've been saying the same thing for awhile.Seems Roxane-21 always has the same thing to say about the non posters.At least they can do is say thank you.At one time you had to make a post to even get the benefits of SOH.

There was 1 member that's been here 15 years,he made 2 posts and both were complaints about downloads.

I say thank you for things and appreciate the hard work people put in to keeping this sim alive.

What will people do when no more scenery,planes,ships and repaints are done?

Hiede

Icon5

Thanks for your explanation Roxy.

I take it this system is in place to stop bots signing up, and then possibly spamming us later?

Three possible ideas...
    Allow all new members to have full members privilliges, allowing them to post without jumping over another hurdle, and take a low risk on bots?

Allow new members to sign up, but only allow them to download after they have posted a certain number of times, even once?

Allow new members to sign up, but have a period of time delay before they can download?

Sorry to detract from the post about your great Wildcats CK.

And UT, I refuse to comment on your comment...so there!

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Thanks for your explanation Roxy.

I take it this system is in place to stop bots signing up, and then possibly spamming us later?

Three possible ideas...
    Allow all new members to have full members privilliges, allowing them to post without jumping over another hurdle, and take a low risk on bots?

Allow new members to sign up, but only allow them to download after they have posted a certain number of times, even once?

Allow new members to sign up, but have a period of time delay before they can download?

Sorry to detract from the post about your great Wildcats CK.

And UT, I refuse to comment on your comment...so there!

Cheers

Shessi
    Mark, these are all good suggestions

Of course, I don't see it as a big hurdle for someone to PM sit Admin (a one-time deal), Confirming their wish to post in the forums.

It speaks to whether SOH sees itself as a repository of CFS 2 mods, or a "safe space" for discussion & interaction.

I've posted before about my own experience of interaction & collaboration with fellow SOH members has stimulated my own creativity & helped me to learn new skills. I fear that currently the CFS 2 Forum is not a place that it once was, with the danger that the stimulation declines & dies.

And we know what happens after any "Creatives" leave for pastures new ...

John,
    You're absolutely right, in that it takes so little to carry on the 'full' SOH experience, and it's not much to ask in return.

Also, don't forget there are a lot of the world who are not English speaking, and so may not have the confidence to PM or post.

And what!...people leaving....never...you'll have to 'fly' me out in a wooden box.

Cheers

Shessi

Sorry for not replying sooner to this, and a few other threads. It is not a lack of appreciation,at the moment I´m just occupied with real-life things.

The FM-1 is a super nice airplane, and I´m looking forward to the new Wildcats. I´ll probably have to modify my IJN campaigns to use them instead of the FDG models..

Me too Skylane. I must admit that I am not a mission builder and certainly not a painter. I have helped in the past from time to time with some mission testing for some of the guys and helped with some questions occaisionaly. Even found some errors in the missions and helped correct them.
    Life this last few months has not let me do much here-- even fly! I have several sceneries I want to install but---!
    I do appreciate all the beautiful a/c, ships, scenery etc. Details are mindboggling. Not sure how I could use it all.
    I cut my teeth on MS CFS 1- this is a far, far cry from that. Tried CFS 3, but too complicated, I thought. So here I am.

+1, with knobs on ...

I fear for the future of this CFS 2 Forum
    ---------------------------
    Yeah, for various reasons (mostly rheumatoid arthritis) I don't post much anymore BUT I am having a heyday with the wildcats. I fly them in FS2004 with great results and just a tweak or two to the [fltsim.x] section. I'm really looking forward to the next round. These I'm still surprised someone can get results this fantastic for a 20 year old app.

All this being said, if I worked as hard to create these planes and got no positive feedback I'd be irked too. And yes, I understand it was Uncletgt replying on behalf of the major (I just gave Kurt a field promotion...) but we all can take a hit for the team on this.

Thank You Again...
    Bill

People are becoming more lazy, that's a fact indeed. I am not innocent as well, because I often don't take the time to comment all the great stuff that I download. Unfortunately time is not what I have the most. I had to put a hold on my will to paint skins and make missions for no other reason than a lack of free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    IIRC, SOH worked that way years ago, but there were so many users posting only one message on the forum like "Hi, this is my only message just to say I am not a bot!".

That's a fact concerning and seen in ALL, I repeate ALL, flight sim sites. Pity but reality.

Betnard

I would have responded sooner, but recovering from a concussion, so takes me a bit to get interested in anything. But thanks !

Members who have read this thread: 1