Mount Cook livery for Jahn DC-3/C-47 Please - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mount Cook livery for Jahn DC-3/C-47 Please

As The Genie Said

Your wish is my command...when everything goes together and it's a joy to create it doesn't take a lot of time. I also learned a new technique in Photoshop working on this. Thanks to the C-47 team for a beautiful paint kit to work with. That made it really nice as well. Here is the Mount Cook Southern Lakes Airlines Ltd. C-47 image at Christchurch (default FSX) and the texture:https://www.mediafire.com/file/ufo22...tcook.zip/file Please let me know how it works here. I did not include a readme trusting you know how to add the texture and update your aircraft.cfg

Last edited by tgycgijoes; September 12th, 2023 at 11:43.

That's lovely, thank you so much for doing that livery.
    Mark

Ps. I just noticed that the mountain lily on the tail is a little too high and needs to be adjusted a bit lower as per the photos. If you don't mind that would be awesome, but if you want to leave it, that's fine too.

Also for for your information, but not absolutely critical, there were words "Mount Cook Lily" underneath the lily on the tail. The're hard to see in the photos, but if you squint a little bit closer you can just make out a line of words curving underneath it. Probably would be a bit too small to do on the repaint, but its up to you. Love the repaint. Thanks
    Mark

I would love to see a screenshot of the wings, please

Great job, Thanks!

Yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Ps. I just noticed that the mountain lily on the tail is a little too high and needs to be adjusted a bit lower as per the photos. If you don't mind that would be awesome, but if you want to leave it, that's fine too.

Also for for your information, but not absolutely critical, there were words "Mount Cook Lily" underneath the lily on the tail. The're hard to see in the photos, but if you squint a little bit closer you can just make out a line of words curving underneath it. Probably would be a bit too small to do on the repaint, but its up to you. Love the repaint. Thanks
    Thank you for your observations. I saw that there was something but every clip of the lily logo did not have the words and by the time you enlarge the available photos, it blurred into nothingness so I just left it. I possibly could add them manually but I think that by the time the 4096 textures are reduced to 1024 so as not to be a "frame hog" for a lot of people, you couldn't read them. I'll take a look and count the mesh and see where the lily is in Photoshop and compare because sometimes you have to arbitrarily make adjustments. I have had to do that many times with other repaints I have done. It's right in Photoshop and different in FSX OR P3D too. I appreciate and ask for comments always.

Updates

After reading the comments, thank you all, I went to the "Paint Shed" this past couple of hours and updated the texture. The lily is smaller and repositioned; the "Mount Cook Lily" is below as it is in real life and the photo; I lightened up the color of the tail which had to be done arbitrarily because of the natural metal being dark underneath and also removed the alpha channel which was "messing" with the texture. I may try and put in one only on the natural metal but that will take some time to do not just a DXTBMP one click fix. Also, the FSDeveloper who was helping me with alpha channels gave me a tip. Finally learned how to curve the type to fit under the lily with a really good Youtube video and thankfully worked with my old version of Photoshop. Here is a screen shot and also the updated C-47_T_2.dds to copy and paste into your texture folder.

I am going to upload a new C-47_T_2.dds in just a bit so give me a little while because I forgot, being an American repainter that the registration is on the top right and bottom left wings respectively so I have to add that and give you a new link and then I think this will be done.

Here is the new link to the updated wings and all the other changes above:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yug75...7_2_T.dds/file

Tgycgijoes,

Thank you very very very much for your kindness in painting that livery. It is much appreciated!!! Much appreciated and very grateful!!

With great many thanks,

Aharon

Tgycgijoes,

Since you asked us to see if your repaint works in FSX, I just let you know that the installation of your repaint containing your revised file into Jahn DC-3/C-47 model base worked well and the ground testing of your repaint was successful.

Everything looks great to me but I am afraid there are New Zealand natives being SOH forum members who might have sharper eyes than I do and they will probably give you better tips or points even though your repaint looks GREAT to me even before your revision file that you posted.

Once again, many thanks for your kindness. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Aharon

Looks great in P3DV5.4

Prepar3D V4.5 and V5.4

These are the textures I designed with PBR exclusively for these sims. Looking good!

SOH-CM-2020
    Many many thanks tgycgijoes for this amazing livery

Here she is in her natural environment, departing Mount Cook air strip (NZMC) and over flying Mount Cook summit (12316' )

FSX:SE with ORBX NZ South Island

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    After reading the comments, thank you all, I went to the "Paint Shed" this past couple of hours and updated the texture....
    Very nice..!!

That looks awesome, thank you for going the extra mile, well done! I am pleased that you learned some new techniques as well! No hurry, but when you have time, at some point in the future maybe you'll be able to make a new alpha channel for the bare metal to make it shine. Thanks so much again for doing the livery.
    Mark

My Pleasure

I am glad that you all will have a chance to enjoy it. All the credit goes to Him who gave me the talent to create it. I don't claim any of the glory. Amen.

Today In The Paint Shed

I spent today completing the set of Mount Cook Liveries. This was created from the photo taken in 1971.

And here is the link to the texture: https://www.mediafire.com/file/s6vq1...ook71.zip/file

Taken at 60J in Ocean Isle North Carolina USA. Great pizza and burgers at the red building in the background created from actual photos taken onsite. You can sit on the patio in the back and watch the planes take off and land which is really a lot of fun.

Before you "beat me up" about the Mount Cook Lily on the tail of ZK-BEU which is larger and covers more of the tail in the photo on page 1, LOL!!! I used a different photo I found with it like this just like it was on the light blue earlier liveries. Sometime after 1971 and before 1978 they must have done another livery change. I added the emergency exit marks that were not on the earlier livery either. When you study the photos you pick up on subtle things like that.

That looks great! Just a little note, the blue should cover the entire tail right down to the fuselage. I don't know if you'd noticed before, but I have just now, by comparing the photos to the repaint. And the white should cover the whole tail end just above the rear of the tail elevators, you can see by again comparing the photos with the repaint. Just spotted these 2 things just now. Not bashing, far from it, I would never do that, but just wanted to help you out, as Aharon says "I am afraid the New Zealanders have sharper eyesight" lol.
    Otherwise it looks great!
    Ps. another little note, the larger Lily on the tail on the later vivid blue livery had an extra word added.... "The Mount Cook Lily"
    Thanks for doing a great repaint.
    Mark

No Offense Taken And Certainly No Bashing

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    That looks great! Just a little note, the blue should cover the entire tail right down to the fuselage. I don't know if you'd noticed before, but I have just now, by comparing the photos to the repaint. And the white should cover the whole tail end just above the rear of the tail elevators, you can see by again comparing the photos with the repaint. Just spotted these 2 things just now. Not bashing, far from it, I would never do that, but just wanted to help you out, as Aharon says "I am afraid the New Zealanders have sharper eyesight" lol.
    Otherwise it looks great!
    Ps. another little note, the larger Lily on the tail on the later vivid blue livery had an extra word added.... "The Mount Cook Lily"
    Thanks for doing a great repaint.
    I take note and you are indeed correct so I have just finished (before turning in) fixing both repaints to better approximate the true liveries:
    When I created uniforms for 12 inch military action figures 15 years ago (seems ages ago) my partner and I had a motto he coined: "We do it right or we don't do it!" and I try and carry it over to here in his memory (he was a Marine Desert Storm vet who died from exposure over there and a first responder at 9-11 -- they are just now becoming very aware of) here are the two fixes:

Original light blue livery: https://www.mediafire.com/file/vukg8...early.zip/file

New darker blue livery: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0sa98...T-new.zip/file

replace your files with the appropriate one and enjoy flying.

Thank you very very very much for nice surprise of extra bonus repaints of the same airline for DC-3 It is much appreciated in most grateful manner.

Regards,

Aharon

here are the two fixes:

Original light blue livery: https://www.mediafire.com/file/vukg8...early.zip/file

New darker blue livery: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0sa98...T-new.zip/file

replace your files with the appropriate one and enjoy flying.
    Am I correct that those 2 files containing fixes are for the Mount Cook livery circa 1971?

Regards,

Aharon

Incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Am I correct that those 2 files containing fixes are for the Mount Cook livery circa 1971?

Regards,

Aharon
    The folders are labeled as early or light blue the first livery and darker blue which is the 1971 Mount Cook Airlines livery. Two different downloads. Mrogers pointed out correctly that the tail needed to be painted to almost the elevator.

The folders are labeled as early or light blue the first livery and darker blue which is the 1971 Mount Cook Airlines livery. Two different downloads. Mrogers pointed out correctly that the tail needed to be painted to almost the elevator.
    Thanks I figured it out before your answer when I opened the two files and saw the different colors which made me realize that they have to be matched to the specific colors of the two different liveries.

Also just to let you know that the two liveries with two respective latest revised files work well in my FSX during ground testing. Thank you very much for your kindness for not only painting the two liveries but also for revised files to enhance realism of the liveries.

Quick question to New Zealand experts named Mrogers and PeteHam: are the two liveries supposed to come with plain propellers OR yellow tipped propellers OR red tipped propellers?

Pssst pssst, Tgycgijoes Do not worry about propellers. Whatever the answer I get from Mrogers and PeteHam, I have many propeller textures with different colors on propeller blades to pick and export to your two superb liveries.

Regards,

Aharon

SOH-CM-2020
    The prop tips are yellow.

Pete.

I've located a candidate yellow tip C-47 prop (dds) and copied it to the mt cook texture but it didn't change. So what is the secret to make it happen?

Members who have read this thread: 1