Bataan Lockheed constellation repaint

Thread: Bataan Lockheed constellation repaint

Bataan Lockheed constellation repaint

Is someone able to kindly do this livery on Manfred jahns l-749 please?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Unti...nDLt%2BxdBMjIN

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Unti...nDLt%2BxdBMjIN
    Alex

Brisbane, Australia

One of the issues (for me) is that though not terribly involved to do the textures, the restoration took some liberties with the blue "zapper" - outlined with red, which the original did not have. Also I have yet to see any top down views of the wings. These 121s had a wide range of wing walks and other items.

The nose art will take some creativity as well.

Anyway I may take a whack at it but it will take some time.

Might these help?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 960x0.jpg  

The issue for me is, I want to paint the original, not this pseudo restoration - the paint scheme is a lot different

Thanks for potentially taking this on mike.
    Alex

Brisbane, Australia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-121A BATAAN repaint WIP.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	91681

I am trying to represent the original BATAAN as best I can interpret from photos of it in the boneyard, etc. I still don't get how to make my photos bigger, but my gracefully degrading brain is a little fuzzy from watching football all day yesterday.

It was actually stripped, then supposedly repainted as original at some point, but I have yet to find any B&W or color photos of the original. I can only interpret some things, including how shiny it may have been.

The 5-star logo behind the exit and the nose art were somewhat a P.I.T.A, but-

This is essentially the Manfred Jahn L-769 turbo stack C-121A model for FSX / P3D, but I moved windows around to match what photos I have. Different window arrangements don't surprise me at all, especially since this was the first C-121A converted to a VC-121A according to records.

I need some minor work arounds, especially the alpha / albedo texture of my repositioned windows.

More to follow - criticism welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C-121A BATAAN repaint WIP.jpg  

Name:	BATAAN - photos.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	91684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VC-121A BATAAN repaint WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	91683

About done, I guess.

The photo panel shows an old news article regarding 8613 in use by Gen MacArthur, and the "boneyard" recovered version in flight before current repaint seen at Oshkosh. Note the old photo does not seem to have the Bataan emblem yet, and a US flag on the tailfins. There is no 5-star insignia aft of the rear entry door.

Perhaps the the current owners removed the flags and replaced with the Texas logo?

The photo was taken only 3 or 4 months after the beginning of the Korean War, so 8613 was likely "gussied up" a little later asMacArthur's duties became more complex and required extensive travel. An article states that he himself named the plane. Perhaps his in 1951 replacement, Gen Ridgeway , had it spit shined, or maybe it was always somewhat mid-toned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BATAAN - photos.jpg  

Nice work Mike

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks for that mike, looks nice. Will you be doing the resto one as well or just the original?
    Alex

Brisbane, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by anels9 View Post
    Thanks for that mike, looks nice. Will you be doing the resto one as well or just the original?
    I am working on it.

This is the Planes of Fame "BATAAN" restoration repaint - requested previously.

It was flown / on display at Oshkosh recently.

This is in work; some accuracy is questionable because most documentation is based on film clips with their inherent glare and perspective angles.

In my opinion they made some weird decisions on painting the cheat line, wherein it intercepts some window frames, covers others. Oh, well.

Anyway, getting there.

Name:	VC-121A Oskosh BATAAN.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	334.7 KB 
ID:	91692

Mike, both paint jobs look great. I often end up downloading a plane just because somebody's done a really nice repaint for it. This time it'll be Manfred's C-121.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Mike, both paint jobs look great. I often end up downloading a plane just because somebody's done a really nice repaint for it. This time it'll be Manfred's C-121.
    Thanks; I uploaded both packages late yesterday, should show up soon.

I made a few improvements here and there, mostly location of markings and the alphas.

Which skin category can I find them in mike?
    Alex

Brisbane, Australia

Members who have read this thread: 1