Tobii Eye Tracker 5 20% off currently

Thread: Tobii Eye Tracker 5 20% off currently

Tobii Eye Tracker 5 20% off currently

Been debating picking one of these up and saw they are having an anniversary sale for 20% off. Thought I would pass along in case anyone else has been thinking about it.https://gaming.tobii.com/product/eye-tracker-5/

I give my vote to Tobii. Works out of the box with MSFS and quite easily also in DCS. I do not yet have VR to compare but I have definitely stored the TrackIR for good.

Best argument I saw in a forum: "We don't have to look like dorks if we want to use head tracking tech anymore!"

Highly, highly recommended. I have the Tobii and a Reverb G2, and while i love the VR headset, I spend a lot more time flying with the Tobii. 700% less hassle and better precision (with my setup and lighting, at least) than TrackIR 5.

I love the Tobii Eye Tracker. Much more convenient than Track IR.

Wow, I'm really tempted. I have been eyeing (ha) this unit. What is holding me back is that I am a total loss to see how it is significantly better than Track IR. I get that you don't have to wear a baseball cap, but $220 is a lot to pay to not have to put a cap on. The idea that someone willing to wear a VR headset has a problem with looking like a dork is just funny. And the eye tracking seems to me likely to make the experience worse rather than better, so I'd probably turn that off. Well, I guess I have until September 8 to try to talk myself into it.

August

Charter Member 2011
    Totally agree.
    However the TrackIR I find is sensitive to ambient light and my flightsim rig gets reflected afternoon sun from the 10:00 o'clock position.
    This does loopy things with the POV.
    What are the limitations of the Tobii?

I understand that device is quite popular, efficient, and more convenient than a TrackIR because you don't need to wear anything.
    But man, what a price ! It's much more expensive than I expected, even with these 20% off with the current sales... Feels a bit too expensive simply for headtracking while still having to keep your eyes on the screen and still watching a 2D picture :/

Yeah. I have the same ambient light issue as Wing_Z, but since I got a VR set last November I solve it by playing VR whenever there is enough sun glare to confuse the tracker. Usually would be uncomfortable sitting and looking at the screen under those conditions anyway.

One thing Tobii has going for it is that it is a relatively new technology, and not something that essentially ceased being developed 10+ years ago like TrackIR. Tobii has been more successful in convincing AAA non-sim game publishers to implement support in recent installments of series such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Hitman, Dying Light, etc. I'm a bit intrigued by this because I used to play those types of games more, until I decided that flight sims and the occasional driving sim are more fun than all other games. However, most of the reviews I am seeing are saying that Tobii is not very good with those non-sim games, and it is certainly not capturing much of the player base. So, in time, I imagine that support will dry up, and Tobii will remain a niche product for sim games, like TrackIR. It seems to show that players of those mainstream games, even though they value "immersion" as much as we do, don't find head tracking (or VR for that matter) to be necessary for it.

Tobii's price point doesn't bother me that much and I feel like it would be the way to go for someone who is new to any sort of tracking, but can't see it as a worthwhile upgrade from TrackIR.

August

No issues whatsoever with light and reflections and much more stable than TrackIR. Default settings in MSFS worked for me so I have not touched anything. I also tried eye tracking for a while. It was interesting as one could turn the head one direction and turn the eyes the other way to check something, e.g. quick glimpse at the instruments while looking outside, or the same during a tight dogfight in DCS. A bit too shaky so I ended up disabling it but saw some potential with more tweaking of sensitivity. Regarding sims, it is does not currently support the Il-2 series but could be used used in those too with Facetrack and Freetrack apps, although that breaks MSFS compatibility. Hoping to have official support for those soon.

One issue I had was power supply. I ended up connecting it to a powered USB hub and solved that. Tobii support was extremely efficient and helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 1