Virtavia F7F-3 TIGERCAT released
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtavia F7F-3 TIGERCAT released

First reviews put it at mediocre quality...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...eleased/606338
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

In Phil's defense here, I spoke to him on release of the Sterling Bomber and he told me Virtavia is a one man show now. I think the model looks pretty good but my chief concern would be the flight model and sounds. We can easily graft in a good sound pack but I have zero idea how to properly tune a flight model in this sim. Certainly it can be done and improved and make the model superb which it is reasonably priced.

Are there any flight dynamics guys out there that do freeware work anymore?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    First reviews put it at mediocre quality...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...eleased/606338
    There are only two reviews, though, and that's an audience that loves to focus on finding fault.

I bought it and will check it out after work today and post some impressions. I'd rather have a $20 Virtavia-built Tigercat that's not up to Flying Iron detail in 2023 than to hope that Flying Iron gets around to a one-year-of-development $30 Tigercat by 2028.

Really, really hoping Jankees picks it up!

Posted my own impressions over on the official forums. For $20, I'm quite happy with it. The model looks great, it overall feels good flight model wise (except the turn radius feels way too wide, as mentioned). It only has one issue that I really hope to see patched, the audio shifts to an idling sound when you throttle back that's not realistic for a plane in the air. (Sent a note to Phil on that one...)

Anyway, it's a step up from Virtavia's P3D models, the price is right, and it looks great and with some flight model tweaks, an audio fix, and some nice repaints it'll be even better. If you go in with Virtavia experience instead of expecting everything to MATCH or surpass Flying Iron/A2A/PMDG despite lower prices and more variety of offerings...

I'll definitely be getting it. That's what I like about Virtavia, and liked about Alphasim, they modeled the planes that most people weren't going to make. With the exception of Rob.

Hoping our talented repainters over here will go over her. I like the model, but the textures aren't "wow".

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Posted my own impressions over on the official forums. For $20, I'm quite happy with it. The model looks great, it overall feels good flight model wise (except the turn radius feels way too wide, as mentioned). It only has one issue that I really hope to see patched, the audio shifts to an idling sound when you throttle back that's not realistic for a plane in the air. (Sent a note to Phil on that one...)

Anyway, it's a step up from Virtavia's P3D models, the price is right, and it looks great and with some flight model tweaks, an audio fix, and some nice repaints it'll be even better. If you go in with Virtavia experience instead of expecting everything to MATCH or surpass Flying Iron/A2A/PMDG despite lower prices and more variety of offerings...

Hi,

Good shots
    What kind of airport is shown in the bottom picture?

Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by ZsoltB View Post
    Hi,

Good shots

Zsolt
    That looks like Sitka up in Alaska, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZsoltB View Post
    Hi,

Good shots

Zsolt
    Thanks!

That's Sitka, AK (PASI)

(Good eye, Sundog!)

Screenshot (1850) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1842) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (1845) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

still very much work in progress...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Now that looks very nice already!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Wow! That's quite a giant pilot flying that little kitty ! ( the other way around of what usually is the case with pilot figures.. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Wow! That's quite a giant pilot flying that little kitty ! ( the other way around of what usually is the case with pilot figures.. ;-)
    Yeah, if I had one gripe about the model, that would be it. Either the pilot is too big or the plane is too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Yeah, if I had one gripe about the model, that would be it. Either the pilot is too big or the plane is too small.
    Yes, considering it's Virtavia we might assume that it's the default airforce pilot figure we see here. That would mean that the model's scale is a tad too small. (assuming that the default pilot figure cannot be scaled up or down). With FSX/P3D that would be fixed in a jiffy, not sure about that with an MSFS model....

IMHO the too big pilot figure makes the plane look a bit like a 3/4 scale model. This exceptional beautiful Grumman cat looked very sleek but certainly not particularly small.

Not really one of the smallest pilots stepping inside the office of F7F-3P "Here Kitty, Kitty" showing there's lots of room underneath the canopy while the Virtavia pilot seems to occupy almost all space inside the cockpit :https://youtu.be/Sm7dOl2-XMU?si=Jc3Y_i6LlfGFJ2mx

The sound of the RW Tigercat is a real treat ! Will this Virtavia kitty purr just as nicely too ? I do like the external model and the VC too (more or less anyway). Maybe the most beautiful cat Grumman ever made ??...

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Yes, considering it's Virtavia we might assume that it's the default airforce pilot figure we see here. That would mean that the model's scale is a tad too small. (assuming that the default pilot figure cannot be scaled up or down). With FSX/P3D that would be fixed in a jiffy, not sure about that with an MSFS model.... IMHO the too big pilot figure makes the plane look a bit like a 3/4 scale model. This exceptional beautiful Grumman cat looked very sleek but certainly not particularly small. Not really one of the smallest pilots stepping inside the office of F7F-3P "Here Kitty, Kitty" showing there's lots of room underneath the canopy while the Virtavia pilot seems to occupy almost all space inside the cockpit :https://youtu.be/Sm7dOl2-XMU?si=Jc3Y_i6LlfGFJ2mx The sound of the RW Tigercat is a real treat ! Will this Virtavia kitty purr just as nicely too ? I do like the external model and the VC too (more or less anyway). Maybe the most beautiful cat Grumman ever made ??...
    When it comes to the piston engine era, yeah, this is easily the best looking Cat.

I agree with the pilot being too big/plane too small. Plane Sailing's F7F displayed at Duxford for a number of years in the 1990s, and it was a big beast. Though the Short Stirling really wasn't up to snuff IMO, I’m glad Virtavia is back. I hope one day their Avro Lincoln returns ( with corrected H2S radome, please ).

It looks like a Port over from FSX to me ~

Maybe it is not the greatest of models, but I'm quite happy to have a F7F in my sim.
    F7F 003 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

F7F 004 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

F7F 009 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Same here JanKees! And your repaints look lovely as usual!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

bk (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

bk (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

bk (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Amazing, thank you Jan Kees! I think I have to pick this one up now.

Members who have read this thread: 6