Helicopter and prop blur

Thread: Helicopter and prop blur

Helicopter and prop blur

Is there a line I can add to the aircraft cfg that can give realistic operation for the rotor blue for either helis or prop aircraft?
    Alex

Brisbane, Australia

The prop and rotor blurs are in the texture folders. Nothing in the aircraft.cfg applies to them.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I think I have what you're looking for.

You need to add the following to each [aircraft.X] line in the aircraft.cfg file:

title=Abacus FD5 C-2A Greyhound
    sim=AB_FD5_C-2A_Greyhound
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=GRF
    prop_anim_ratio=2.43174
    checklists=Greyhound_Check
    atc_id=
    atc_airline=NAVY
    atc_flight_number=22

The number you use depends mostly on your computer and video settings.
    The whole number part is used to control how active you want the prop blur to look (ie, 2, 3, 4, etc.).
    The decimal part keeps the prop blur from STROBING as much at certain RPM settings.

Just make sure you add the "prop_anim_ratio=" line to each separate aircraft in the .cfg file and I always add it just below each "texture=" line.
    It works for most MDL files, prop or helos. Also, make sure you make the edits ONLY using Notepad.

Icon5

Folks,
    It's a combo of some, but not all of these things, and one other possibility.

Alex, are you talking about the visual appearance of the prop blur ie if the dark graphic areas slowly/quickly rotates as the prop spins, or the darkness of the spinning sections of the blur, or the overall clarity of the whole spinning disc?

Z, with some models the prop blur is also affected by the clarity of the prop blur material itself, and not just the texture (but most of the time you're right that it's the texture).

S, The prop ani ratio setting will affect the visual of the slow spinning cruise speed prop graphic and ac speed, but it will also affect the speed of your ac. If you make the ratio higher the ac will fly faster (and slower and the ac flys slower). If you want to have a faster visual of the prop spinning you can adjust it by 0.01 or 0.1 + or -, you can have a play with numbers, but just not big chages otherwise it will affect ac speed.

Cheers

Shessi

Icon12

Um, prop_anim_ratio ONLY effects the visual model, not the flight dynamics.
    That's like saying you could gain another 20 knots with a shinier alpha layer.

S...ha ha, yes you're right, I was thinking of the prop_tc setting...and damn, ok then, I'll put the polish away then..

Cheers

Shessi

Members who have read this thread: 0