Questions for those who use VR - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for those who use VR

Blog Entries
    I think everyone has already answered your questions, but I will say go for it, it's probably the best money you will spend on flight simming, I never "fly" without my HP Reverb G2 now and as previously mentioned corrective lenses are readily available.

SOH-CM-2018
    Hi again,

My Reverb is out for delivery by 8:00 PM today! If it comes early may not be able to try it today, loads of work around the house.
    Again, I appreciate all the advice and I will let you all know how I do with it. I may have more questions.

Thanks, Joe

SOH-CM-2018
    Well, I am back from my first flight in a Hellcat! It took longer to install mixed reality and set up the headset than my flight. 9 minutes according to logbook.

Very different! But wow!

It was interesting to be IN the cockpit, looking out over the wings, sticking my head out to the side. I think I taxied better.

I will have to better familiarize myself with where controls are in the cockpit as I am used to relying on peripherals.

VR does give a better perspective of distance and I do like being able to look over my shoulder.

The flight was a nice easy one as suggested. I once moved my head too fast and it went "swimming".

I will also have to play with settings to find best quality and best frames.

I might even get to like this!

Quote Originally Posted by jmfabio View Post
    Well, I am back from my first flight in a Hellcat! It took longer to install mixed reality and set up the headset than my flight. 9 minutes according to logbook.

Very different! But wow!

It was interesting to be IN the cockpit, looking out over the wings, sticking my head out to the side. I think I taxied better.

I will have to better familiarize myself with where controls are in the cockpit as I am used to relying on peripherals.

VR does give a better perspective of distance and I do like being able to look over my shoulder.

The flight was a nice easy one as suggested. I once moved my head too fast and it went "swimming".

I will also have to play with settings to find best quality and best frames.

I might even get to like this!
    There's no going back to 2D believe me - the sacrifice you make in being harder to use controls, is more than made up for by the shear immersion. I use DCS and having an enemy plane on your tail and SAMs trying to kill you make for a very stressful VR session .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    There's no going back to 2D believe me - the sacrifice you make in being harder to use controls, is more than made up for by the shear immersion. I use DCS and having an enemy plane on your tail and SAMs trying to kill you make for a very stressful VR session .
    Nothing like looking over to you wing and seeing 3D holes and flames coming out if it. You gotta love it.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Very different! But wow!

Ah yes, the taxi. It's one of the best feelings in VR actually, the way you can stick your head outside to get a better view... It's like you finally "get it", how easy or difficult it is to look forward in this or that aircraft. The taxi in the Corsair is a good example.

While you're testing, give a try to an open cockpit plane, even just the default Jenny will be a blast

That's the difficult part. But your peripherals won't move, so your brain knows where they are, more or less
    I rely on the mouse a lot, too. I know it's just there, sitting right next to my throttle quadrant, easy to reach.

Blog Entries
    So glad to hear you like it, it's like a whole new World. VR compared to TrackIR, there really is no comparison. Enjoy

SOH-CM-2018
    Hi all!

I hope to get some time today to sim and adjust settings and controls. In the VR settings everything was set low (I guess by default). I was getting mid 40 frames so I will boost some settings to see if I get more clarity in textures and stay above 30 FPS.

I can tell from some postings that some of you fly in DCS. I have DCS installed on my other machine but not the new one. Will have to download it and confront the steep learning curve.

If any of you can recommend some settings, I would appreciate that.

More later,

Thanks, Joe

Blog Entries
    Hi all!

I hope to get some time today to sim and adjust settings and controls. In the VR settings everything was set low (I guess by default). I was getting mid 40 frames so I will boost some settings to see if I get more clarity in textures and stay above 30 FPS.

I can tell from some postings that some of you fly in DCS. I have DCS installed on my other machine but not the new one. Will have to download it and confront the steep learning curve.

If any of you can recommend some settings, I would appreciate that.

More later,

Thanks, Joe
    With your rig, I imagine you can run any settings you want. Not necessarily a recommendation, more like a heads up. I run the "beta" version of DCS World. They use more multi-core utilization in the beta. I have had no problems running it. However, milage may vary.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

... I can tell from some postings that some of you fly in DCS. I have DCS installed on my other machine but not the new one. Will have to download it and confront the steep learning curve.
    Joe, not to sound like the proverbial annoying teacher Sir K.Now It All, i have DCS too and it's amazing (but not as amazing as MSFS...;-) but re DCS in VR my hint would be (more or less as a VR newbie, beginner) to leave that for later, once you know all in's and out's of VR in MSFS. There's a good chance you might get disorientated when you throw quite a different flightsim program into the VR learning curve so quickly while you still have to adjust and learn about so many settings in MSFS to begin with. There's even a chance VR in DCS might put you off VR in MSFS.... hehe

Simflying in VR is so very much different compared to what we were all used to for so many years. IMHO the easiest way to learn and get acqainted with this totally different simflying environment is to stick with one program only. Concentrate on it and learn it until you can fly it with your eyes closed (which, for one aspect, is actually true of course. Flying blind so to speak.. ;-). Once you feel totally comfortable with it, no more fiddeling about with settings and tweaking them, being sure about which aircraft performs best in VR and handles easiest regarding peripherals, then you'll have the perfect base to compare it with other flightsim programs. In the mean time and on top of that you should be having great fun too. ;-)

Mind you, just a hint, Joe and all IMHO of course. I can tell you i still don't feel up to trying VR in DCS. I still feel i haven't got everything i can squeeze out of my current system in VR and still LOVE flying MSFS in VR and don't want to spoil that. Hehe.. (also in the middle of moving to a completely new home for a couple months already. Compared to that learning to fly in VR is peanuts... )

Depending on the type of flying you do, you'll likely still want to return to pancake occasionally. Here's a new video by one of the most rabid flight sim VR fans on YouTube, trying out the Tobii head/eye tracker, and he covers most of the reasons why you would sometimes want to do this rather than VR. Personally, I'm not entirely on board with his claim that this Tobii thing is any better than TrackIR, but if you really hate wearing anything on your head, then maybe. They're not that far apart in price, so probably I'd go for the Tobii right now if I wasn't invested in TrackIR already.

The main benefits pointed out by this guy are higher detail, higher frame rates, and nothing on your head. Additional advantages would be that it is much easier to look at a second monitor or device displaying your nav data, approach charts, Vatsim connection window, and so on. If you don't do a lot of navigation or online flying but just enjoy the experience of being in the air, that may not apply for you.

August

SOH-CM-2018
    @ jmig, yes I have pretty much upped all my settings to ultra. Much better looking!

I took the FI P-38 up over Southern Pennsylvania from KMDT. In flight I was about 27 FPS with real weather mid altitude to high clouds. No stuttering but "jittering up and down" as though I have a tremor. I think I will lower the turbulence setting to See if that helps and lower some others to get above 30FPS.

This is indeed an interesting journey. The head still swims a bit. But no nausea. I have done some aerobatics, a loop and a hard turn. Still exploring.

@ javis Yes I think it will be a while before I do the DCS. So much to get used to in MSFS. I have some Saitek panels and two Thrustmaster MFDs that I have to get used to finding. Maybe I will make a special VR profile for my HOTAS and stick.

I am appreciative of the hints, opinions and encouragement for this foray.

Thanks, Joe

I've had a TrackIR 3 and 5, and the Tobii Eye Tracker got more use in its first few months than both of those did over years. It's just there and it works. And it works really, really well, especially if you tweak the sensitivity defaults a bit for your personal comfort. As much precision for my use as TrackIR, but no USB LED projector clipped to headphones to use it! It's just there, working, whenever you're flying without VR.

I love the VR immersion and experience with my Reverb G2. But I probably do 75% of my flying wiht the Tobii out of convenience.

Members who have read this thread: 1