Scenery help needed

Thread: Scenery help needed

SOH-CM-2023

Scenery help needed

Is there a tool or procedure I can follow to consolidate several model.obj files and a scenery file into one file that can be placed into the Community folder and have it work in MSFS? Please instruct me.

Thanks, Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    Is there a tool or procedure I can follow to consolidate several model.obj files and a scenery file into one file that can be placed into the Community folder and have it work in MSFS? Please instruct me.

Thanks, Jim
    You would have to build your own modelLib and create a Package that is placed in the Community folder. If you use models you didn't make and want to share your modelLib, then you should get permission from the creator.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks for you responce, John.
    I found a tutorial on YouTube to review covering the creation of ModelLib.bgl files.
    It will take a bit of time to understand and implement.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    Thanks for you responce, John.
    I found a tutorial on YouTube to review covering the creation of ModelLib.bgl files.
    It will take a bit of time to understand and implement.

Jim
    Yes, it does. I am still trying to learn the ins and outs of scenery building. Keeps the brain running, houever.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

SOH-CM-2023
    The tutorial by Rotor44 was fine for making a modellib for a single obj file that could be used by many sceneries. I need a way to combine several obj files into one modellib and the Rotornut44 tutorial is not designed to do that. I was sucessful using the 30-40 step tutorial making two modellib files, but have not a procedure to combine them.

Scenery designers that publish their work know how to have single modellib files and it may be tied into the initial design process. It is not worth the time or effort to redo my work.

If there is a tool to combine modellib files into one modellib, that would solve my problem, but such a tool or procedure may not exist.

Anyone know of such a tool or procedure they can recommend?

You can have as many models as you like in a modelib. Just add the gltf files and xml files inside the \PackageSources\Modelib\ folder and all textures in the \PackageSources\Modelib\texture\ folder. You can even have the gltf files and xml separately in different folders inside the \Modelib folder, one for each model. All of them will be compiled when building the package in one modelib.bgl file. If you place the package in you community folder you will be able to use the models in any scenery you are building.

SOH-CM-2023
    Many thanks, Dimus. Will give it a try.

Jim

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks again, Dimus, for your instruction to create a modellib from several objects.

Success! After finding I also needed the bin as well as the glltf and xml files for your procedure to work, your routine was used to combine 19 objects.

Your help was and is truly appreciated.

Jim

Glad it worked for you Jim. Yes all these files need to be in that folder.

Members who have read this thread: 0