Hiede
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiede

Hiede

Hiede

I hope you and your family are safe from the huge fires on Maui.

What a disaster!
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

My gosh yes Captain!! Horrible--terrifying.
    Hope they are OK

The friendliest people I've ever met, and their island is my idea of paradise. So painful to see this happening to the people of Maui. Hopefully over soon and all stay safe.

Hoping everyone is safe and well.

Yes...

You are in our hearts. Hang in there...
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I've been there in 1998 and 2002 for hiking

-this are very bad news from this Island, I visited all Island's except Molokai, and Maui was my favorite. Specialty Lahaina was a very beautiful little town.

Hiede, I hope you are OK there.

wolfi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laheina_1998_A.jpg  

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

It's been a heck tick few days,this is the first chance I've had to reply.We are all safe and on the north side of Maui and staying on the boat.Once I heard about Hurricane Dora coming from the south east I moved it,I did this last time too.My sisters and their families are with us.

Lahaina is no more.So many Historic sites destroyed,some over hundred years old.

Yesterday I flew a family to Oahu and picked up some supplies to help others that needed food and water.
    Many people have been taking people in,many have lost everything.

Today I got an observer and flew around the areas affected by the fires to search for people,when found any choppers came and got them.We did this for over 6 hours.Tomorrow I will fly out again and get more supplies.

Flew over my house and it looks fine.I live in the mountains and the wind was blowing the fire the fire away from it.

It's great to see people to go out of their way to help others in need.

A big thanks to the 2 SOH members who reached out to me via e-mail,it meant a lot to me.

Front door and inside the front door of the house

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front door.jpg   house 003.jpg  
    Last edited by Hiede; August 11th, 2023 at 01:34.

Take care of yourself Hiede, you and everyone on the island are in our thoughts. Hoping for better news, but this is simply heartbreaking.

Heide
    Good news your family is OK. Such terrble scenes coming from there. We are going to send some $ support to an agency we can trust with the funds.
    Can't do much but we know every little bit helps as we experienced during Hurricane Harvey. Amazing how peope just came together to help however they could.

Great to hear you are okay! I am praying for you and all the people of Maui.

As a former commander, I am going to get my chapter of the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) to make a sizeable donation to assist veterans, displaced by this disaster. I know a call has gone out to all the national chapters to make such a donation, but I will lobby our executive committee to double National's request.

Stay safe:

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Lahaina is destroyed except for about 3%,it was the Cultural Center of Maui.I have been to Lahaina since bringing in supplies for the people,mostly water as the water there in tainted now.

I have also flown out many people,mostly mothers and their children,to Oahu.Later today I will be making another flight to Oahu for more supplies.These trips last about 5 hours.I am tired but this is important to help others in need.

Hiede

Quote Originally Posted by Hiede View Post
    Lahaina is destroyed except for about 3%,it was the Cultural Center of Maui.I have been to Lahaina since bringing in supplies for the people,mostly water as the water there in tainted now.

I have also flown out many people,mostly mothers and their children,to Oahu.Later today I will be making another flight to Oahu for more supplies.These trips last about 5 hours.I am tired but this is important to help others in need.

Hiede
    Heide, bless you for your assistance. My DAV chapter will be contacting the Honolulu chapter of the DAV tomorrow to see if we can help with assisting displaced veterans.

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Heide, bless you for your assistance. My DAV chapter will be contacting the Honolulu chapter of the DAV tomorrow to see if we can help with assisting displaced veterans.

Greg
    Shadow Wolf,

All the help they can give will greatly appreciated,Thanks

I'm not the only helping,there are many lending a hand.Some people have even taken in families that have lost their homes.The airlines have only been charging $19 for people to fly out.

Tomorrow I go back home with my children and will relax a little.I think we will all feel better sleeping in our own beds.

Hiede

Hiede, you are a heroine of the topmost order in what you are doing and achieving. As you can see on this forum the strength of support for you is huge and unanimous. Stay safe my lovely. Graham Valentine.

I listened to a Canadian airline pilot weeping as he flew in to Maui on Saturday, he said he could never imagine paradise being reduced to what is left of Lahaina. Such a horrible tragedy.

Stay safe Hiede, and know that what you are doing is so very much appreciated, not just by citizens of Maui, but everywhere.

God bless.

Stay safe Hiede, God bless
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Hiede, I'm glad your family members are safe and your efforts to help/rescue the survivors are much appreciated. I am concerned about a model railroad friend of mine: Don McCuaig and his wife Vicky. They lived in Lahaina and he has not marked themselves safe on Facebook. Hopefully that is due to no internet or cell phone service. If you see their names on any list of survivors or victims, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Hiede, I'm glad your family members are safe and your efforts to help/rescue the survivors are much appreciated. I am concerned about a model railroad friend of mine: Don McCuaig and his wife Vicky. They lived in Lahaina and he has not marked themselves safe on Facebook. Hopefully that is due to no internet or cell phone service. If you see their names on any list of survivors or victims, please PM me.
    Tarpsbird,

Only some people can get cell service in some areas of Lahaina,also most of West Maui has no power.If they are in a shelter in the area they may not be able to reach out at the moment.I'm only allowed in when I bring supplies,only residents are allowed other wise.Sorry I can't be of much help at the moment.

I was asked if I could do another supply run tomorrow and everything will be waiting to be loaded when I arrive.This will be about 5 hr as usual so I won't be back until the afternoon.

Hiede

Hiede, thank you for the update. I've found out that my friend Don shot video of Maui brushfires near Lahaina some years ago, so he was certainly aware of the threat. I'm going with "no news is good news" until he posts on Facebook or I can reach him by phone.

Heide.....

... while I was concerned for you I did not post a question on your safety earlier because I recalled a exchange from way back that you were on the east side of Maui and following the situation developments I felt it was inappropiate to bother you questions. I also figured that you would be too busy , and concerned, with the any developments and time was of the essence to you. Glad you and your all are safe . May God be your co-pilot on these mercy missions you are flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    ... while I was concerned for you I did not post a question on your safety earlier because I recalled a exchange from way back that you were on the east side of Maui and following the situation developments I felt it was inappropiate to bother you questions. I also figured that you would be too busy , and concerned, with the any developments and time was of the essence to you. Glad you and your all are safe . May God be your co-pilot on these mercy missions you are flying.
    Fibber,

I lived in Lahaina from 2002 to 2012 and now live south of Lahaina.
    I've been in this area 21 years.The fire did all the damage north of my home.We did a lot of partying there though on Halloween.The streets were closed so the people could be safe and have fun.

In the beginning after the fires there not much help except fighting the fires and search and rescue.The people are the ones that originally helped the survivors not the Government. They took people into their homes,gave them food and water.I decided to fly out to get more supplies,I could only carry about 1000 lbs in my plane but I went several times to keep food and water coming to them.Others did the same but their planes were smaller and could only get a couple hundred lbs,it was team effort.

Even now people are cooking food and feeding the now homeless and supplying water.

Now land developers are coming in to try and buy everyone's land,How greedy they are.

Hiede

The vultures.......

.... descend and so soon. Makes one wonder about the arson speculation and lack of "government" help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    .... The vultures descend and so soon. Makes one wonder about the arson speculation and lack of "government" help.
    I've been wondering about the possibility of arson too.
    Disasters always bring out the best and worst in people. Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 182 crashed in our neighborhood in 1978. First responders and neighbors showed up almost simultaneously with the firefighters to help fight the fires, provide drinking water (it was a very hot day), and recover the remains of the victims. Then at night, police arrested looters who came in looking for valuables. Sad commentary on us humans.

It's good to hear how people are coming together to help each other. At the same time it's sad that you have this going on where people are trying to take advantage of peoples suffering during a crisis.

I'm glad that you and your family are safe and many thanks for all of the help you have been providing.

Rob

Members who have read this thread: 1