Weird Effect on US Forrestal Class Carriers ?

Thread: Weird Effect on US Forrestal Class Carriers ?

Lightbulb Weird Effect on US Forrestal Class Carriers ?

l Hello there,

I'm using the USS Forrestal Class Carriers that I've downloaded from your site's FSX Ships as static scenery for my AI Warbirds Flightplans.

The 3 I have, USS Forrestal, USS Saratoga and USS Ranger, work fine, except for one thing : a weird effect appears on their forward flightdecks, some flat white circle, as shown on the screen capture below, that fades in and out without stopping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture d'écran 2023-08-02 15.26.57.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	91511

I have no idea of what this is and don't kinow either where does it come from. The Kitty Hawk class carriers that I also have don't show such effect.

Does anyone know what causes it and is there a way to get reid of it ?

Thank you so much for yuour kind cooperation.

Pierre_NC

Looks like a wayward catapult steam effect!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images (1).jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	91512
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

It looks like that because the model isn't moving.

Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post
    It looks like that because the model isn't moving.
    No cat crew around, no planes - BUT: early each day the cat crews usually run the pistons forward and open the launch valves for a steam "blow through".

This warms up the cylinders to get the correct elongation on the multi-section cylinders. They have an index scale at the cat ends to show when they have stretched out to the proper length for launching.

All My Years

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    No cat crew around, no planes - BUT: early each day the cat crews usually run the pistons forward and open the launch valves for a steam "blow through".

This warms up the cylinders to get the correct elongation on the multi-section cylinders. They have an index scale at the cat ends to show when they have stretched out to the proper length for launching.
    I appreciate your insight so much. I spent 36 months aboard CVA-66 and never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I appreciate your insight so much. I spent 36 months aboard CVA-66 and never knew that.
    Thanks -

as another point, usually carriers keep at least one cat warm when not flying. The other three can be blown through if necessary. The pistons are moved forward into the water brakes with the shuttle retraction engine (it can go either forward or backward as needed, moving the pistons with it.

The steam on the nuke CVN cat accumulators is about 450 deg F, so it is reasonably quick -

Members who have read this thread: 0