Old Buckenham Airshow 2023

Thread: Old Buckenham Airshow 2023

Old Buckenham Airshow 2023

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Just down the road from me, along with Tibenham - James Stewart's other wartime base. It's a nice air show, helped enormously by the proximity of Duxford, Lakenheath and Mildenhall.

So many great aircraft. I especially enjoy seeing the ARCo Blenheim and Lysander displays, as well as the tail chase between Graham Peacock's TF-51D "Contrary Mary" and the ARCo Buchon. I've finally made sure to subscribe to that Youtube channel!

One of my favorite coffee table books is called Over Here by Steve Snelling, which is all about the US bomber Groups stationed around Norfolk with the 8th Air Force during WWII, chronicling much of what life was like living on and around the bomber bases during the war. Of course that includes the 453rd BG at "Old Buck", as well as Jimmy Stewart (including a few photos from his return visit to Tibenham in 1975, and his return visit to Old Buckenham in 1983). Lots of excellent photos and stories.

A friend of mine was a member of the Norfolk Gliding Club, and met James Stewart during one of his visits to Tibenham. Mr. Stewart spent some time alone in the now-demolished control tower and emerged rather subdued, apparently. No doubt, he had some sorrowful memories of the place.

Members who have read this thread: 1