DC Designs F-4 Phantom released... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC Designs F-4 Phantom released...

The weapons patch is on the Discord channel...
    https://discord.com/channels/1014154...69892017180722
    Not tried it as I can't get myself to climb out of the beautifully accurate Milviz cockpit (in P3D) into the slightly sad DC Designs cockpit with fantasy radar and autopilot...waiting for the JF release and will think again...

I installed the weapons patch. Worked perfectly. Will see about posting a picture or two, after I ​finish my morning coffee! NC

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    The weapons patch is on the Discord channel...
    https://discord.com/channels/1014154...69892017180722
    Not tried it as I can't get myself to climb out of the beautifully accurate Milviz cockpit (in P3D) into the slightly sad DC Designs cockpit with fantasy radar and autopilot...waiting for the JF release and will think again...
    Thanks for that, but I hate Discord. I tried signing up and using it before and I just can't figure it out (too old I guess).
    I was hoping Dean would post the patch on something like Flightsim.to, or even here at the SOH Library. Oh well, I'll try
    and figure it out or just go weaponless.

Thanks again anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Thanks for that, but I hate Discord. I tried signing up and using it before and I just can't figure it out (too old I guess).
    I was hoping Dean would post the patch on something like Flightsim.to, or even here at the SOH Library. Oh well, I'll try

Thanks again anyway.
    Hi, you're not alone...uninstalled the program....

Yes, when I try and follow the link provided by sp72, it asks me to sign into Discord, and when I do,
    I get a "No text channels found" error message, which for the life of me I can't figure put how to fix.
    Oh well, more aggravation than I need in my old age when I could be flying in MSFS instead. I would
    have liked to have had weapon loadouts on the F-4 though...

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    You mean like this one? Which is also linked in today's Facebook update;

https://flightsim.to/file/51186/dc-d...n-modification

I won't be posting here much longer, but any updates or add-ons required for my aircraft will always be made available as soon as I can. The Phantoms will be the last available anywhere apart from the Marketplace.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    You mean like this one? Which is also linked in today's Facebook update;

https://flightsim.to/file/51186/dc-d...n-modification

I won't be posting here much longer, but any updates or add-ons required for my aircraft will always be made available as soon as I can. The Phantoms will be the last available anywhere apart from the Marketplace.
    Thank you very much!

Well, $10 credit for Bing searching destroyed my resistance and brought the Phantom into my price range. It's really so nicely done; so cool to fly the coolest fighter of my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Well, $10 credit for Bing searching destroyed my resistance and brought the Phantom into my price range. It's really so nicely done; so cool to fly the coolest fighter of my childhood.
    Glad you like it! Plenty more coming to the Phantoms, including a cockpit texture makeover by Miltech Simulations when they have time to fit it in
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

I am hopeful that possibly you might create some of your absolute masterpiece repaints for the flightsim community? ! ☺️👍😉🎖️🏆NC

Thanks. Cheaper than in Marketplace...

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Thanks. Cheaper than in Marketplace...
    Nope. Costs $3 more on Just Flight.

For us Brits it's 5 gbp cheaper at JF, and you get 5% credit against next purchase
    I've bought it...a few niggles which hopefully Miltech wil will adress

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Nope. Costs $3 more on Just Flight.
    Nope. Cheaper in Just Flight. In EEC we use Euros. And we got bonus points....easy to compare.
    Regards

OK then, just us Americans get screwed.

just us Americans get screwed
    Not sure...the dollar price from JF will have been 'currency exchanged' twice
    For me it's 29.24 GBP from MS, 24.99 GBP from JF
    24.99 GBP is 31.75 USD
    What's the dollar price from MS?

Ok, regardless of price difference, bought it. A brief flight, no comments about the plane, what I miss is a more complete manual, not just using the on game check-list. "Gunsight reticle-as required", How? Where? Parking brake? just like so many others have to look everywhere . Why not a simple schematic drawing showing what and where? thanks

Reticle control is to the right of the radar scope - twist the knob to AG or AA. Reticle is green and should be red but hey-ho.

Parking brake is smaller yellow handle under the big red gear lever, can be tricky to grab - forwards to release.
    I think in R/L that was emergency brake and not normally used?

Can't get the AOA indicator lights to work - quite important for the Phantom where AOA is key!
    Artificial horizon is wrong, Stab Aug switches have been repurposed for autopilot channels, various labels wrong.
    Early Phantoms shouldn't have slats. Panels should be different for each variant.
    Auto-pilot and radar way too comprehensive.
    Floats a lot on landing.
    Textures I don't need to mention!

On the positive side, you can follow a flight plan via inertial navigation using the HSI and as you approach each waypoint it steps onto the next (simulates the rear-seater inputting coordinates on the fly).
    I asked Dean to do this a while ago and he said no, but seems to have changed his mind
    Makes it much easier to plan and follow a low-level route cross-country which I do a lot. The F-104s do this using PHI files.

On balance I think I'll get my moneys-worth flying this until a 'real' Phantom comes along.

Thanks Keith. No expert here, very far from it, agree totally with you, think plane needs improvement on all the points you mention. Thought Bf-109 was a tricky plane to land....as you say this one is a floater. And wonder why so much work to produce a model and not just a little bit more to write a useful, usable, manual. Will wait for some kind of improvement to find out if I made a mistake, again.

This will probably be my final post here. Despite what has now become a fairly typical derogatory tone from some users here, I don't want folks to not be able to use the Phantoms correctly:

If you use the Interactive Checklists, select a control command and then click on the "Eye" icons, you will find a friendly little arrow that actually points you toward all required switches, handles and buttons in the cockpit of all my airplanes. This includes things such as AoA Indexer light controls, Parking Brakes etc - they're all perfectly easy to find if you use the tools made available to you. These checklist methods are replacing manuals, as console users ( a huge part of the market now ) cannot access a manual from within the sim. Like it or not, that's the way things are going.

The Artificial Horizon will be made more complex to include heading and ILS bars etc, but like the F-14's ASI / Mach indicator which should be the same as the Phantom's, I have started with a more basic user-friendly version and will enhance it further in updates. AP and radar are what the majority of users want - again, I build for a mixture of realism but also practical functionality within MSFS rather than the real airplane's requirements. Same applies for labels, Stab Aug controls, colour of reticules, differing panels for differing variants and so on. The slats are in fact leading-edge flaps, and were present on all Phantoms - that's a label typo on my part which will be corrected. These Phantoms have no slats, which in real life were introduced to later variants to help prevent departures from controlled flight that plagued the earlier Phantoms at low-speed and high-alpha.

The Phantom was considered very stable in the landing configuration, far more so than the F-14 it replaced. Jmig will likely have a much better knowledge of this, but I've heard it from several former Phantom pilots during development, so while we're waiting for more feedback from our Phantom pilot testers before making any flight model changes, a tendency to float on landing is quite likely correct, or near-correct behaviour, for the type.

As a final line here at Sim Outhouse, I have always built aircraft that are more about enjoyment, good performance on any system, and entertainment more than anything else. More than that, I telegraph launches months in advance so that everyone has ample opportunity to see what they look like before deciding to buy.

Those seeking "more", and then complaining here or elsewhere that x-y-z aircraft of mine don't have the "more" that they want, are wasting their time as they're not my target market and have no effect on DC Designs. Likewise, no matter how hard they try to be cutting or insulting about any aspect of my products, they're outnumbered 100-1 by those who know precisely what they're getting, thoroughly enjoy the airplanes and buy more of them every time I launch a new one. The Phantoms are my most successful launch yet. There's no way on Earth I'd ever consider changing the DC Designs business model, because it's already proven to work so much better than any of the others out there. Those who think that even a high-fidelity aircraft in flight simulation is somehow "real" are living in fantasy land, and I no longer really worry about their opinions or comments on social media. What they want, enjoy, or consider to be "quality" or not, doesn't necessarily reflect what others think, and those who like to think that DC Designs aircraft are somehow of a "lesser" standard when it comes to satisfying the target audience are in a deep, deep minority. Don't take my word for it, check the Marketplace.

Enjoy this hobby for what it is; something that can be as complex, or as fun, as the individual user desires.

DC signing off.

Just one word about "If you use the Interactive Checklists, select a control command and then click on the "Eye" icons, you will find a friendly little arrow that actually points you toward all required switches, handles and buttons in the cockpit of all my airplanes.". In Operations manual I read "will highlight". People will never find anything if they don´t know what to look for. Never look for an arrow. So sorry....but think I´m entitled to a polite opinion for as inappropriate as they may be.
    Signing off.

Sorry to hear this, Dean. Yes, I've noted a bad tone from many as well. Shame.

Don

Blog Entries

...These Phantoms have no slats, which in real life were introduced to later variants to help prevent departures from controlled flight that plagued the earlier Phantoms at low-speed and high-alpha.
    The "C" and "D" models had what was known as Boundary Layer Control (BLC). When the gear was down hot engine air was diverted over the leading edge of the wing. The flow of air helped keep the air flowing smoothly at low speed and high AOA. It wasn't as good as the leading Edge flaps but it helped.

The Phantom was considered very stable in the landing configuration, far more so than the F-14 it replaced. Jmig will likely have a much better knowledge of this, but I've heard it from several former Phantom pilots during development, so while we're waiting for more feedback from our Phantom pilot testers before making any flight model changes, a tendency to float on landing is quite likely correct, or near-correct behaviour, for the type...
    The Phantom was a very stable aircraft. Think of a Brick with two powerful engines. When you cut the power, she dropped. I don’t recall the Phantom ever floating, as per a GA aircraft.

My suggestion for landing is to fly the AOA to about twenty feet above the runway. If you are Navy Chief or an exMarine you fly the AOA to touchdown with no flare. The gear was designed to take this kind of landing. If you are a USAF wennie, as Navy pilots think of us, when you cut the power at about twenty feet, you flare slightly. She will drop (more gently) to the runway without floating.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Dean, for every rivet-counter who complains about minutia or posts the three things wrong with a plane that gets hundreds of things right, there are dozens of us here who enjoy your planes and will miss your posts here. Sorry to see you go, but I get it. Folks defending negativity as their rights as customers will soon be shouting into an empty wind.

Really enjoying the Phantom! And I enjoy the F-15 a ton... I was lucky enough to get 90 minutes in the back of an F-15D, including some stick time, and the DCD fidelity is just what I'm looking for to recreate the experience.

Anyway, the Phantom's phabulous. Currently trying to master some Blue Angels routines and having a blast.

Members who have read this thread: 5