P Clawsons SOC Seagull revised UT

Thread: P Clawsons SOC Seagull revised UT

SOC Seagull skinpack1 UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - American

Description: Curtiss SOC Seagull Skinpack 1 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of repaints for my recent revision of Paul Clawson's SOC Seagull for CFS 2.

The textures represent aircraft of the period before Pearl Harbour, & are:

1-O-2 USS Arizona, circa May 1940

5-O-9 USS New York, forming part of the Atlantic Fleet's Neutrality Patrol, circa July 1940

9-CS-17 USS St Louis, Light Grey overall, circa April 1941

5-CS-2 USS Northampton, 7th December 1941

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Paul Clawson for the original aircraft, developed for use in FS2004.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
    JUL 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit SOC Seagull skinpack1 UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

SOC Seagull skinpack2 UT

Description: Curtiss SOC Seagull Skinpack 2 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of repaints for my recent revision of Paul Clawson's SOC Seagull for CFS 2.

The textures represent aircraft of the period between Pearl Harbour & the end of 1942, & are:

Black 7 USS Houston, circa June 1942. Note the large fuselage star.

White 10 USS Portland, circa August 1942

Black 18 USS Augusta, Operation Torch, November 1942

unmarked USS Columbia, circa December 1942

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

UncleTgt
    JUL 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit SOC Seagull skinpack2 UT

SOC Seagull skinpack3 UT

Description: Curtiss SOC Seagull Skinpack 3 by UncleTgt

The textures represent aircraft of the later war period, 1943 onwards, & are:

Black 13 USS Columbia, circa July 1943. Still in 2 colour camo, but with the red edged star & bar.

White 4 USS New Orleans, circa October 1943. Now in 3 colour camo scheme, but still with the red edged star & bar.

Black 9 USS Louisville, circa February 1944. 3 colour camo & the star & bar have dark blue edging.

White 12 USS Louisville, circa October 1944. By now the main task undertaken was SAR for strike crews, so the fuselage star was enlarged, & the upper wing ID numbers start to reappear.

Thanks to

UncleTgt
    JUL 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit SOC Seagull skinpack3 UT

P Clawsons SOC Seagull revised UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Curtiss SOC Seagull by UncleTgt

This is a revision of Paul Clawson's SOC Seagull CFS 2. Because of the extensive nature of the revisions I've decided to upload as a complete aircraft for ease of installation.

This started out as an exercise in improving my G-Max skills. The model has been revised extensively. It's been demirrored, so camoflage textures & wartime markings would display correctly. I replaced the original crew figures with copies of Wolfi's TBF crewmen.

The 30 cal rear gun is new, as is the (imagined) turtledeck. The default flying condition is with the rear canopy open, pilot's canopy closed, & the turtledeck collapsed with the 30 cal deployed, ready for action...the AI aircraft will appear this way.

I added a few details to the cockpit interior. The prop disk has some depth to it, like Akemi modelled his prop disks.

The front canopy opens/closes using the canopy command.

The rear canopy closes operating the tailhook. The 30 cal stows away & the turtledeck raises, the Observer turns to face forwards & the rear canopy shuts.

The SOC had a full width leading edge slat on the upper wing. This has now been modelled, & is operated automatically by PStrany's Me109 autoslat gauge.

The airfile was thoroughly revised to give believable performance in speed, range & ceiling. It could still be improved though...

The dp file makes use of kelticheart's exhaust effects. THere are early & late war options provided.
    The early war DP uses Captain Kurt's early war 100lb bombs, my US mk17 DCs, & KM's Internal Tank
    The late war DP uses DBolts 100lb bombs, my US mk41 DCs, & KM's Internal Tank

I replaced the VC & 2D panels, although the pilot's forward view is pretty limited!. The panel & airfile contain the entries for catapult launch. I included Bill Kestell's water spray effects for take-off & landing.

For a sound file, I adapted Obio's R-1340 Noorduyn Norseman soundpack. It could still be improved though...

The texture supplied is:

4-CS-15 USS Indianapolis, circa April 1942

Thanks to
    Paul Clawson for his original FS2002/2004 aircraft
    Shessi & Allen for answering my noob questions regarding G-Max.
    Wolfi for the use of his TBF crewmen.
    PStrany for the use of his Me109 autoslat gauge.
    A big thank you to Allen for his model tutorial, & DOSmdlc_v2 tools, & especially for helping me with getting keyframe animations in G-Max to export properly!!!

UncleTgt
    JUL 2023

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit P Clawsons SOC Seagull revised UT

Just great UT! Thanks
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Hi UncleTgt
    Great work as usual.
    Thanks for these.
    And thanks to Paul Clawson for the original.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Thanks Unc, I've always found seaplanes and amphibs very entertaining in CFS2.

It must have been quite an adventure for the aircrew who operated these "flying boats" daily under such hazardous wartime conditions.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Thank you for doing a great job of updating a great model.

well done,
    normb

Very nice little seaplane, beautiful paintjobs, thank you very much!🙂

That Tri-color paint.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Very nice work
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

catapultage d'un Seagull par le CL 57 Montpelier

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Very nice work
    bravo pour ce magnifique hydravion

Attachment 91382Attachment 91383Attachment 91384

What a wonderful addition and thank you for sharing.

I was wondering if someone might please advise on one small issue I'm trying to resolve.

I brought the model in to FSX and (using Paul's original AIR file, and an alternate prop texture) and it is wonderful! But...

I noticed that when viewing model from the rear, an ugly black black appears in the forward cockpit.

I opened the model in MCX and it displays the following message:

So, being a person who tries simple fixes first, I created several versions of the VC texture mentioned: $VC1.BMP, VC1. BMP and tried placing them in both the model's texture foler, as well as the main FSX texture folder. Neither achieved success...sigh.

Can someone please explain how to get this to display in the game? Is the VC texture some sort of CFS2-only aspect?

I tried to convert the model in MCX to FSX and successfully removed the offending item, but, alas the model now has terribly slow prop and the ailerons now droop....sigh.

I would love to include this model in my hanger, as I have the ships they would scout for already working in my FSX game, and would love to create some missions using them.

I've included a few shots of the model in my game below.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

KevinB

The checker board texture happens in MCX as that model part is textured with the Virtual Cockpit gauge panel texture. VC textures should be read from the PANEL folder.

Wish I could be more help but the model doesn't work in my copy of FSX.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Brilliant! That worked! Thank you.

Now I just need edit the texture to better suit.

Meanwhile, I can enjoy some delightful exterior flying.

KevinB

Members who have read this thread: 2