Flightsim.to's new look...... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flightsim.to's new look......

Any redesign is going to get complaints. But this one has some serious usability and functionality issues.

The mixed size tiles in listings are super-hard to scan. I'm guessing FS.to doesn't have an experienced UX designer, because this is 101-level stuff.

There's no longer a new uploads page, nor the ability to mark all current uploads as "seen." This totally destroyed my daily fs.to visit process. The new design requires you to scroll past the news, hides new uploads under the fold where some number of users won't see them, has really slow scrolling/refresh performance, and who knows how it's going to work if you've been off the site for a week.

They really need to roll these kinds of updates out to a test audience -- there's really simple stuff that would have made this less of a regression from the old site.

(One thing you can say about Sim-Outhouse... You'll never be bothered by user interface design changes! :-)

That sounds like a good use case and critical feedback to pass along to the site developers.

Posted it as feedback to their announcement page, and sent it as direct feedback as well.

Then a few minutes ago, https://flightsim.to/since-visited was working again. (Link was dead this morning.)

Hopefully it will stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Attempt #2, here are the steps needed to find the download of your choice: 1) Select add-on category from top menu ('Liveries') 2) Search or manually select category of choice ('DC-3) 3) Filter based on desired selection criteria ('New', 'Recently Updated', 'Most Downloads', Personally Downloaded')
    However, unless I just didn't see it, you can't simply select "New" for any liveries. You have to select a aircraft. I do not see where I can choose a category of aircraft. That alone makes the process a lot more tedious. The system wasn't broke. Sounds like someone got paid a LOT of cash to overhaul a site that didn't need overhauled.I posted too soon. Just read the above. Much improved from the first "remake".

I just took a quick look at it and see they switch to 'dark mode' which with my eye sight getting worse over time I actually find easier to read, but the organization is not great. Worse it seams not to work well. I went to 'other' and then 'additional aircraft' and found lots of things there that were not aircraft.

In general I found flightsim.to to be all the worst things I hate about modern website design and they are not making it better.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Bottom left... Person icon lets you sign in with your existing cred's - no need for a new account. Below that is an icon that I thought was a settings icon. Turns out it's a switch between light (guess it's supposed to be a sun) and dark (crescent moon icon). After signing in, click the profile icon again to get to your downloads list and all the other stuff you're used to using. It's just a new interface slapped onto the existing database from what I can see. User friendliness may be up for debate, but it's all there.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Something else the is new (different) is the ability to choose the number / size of thumbnails in most of the menus from 210 across. Can't tell if more freedom is actually more better, but it is another knob of personalization.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails menu.jpg  

A lot of broken links I have to track down now so not happy about that.

This is a fascinating thread. Here are the use cases I have found and a few test:

Use Case #1 - I bought the new and outstanding Bf 109, what liveries are there?
    Effort: 1 text entry and 3–4 click's depending on filtering options
    Navigation: Home Page > Liveries > Search/Select > Filter

Use Case #2 - Damn I have a lot of add-ons, I bet some of them are outdated
    Effort: 2 click's
    Navigation: Home Page > Personal Tab > My Downloads

Use Case #3 - John Terrell is awesome, I wonder what he has been up to?
    Effort: 1 scroll/search, 1 text entry, 3 clicks
    Navigation: Home Page > Liveries > Search/Select > Filter > Manual Search/select > Member profile (Uploads are now front and center)

Note: As far as I know, this has always been the least efficient search, and a major miss in the UI from inception

Use Case #4 - I feel like something different, what's new since I was last here?
    Effort: 1–2 click's depending on whether or not 'mark as read' is selected
    Navigation: Home Page > My Last visit

Note: The 'My Last Visit' icon is a Clock on the left-side of the screen, definitely not visually intuitive

Use Case #5 - I feel like something different and high-quality, what is latest and greatest?
    Effort: 1-click and a trip to the fridge for a beer
    Navigation: Home Page > Hot > Fridge

Note: A trip to the fridge is necessitated as I am reminded that the majority of the flight sim world cares about flying sausages rather than historically significant or comprehensive flight mechanics

I don't like it.

Notifications [of updates] are harder to find.

Where has the scenery map gone please?!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by spatialpro View Post
    I don't like it.

Notifications [of updates] are harder to find.

https://map.flightsim.to/

Quote Originally Posted by banjoman1960 View Post
    Many thanks!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

I miss the "My followed files" section, which I found very useful.
    Anyone found it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Perhaps they brought on a few chaps from Apple and Microsoft...they are "experts" at fixing what formerly worked superbly...

Kent
    Now, that I find funny. Careful, we have our own Apple super engineer and he is watching.

On the flip side, no one is complaining about MSFS 2024 anymore.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

in fact at the moment everything seems messed up ... time to get used to

I'm 72 now and what I've found when things get changed is that I don't like it.
    It's usually not that there's something wrong with it, it's just that I get used to things being a certain way and I ask " why can't they just leave things alone?"
    Eventually I get used to the change and I will complain if they ever change it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    It's usually not that there's something wrong with it, it's just that I get used to things being a certain way and I ask " why can't they just leave things alone?"
    Eventually I get used to the change and I will complain if they ever change it again.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by spatialpro View Post
    Two clicks - sceneries tab, then map. See attachment...

Age ain't got a thing to do with that - I'm 58 and been the same way most of my life!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Free Scenery for Microsoft Flight Simulator - Google Chrome 7_12_2023 5_40_41 PM.png  
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

This is a bit like my supermarket changing the positions of the shelves at least once every three years. At first I can't find anything until I get used to the new order. Neither however adds to my purchases/downloads - rather the opposite. No use teasing the old man.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    This is a bit like my supermarket changing the positions of the shelves at least once every three years. At first I can't find anything until I get used to the new order. Neither however adds to my purchases/downloads - rather the opposite. No use teasing the old man.
    They do that to you too! I absolutely friggin hate it when the supermarket changes the shelving around. Now, we return you to our regular scheduled discussion.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    They do that to you too! I absolutely friggin hate it when the supermarket changes the shelving around. Now, we return you to our regular scheduled discussion.
    Not to mention that the second I pass the automatic doors and enter the supermarket, I CANNOT for the life of me remember "what the blank" I came in there to pick up...Maybe the auto-doors interfere with my brainwaves...I'll try a tin-foil hat next time...

Kent

P.S. Growing a little less annoyed with flightsim.to's layout...learning how to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Not to mention that the second I pass the automatic doors and enter the supermarket, I CANNOT for the life of me remember "what the blank" I came in there to pick up...Maybe the auto-doors interfere with my brainwaves...I'll try a tin-foil hat next time...

Kent

P.S. Growing a little less annoyed with flightsim.to's layout...learning how to make it work.
    You make it all the way to the store before you forget what you came for?
    Sometimes I go out to the garage and start the car and then ask myself where it was I was going.

Blog Entries
    You make it all the way to the store before you forget what you came for?
    Sometimes I go out to the garage and start the car and then ask myself where it was I was going.
    Now that is funny.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

All of this reminds me of the initial comments about flightsim.com when they changed forum software!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Members who have read this thread: 0