Wellington and 4Klb bomb

Thread: Wellington and 4Klb bomb

Wellington and 4Klb bomb

I'm looking at some ORBs fir 12 Sqdn early September 1942 claiming a bomb load of 1x4000lb HCNI and then talks about "Nickels dropped". I must be missing something as I am sure a 4K bomb won't be able to be puit in or dropped from the bomb bay given the way the bomb bay doors open. In other words 3 rows of bomb positions to allow effectively 4 doors.
    4K HCNI and "Nickels" must refer to some other load even though they write "1x4000lb HCNI"

Ideas?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Very interesting indeed. So we nee to make sure the bomb bay doors only open from the sides in the MkIII at least. The YouTube of loading an early cookie seems to indicate that, in a MkII, it went fully into the bay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcrbIwXI1jE&t=167s and we have such a cookie in CFS3. MY problem is that , using the current MKI, it fits in but in theory it shouldn't withe the current bomb bay door configuration. Let's see what Ted says after he comes back from his vacation!

Thanks for that!

So this is what I mean re door and also with cookie

empty doors open

With cookie. I have tried other positions but hard to get on the C of G spot

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Wellington

I am making mkXs as they were the most numerous (only real difference between the III and X are the engines and the deletion of some of the widows) and I like them as many did not have all those silly windows. I will also add beam guns as needs along with other refinements. I can make the doors do whatever you want. It will need to be a stand alone if the doors operate differently than the "normal" configuration. Don't count on it but I may just make an entirely new plane....

I think, given from the late '42 ORBS, the MkIII/Xs seem to carry heavier bombs, including the 4K 'Cookie', that there should just be the 2 bomb bay doors opening from the outer edges of the bomb bay as in most 4 engine bombers. Now, in CFS3, the 4K still just drops 'through' the inner doors, so it's more a ? of aesthetics or historical accuracy.

Members who have read this thread: 0