Alpha Throttle unit and USB extension cables

Thread: Alpha Throttle unit and USB extension cables

Alpha Throttle unit and USB extension cables

So, I bought the Honeycomb Alpha throttle unit some months ago. Love it. Works great. This weekend I re-arranged stuff in my office. Upon plugging in all the cables, all of a sudden Windows doesn’t know what the thing is when I plug it in. “Unknown USB device is not recognized by Windows” message. Long story short, if I use a USB extension cable with a blue connector to connect the Alpha throttle unit to my computer, Windows doesn’t recognize it. Any USB extension with black or white connector works fine. The long version of the story is I spent the last couple hours learning this! In case this helps anyone in the future.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

The blue connector is USB 3.0 or greater, but I don't know if there's a difference in how it's wired. It could well be a compatibility issue.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Correct, regarding the blue connectors. But why would they cause "loss of recognition" with Windows? That's weird.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Blog Entries
    I just purchased Alpha and Bravo units for my fourth flight sim cockpit redo. I am simplifying for use with VR. I also want to fly both with a yoke and right-hand throttles, and a stick with left hand throttles, as the occasion arises. My solution was to remove the right side of the cockpit where the side stick was and build a flip able long table like consol. On one end I mounted the Honeycomb throttles. On the other end the side stick. I just flip the wheeled console 180 to get to what I want.

I have both the Bravo Throttles and the TM Joystick connected to the computer's usb ports using extension cables. Both work perfectly. Experience has taught me to connect joysticks and complicated devices directly to the computer. If unable, use a powered usb port. (Which is how the Alpha is connected) That usually works. If it doesn’t swap things between the computer and the powered usb box until they all work.

If NONE of that works. Try and purchase an addon usb card that works with a PCI slot inside the computer.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Members who have read this thread: 0